A knitting design query!

Old March 16th 04, 12:25 AM

Default A knitting design query!

Okay here goes... I'm asking a question of which I have no knowledge of. It
is in regards to knitting. As some of you might be aware I have a yahoo
group for Male Stitchers and one of our Knitting Male Stitchers came up with
a question that no one can really help him on. He's looking for knitting
designs of Dragons (or anything mythological). Are there such "ainimals"?
Does any one have an idea where I might suggest he go to try to find out.
I, so far, suggested www.about.com and check out the stichers sections and
then even try to ask for advise there but then I thought since this is such
a vast group with vast stitching abilities someone might have an answer that
I could forward to him.... CAN anyone help, PLEASE...

Thanks
Marc (you can either answer here or at my personal email)

--
http://community.webshots.com/user/needlemania

http://www.cyberstitchers.com/Galler...=1065918331265

Old March 16th 04, 01:03 AM
Lucille

I know such a thing does exist because I made one many years ago. I've been
trying to remember where I found the instructions but so far I'm coming up
blank.

I suggest that you post this message to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn newsgroup.
I'm think someone on that newsgroup might be able to help you.

Lucille

Old March 16th 04, 02:13 AM
Ann

Enchanted Knitting ( Catharine Cartwright-Jones/Roy Jones, same authors, I
believe, as Tap-Dancing Lizard) has a Tibetan Dragon, something called
"gripping beast" that is similar to Celtic animal figures. These are rather
elaborate single color designs.

There's a very simple cartoonish fire-breather in Patons 499 (Knit
Menagerie).

www.lionbrand.com has Enchanted Knitting, as does amazon.com

Ann.

Old March 16th 04, 04:47 AM
Bungadora

Sorry, don't think I've seen any. I have a Dover book of Saxon Transylvanian
cross stitch that has some dragon designs in it - I'm not quite sure where it
got to, possibly the last garage sale sucked it up. The designs were quite
simple, and I used a dragon (or maybe it was a lion) in the yoke of a circular
knit sweater for a friend several years ago. One caution, knitting squares are
taller and narrower than cross stitch squares. But no one checks the anatomical
proportions of a dragon anyway.

Anyway, I second the suggestion you post in the yarn group. They know a lot of
pattern sites.
Dora
Old March 17th 04, 10:39 PM
Marjorie Holme

Try the yahoo group Knitlist---it's huge and they have lots of
knowledgable knitters. Also, there are a couple of places where you can
find knit-stitch graph paper (it's not quite square) so he could chart
his own dragon. Google Knit + graph paper (that's how I find them when I
need them). Marjorie

Old March 18th 04, 04:39 AM
FKBABB

Tap-Dancing Lizard BRBR

What ever happened to them? They used to have a great site, with thematic free
patterns adapted for cross stitch, knitting, and bead weaving. It was
fascinating to see how they would take a standard motif -- the Green Man, say
-- and adapt it for the three techniques, adding and subtracting based on the
strengths and limitations of the technique.

Annie
Old March 19th 04, 10:51 PM
Boohoo1971

He's looking for knitting
designs of Dragons (or anything mythological). BRBR

He could get a cross stitch chart of dragons and use a duplicate stitch to work
the dragons. To find dragon charts go to www.hoffmandis.com and click on
"online reference catalog" then enter "dragons" as a key word. Now if he
wants to knit a dragon toy, sorry I can't help, but he could always try google.
Boo
Old March 20th 04, 08:53 AM
kirby19711

Marc,
Dover has several pages for books with dragon designs on their website
doverpublications.com including stencils and colouring books. Some
include other mythological creatures. Ebay is another possibility but
if you find something check half bay, the prices are usually better.
The older craft magazines had dragon designs from time to time. Is
there a particular style that he is looking for? There is a listing
for Rugs and Wall Hangings by Maggie Lane on ebay. The dragon is
quite large and my copy is in NJ. If you'd like to see it we'll be up
and back within the next 2 weeks and you could take a look at it. I'm
sure I'll need something from Stitches That count.

Anne
right now in Harmony Hills