I truly need your advice.

Old October 23rd 05, 10:49 AM
Roberta Zollner

Default I truly need your advice.

Wish I lived in your neighborhood -you have great garage sales! My stash is
library folded and placed edge up in wire baskets, sorted more or less by
color. The thickness of the fold gives me a pretty good indication of how
much is in the piece, and the baskets make it easy to see which one to pull
off the rack.
Roberta in D

"Phyllis Nilsson" schrieb im
Newsbeitrag ...
I went to another garage sale this weekend. I bought six Crack 'N Peel
Plus boxes of fabric on the first day, and went back and got the rest
during her last hour of the sale today (17 more boxes and 12 gallon-size
ZipLock bags. There was so much I have no idea how many yards I bought. I
just know it was a bunch. The pieces range from 2 yards to fat quarters
and are all LQS quality.

I've always sorted by color with the small pieces on top of the larger
ones. I have glass-fronted cabinets because I enjoy looking at the
fabrics. However, with these last two garage sales, I don't have enough
room to do that. I've told my husband that if I read of another garage
sale with quilting fabric he is to remind me not to go! I will not need
another piece of fabric ever.

I figured I'd sort by size, then color, putting the yardage in the
cabinets (four) with 4-5 yard pieces in one, 4-3 in the second, 3-2 in the
third, and 2-1 in the last cabinent with fat quarters in large plastic
boxes. This won't work well because the boxes are heavy when full and
stacking and unstacking (they are translucent, but not transparent)is hard
on the back. Smaller pieces will be placed (by color) in the Crack 'N Peel
boxes and I have four plastic shoe boxes which are filled with even
smaller pieces.

I need some good ideas on how to store this stash. Some of my fabric is
labeled as to the size, but not the new stuff and only about half of what
I already had. Since I usually know how much fabric I'll need for any
given project, I don't want to dig through for a piece of fabric the is
the wrong size and then have to move everything aside to get it back in
its proper place.

Can you tell I need help? Please give me your advice on how to store this
fabric: color? size? HELP?

Old October 23rd 05, 01:53 PM
Kate Dicey

Phyllis Nilsson wrote:

Can you tell I need help? Please give me your advice on how to store
this fabric: color? size? HELP?

I have a large loft. Send it all to me and I will catalogue it and
store and use it for you! Problem solved!

Hehehhehehehehehe!

No, really... I think I might stack the bigger bits and the bits I was
less likely to use quickly in the crates and the bits I'd want to get at
quickly in the cabinets...

Also, I might go through it and bag up a few selections as future
projects, and crate them...
http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old October 23rd 05, 02:02 PM
Carolyn McCarty

Congrats on your new acquisition, Phyllis, I am soooooo envious!!!

They don't have glass doors, but I have found that the inexpensive stackable
cabinets from Target or Walmart are great for fabric, books, transparent
plastic boxes of scraps, and so much more. DIY, 2-door cabinets with two
adjustable shelves cost about $30 each. They can also be anchored to the
wall so they can't tip over onto you or the kidlets or the QIs.

For sure it seems best to sort by color, IMHO. When I look for something to
work with, I first look for color and don't want to search through
forty-'leven places to check out all the blues or greens or whatever.

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you aren't trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools --Red Green

Old October 23rd 05, 02:32 PM
Phyllis Nilsson

Unfortunately, my wallet is somewhat slimmer. I won't know whether I
made a good deal until I get it all in the house, but I think so. This
is one case where my heart ruled my head in both instances; my desire
for more fabric as well as the lady being a single mom who is
unemployed. She had reduced the price by quite a bit from what she
originally had on the fabric, and I just felt it was something I needed
to do. I think of it as a win-win situation.

Patti S wrote:
Ohhhhhh Phyllis....... what a lovely, lovely problem to have!
I'd definitely sort by color, and then maybe novelty prints and such
separately. Polly's idea sounds like a winner too (the zip lock idea for
smaller pieces).

You're one lucky lady!! Have fun looking at your new treasure.

Hugz
Patti in Seattle

"forgiveness is the fragrance the violet sheds on the heel that has
crushed it"
**mark twain**

Old October 23rd 05, 02:38 PM
Phyllis Nilsson

These garage sales were strange this year. I only go to the ones with
quilting fabric listed and last year I think there was only one. These
last two were quite close together, but now I'm done

Last night when I was watching tv I was measuring the fabric from the
ZipLock bags and trying to figure out how to fold them so I could tell
the size without measuring every piece. My cupboard shelves are only
10" deep, and I'd like to keep the folds toward the glass. The half
yard pieces are working out pretty well the way she had them folded, but
the rest . . . I don't know for sure yet.

Old October 23rd 05, 02:42 PM
Phyllis Nilsson

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to have to look around Monday and
see what I can find. It's either that or get rid of other stuff so I
can use the shelving space I already have. Not only am I pack rat, but
my husband is too. He makes latch hook wall hangings from kits and we
have absolutely dozens of them completed without a home to go to.

Old October 23rd 05, 08:26 PM
Kate Dicey

Phyllis Nilsson wrote:

What a kind and generous friend you are!!!

I do so love to help!
Old October 24th 05, 03:31 AM
CNY/VAstitcher

Default suit and blouse fabrics, WAS: I truly need your advice.

Phyllis Nilsson wrote:
I have yards and yards of woven gabardine to make business suits
(what I wore 12 years ago) and never got around to it, but don't know if
a couple layers of that would be warm enough for "innards" for the
homeless quilts. I have some blouse fabric (I hate making blouses) that
I can't use for quilting. If I could find someone to use them they
could have them, then I'd have room for this "enlarged-as-much-as-
it-is-ever-going-to-be" stash. Guess I could take them to the Salvation
Army store and use the drawers for the theme pieces.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Send the blouse fabrics and, if you choose, the
gabardines!! I'm in the process of making myself a new wardrobe and
couls always use some more blouses and slacks/jackets!! See....You help
me, I help you, everybody is happy

Larisa
Old October 24th 05, 04:38 AM
Phyllis Nilsson

Thank goodness! Send me your snail mail address and I'll get them boxed
up. I really hated to just give them to strangers. You've saved the
day (and some room for my stash). Thank you!!!!!