I truly need your advice.

Old October 23rd 05, 12:03 AM
Phyllis Nilsson

Default I truly need your advice.

I went to another garage sale this weekend. I bought six Crack 'N Peel
Plus boxes of fabric on the first day, and went back and got the rest
during her last hour of the sale today (17 more boxes and 12 gallon-size
ZipLock bags. There was so much I have no idea how many yards I bought.
I just know it was a bunch. The pieces range from 2 yards to fat
quarters and are all LQS quality.

I've always sorted by color with the small pieces on top of the larger
ones. I have glass-fronted cabinets because I enjoy looking at the
fabrics. However, with these last two garage sales, I don't have enough
room to do that. I've told my husband that if I read of another garage
sale with quilting fabric he is to remind me not to go! I will not need
another piece of fabric ever.

I figured I'd sort by size, then color, putting the yardage in the
cabinets (four) with 4-5 yard pieces in one, 4-3 in the second, 3-2 in
the third, and 2-1 in the last cabinent with fat quarters in large
plastic boxes. This won't work well because the boxes are heavy when
full and stacking and unstacking (they are translucent, but not
transparent)is hard on the back. Smaller pieces will be placed (by
color) in the Crack 'N Peel boxes and I have four plastic shoe boxes
which are filled with even smaller pieces.

I need some good ideas on how to store this stash. Some of my fabric is
labeled as to the size, but not the new stuff and only about half of
what I already had. Since I usually know how much fabric I'll need for
any given project, I don't want to dig through for a piece of fabric the
is the wrong size and then have to move everything aside to get it back
in its proper place.

Can you tell I need help? Please give me your advice on how to store
this fabric: color? size? HELP?

Old October 23rd 05, 12:39 AM

I feel for you. So many friends and friends of friends know I quilt, so
give me TONS of fabric. There's no hope. All you can do is stack it up,
and keep sewing. My house looks like a quilt store, a very messy one!
And don't even mention batting. 8^( Nancycog in MD, hoping a few stash
raiders will 'hit' while we're in TX (DON'T take my black/white/ reds)

Old October 23rd 05, 01:38 AM
~KK in BC~

My advice is.............
Squishy Squishy Squishy BEG LOL

Actually I don't have any advice. I am however jealous of your acquisitions.

~KK in BC~ gonna go wonder off and wish and dream of too much fabric! but
wait.... is there really any such thing as too much fabric?? Maybe that is a
sure fire cure for real life? A bout with too much fabric?? LOL

--
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
I haven't outgrown the need to play with blocks.

koffee_kupz on Yahoo Messenger
-rarely use msn-
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Old October 23rd 05, 02:22 AM
Polly Esther

Mine's in bins by color. I put the little FQs and remains of other quilts
in zips in the bins with the big guys of the same color. I have a gorgeous
big basket that stays out and things that don't fit the color system go in
it. There's a stack of hat boxes that houses special collections such as
bugs and the boxes are boldly labeled so I don't have to lift and stack
everything.
The big color bins are heavy but usually I don't have to lift them. I
do have to stand on my head but you pick your battles. Polly

Old October 23rd 05, 02:25 AM
CNY/VAstitcher

Of course I have advice...pack the larger pieces in the glass front
cabinets and send the rest to me. With the purge that I recently did, I
discovered that I have a serious lack of quilting fabrics

Larisa, trying to help

Old October 23rd 05, 02:31 AM
Betty in Wi

O.K., I give up! How big is a Crack 'N Peel box? I've never heard of it.

Betty in Wild West Wisconsin

Old October 23rd 05, 03:34 AM
Nann Hilyard

Wow!!! What a haul!!

I have no advice about storing it -- but commend you on the great deal.

Nann

Old October 23rd 05, 03:47 AM
Julia Altshuler

Phyllis Nilsson wrote:

I need some good ideas on how to store this stash. Some of my fabric is
labeled as to the size, but not the new stuff and only about half of
what I already had. Since I usually know how much fabric I'll need for
any given project, I don't want to dig through for a piece of fabric the
is the wrong size and then have to move everything aside to get it back
in its proper place.

Can you tell I need help? Please give me your advice on how to store
this fabric: color? size? HELP?

Sit down. Take a deep breath. Ask yourself how do you work. The
answer to how to store your stash is hidden within. If, when you're
thinking about what fabric you want to put in a quilt, you think of
color, then store by color. If you look at the yardages needed, then
store by size. You could put fabrics appropriate for baby quilts
together or put brights together or any other system. You could even
let it go unsorted until a system presents itself to you.

Next, consider how much money you saved on the fabric itself and go buy
a bunch of uniform large wide shallow plastic boxes with lids. They
should be identical so they stack easily. They should be shallow (maybe
8" deep) so you can fold the fabric and have a little of it showing on
the top. That way you can look at the contents of one box and see all
the fabrics within without moving or refolding anything.

Go through the fabric, fold it, and place it in the boxes. Just doing
that will give you some idea of what you've got. I do recommend
separating out that fabric that's not appropriate for quilting. I use
100% cotton (rare exceptions) so I keep everything that's not that away
from my cottons.

--Lia