Website review sought - comments invited

Old January 16th 08, 07:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Shirley Shone

Default Website review sought - comments invited

In message , Craig Cockburn
writes
In message , Shirley Shone
writes

Do you have your own hallmark?
Shirley

Yes. When we did the registration we had to choose a hallmark pattern.
However, we still have to send off to the assay office (or take them
in) to get them actually stamped. I believe you can do this yourself
but haven't investigated that route yet.

Craig

I have my own hall mark registered at Sheffield assay office.
The procedure was to stamp your own makers mark on before taking them
into the assay office. They would then do the scrapings to test the
silver and then stamp the silver, and assay office marks on.

The items are best to be sent before polishing in unfinished state as it
is cheaper to have it done, than in the finished state. You will have to
polish the scraping marks out when you get it back.

The last time I sent something I asked them if they would stamp my
makers mark on because It was a gold piece and I did not want to spoil
it. I had to mark the piece where I wanted the marks to go and they did
it for me. I had to take my punch with the piece for them to do it.

I renewed my mark last year for another 10 years but it will be the last
time because I will be 81 then. I no longer do silver work but kept it
on just in case there may be a remote chance I needed it.
Shirley
--
Shirley Shone

http://www.allcrafts.org.uk
Old January 16th 08, 06:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Valerie

Uh and it's just cool to have a hallmark! lol! I thought that was so neat
when you told me about it so many years ago Shirley.

--
Valerie
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Weathered faces lined in pain
are soothed beneath the artist's
loving hand. - Don McLean

Old January 17th 08, 02:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Vibrant Jewels

It would load faster if you linked each thumbnail to a separate page with
just that design on it.

--
Karleen Page
Member International Jewelry Designers Guild (IJDG)
"Maren at google" wrote in message
On Jan 15, 2:06 am, Shirley Shone
wrote:
In message , Craig Cockburn
writesIn message
.com, Su
writes
Craig Cockburn wrote:

Following the feedback I got here a few weeks ago, I've revised the
site
I'm putting together for my wife's jewelry.

It's here
http://www.siliconglen.com/joscelin/jewelry.html

Beautiful necklaces and easy to negotiate web site. Nice big pictures
for details.

but takes a long time to load. I put thumbnails on mine for a reason.

I think the prices are low though. Not much if any profit with the cost
of the beads and time involved. Do not sell yourself short.

[...]
They do not take the cost and here in UK the postage since one has to
mainly use mail order to get supplies. Nor do they realise that we have
to provide a well lit working area and have to buy tools.
I refused to sell cheap because it is not fair on other bead workers who
do it for a living. When someone asks a price and they say they could do
it cheaper themselves I tell them to go ahead because I am not
undervaluing my work.

I'm with Shirley on this. I don't know what the current exchange rate
is, probably on the order of 1GBP= 2US$, but I can't see how you
can make the jewelry for that and (if you were doing this full time
and sell
all) make a living at it (admittedly cost of - especially staple -
food is quite
bit higher higher where I am than in the UK, assuming you have a
Sainsbury's or Tesco somewhere close).
I don't depend on making a living at it at this time, but it's unfair
those who do.

Aloha,
Maren (in Hawaii)
HiloBeads
http://www.hilobeads.com/

Old January 17th 08, 08:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Craig Cockburn

In message , Vibrant Jewels
writes
It would load faster if you linked each thumbnail to a separate page with
just that design on it.

Yes it would, but it would take more effort on the part of the visitor
and the total wait time would be longer. This way the larger images load
whilst the user is looking at the thumbnails.

--
Craig Cockburn ("coburn"). M.Sc., CITP, CEng
Owner, http://www.siliconglen.com/