Magnetic clasps... what's your opinion

Old January 5th 08, 02:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
King's Crown[_2_]

Default Magnetic clasps... what's your opinion

My SIL loves to make jewelry and I get some now and then for my birthday
etc. One year she made a beautiful bracelet and matching earrings.
Bracelet had the magnetic clasp. I was instantly concerned about it, but
she assured me that they are actually quite strong. The next day I wore my
presents to a Renaissance Faire to show off to my girlfriends. As I walked
into the fair they instantly noticed my earrings. I excitedly held up my
wrist to show off the matching bracelet. It was gone. I hadn't worn it 45
minutes and it was already gone. I hadn't owned it 24 hours and it was
gone. It only took me 10 minutes to walk in from the parking lot. We all
ran out scouring every inch of my path in. It was gone. I was SO mad that
I didn't trust my evil ESP.

I wondered if it was me or if they are unreliable. I'm not such a wiggly
person as to shake off jewelry... or maybe I am?

Lynne

Old January 5th 08, 02:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Sterling

Nope, its not you... I hate them too. I had the exact thing happen to me
too, but fortunately I was able to find my bracelet. What a shame you
weren't able to find yours. I use either a well designed toggle clasp, or
the standard lobster claw for security. When someone pays $80.00 for one
of my necklaces, I don't want it to fall off their neck because the magnet
didn't hold. I would feel horrible, and I'd feel compelled to replace it
too. As a matter of fact, one necklace I sold to a co-worker came apart
(the crimp didn't hold) and I restrung it, added beads to it where she lost
them, and made a pair of earrings for her because I felt bad that she paid
all that money for my jewelry and the second time she wore it, it came
apart. I lost money on that one... but I also learned a very valuable
lesson too.

Sterling

:

Old January 5th 08, 04:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Butercupsammy

An idea if your a fabricator & want to incorp. magnets into your clasps.
form a safty catch --- I'm not sure what it would be called. It can be a
simple where there is a hinge on one side and a peg on the other... like
expensive gold tenis brecelets have

Old January 5th 08, 05:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Suzy Hutton

You can also attach a small loop of chain to each end of the clasp that
is also attached to the bracelet. Then if the magnet falls off, the
chain should hold.
Old January 5th 08, 05:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
King's Crown[_2_]

I haven't had the heart to tell my SIL that it fell off. This Christmas she
gave my mom a necklace with a magnetic clasp. Mine wasn't. I told my mom
to be VERY careful with the magnet clasp. My SIL made Dichroic Pendants for
us. Very beautiful. I'd sure hate for my mom to lose hers.

Thank you for your opinion. It really helps with my decision to never use
them in my jewelry making.

Lynne

Old January 5th 08, 12:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Beadbimbo

Well, I'm finding that the small ones are unreliable, unless maybe on
something very fine and light like a chain.

I've used this big one (see pic) and love it. It has never come off and
seems like it's on there for good once I put it on. I've showed this
bracelet before, but here's the clasp:

http://www.beadbimbo.com/ebay/tubebeads1a.jpg

--
Jerri
www.beadbimbo.com

Old January 6th 08, 07:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Bob Common

My wife made a beautiful bracelet with magnetic latch and the same thing
happened to her...and it was a killer bracelet! Since that, she either puts
a light safety chain between the clasps or just uses them for the lightest
of bracelets, something that won't put any strain on the magnets.
Bob

Old January 6th 08, 10:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Valerie

I don't use magnetic clasps, but I must say Jerri, that is a beautiful
bracelet! I haven't seen it before.

--
Valerie
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Weathered faces lined in pain
are soothed beneath the artist's
loving hand. - Don McLean

Old January 7th 08, 10:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Beadbimbo

Thanks, Val!

--
Jerri
www.beadbimbo.com

Old January 14th 08, 08:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
monique

My experience (necklace given to me, not custom made) is that the
magnets hold together but that the glue that holds the magnets into the
clasp gives way. Magnets can be stronger than glue!

Monique in TX

I wondered if it was me or if they are unreliable. I'm not such a wiggly
person as to shake off jewelry... or maybe I am?

Lynne

Magnetic clasps vs other clasps [email protected] Beads 18 November 28th 06 02:52 AM
Magnetic Clasps Windi Beads 3 September 6th 04 07:02 PM
Magnetic beads Anna W. Beads 5 August 28th 04 07:03 AM
magnetic pin holders et al. Dr. Quilter Quilting 14 May 16th 04 06:37 PM
magnetic wire Herb Doll Houses 5 October 11th 03 08:19 AM