OT Price of gasoline

Old July 8th 08, 05:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate T.

Default OT Price of gasoline

I'm sitting here reading your posts and listening to Old Time Radio
shows. The one I am listening to is Johnny Dollar. It was
transmitted on July 8, 1962.

Johnny has rented a car and needs to fill the gas tank. He spends
$4.10 for a fill up. Can you believe it. What's that today, maybe a
gallon.

Kate T. South Mississippi
Old July 8th 08, 05:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

i can recall filling up my Karman Ghia (sporty VW) for $2.50
back in the early 70's.
gas then in east bay, california was only $.25 a gallon.
tank held only 10 gallons.
i could run for two weeks on that, going to and from work ,
running weekend errands and a couple of nights out in that
time. now i can walk farther than $.25 cents worth of gas
would take me.
our petrol just passed NZ$2.20 a litre for 91 octane or
NZ$8.15 a US gallon. that'll take me about 11 km aka a wee
bit more than 6 miles in my wee van. as a result i know dont
go out at all, unless dh's van runs has some mechanical
issue and his van stops and needs the mechanic in the garage
to fix it or it wont run for whatever reason, then i take my
wee van to him to finish his deliverys and i wait for the
tow truck.
those were the days my friends.
j.

"Kate T." wrote...

Old July 8th 08, 11:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Janner

Here in France yesterday, i filled my car (only do it once a month!) for
75 euros = about £60 = about $120 (US) or so! Still cheaper than what
we paid in the UK. My Tank is 50 litres I think (1.50 euros/litre), no
idea what that is in gallons! Fuel has risen about 15 euros (for a tank
ful) over the last 12 months I suppose, just noticed lately that the
price goes up and down on a daily basis - more up than down!

When I was little my grandparents owned a petrol station (UK) and I have
vague recollections of an oil crisis in the 70s and everyone buying fuel
and burying it in big containers in their gardens! Slightly worrying
that!!!

Janner
France

Old July 8th 08, 02:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

I had a motorcycle. I remember the gas wars of the 70's. I would get
change back from my quarter when I filled up!! It was almost embarassing.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi