I can't picture...

Old November 29th 05, 10:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default I can't picture...

When people are looking for a pattern, those that reply with a pattern-no
picture to it, I sure can't picture what the item would look like. Unless I
can see what it looks like, I don't attempt to make it. I can't even make
up a pattern by myself. I guess I don't knit or crochet enough to do that.
To look at a doily for an example, to look at it and then figure out a
pattern for it, no way, don't even want the headache. Carol In WI

Old November 29th 05, 11:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Carol i understand you , and also have a little advice ,,,, having
taught knitting and crochet in the weirdest manners ,,,, even through
very old phone lines ,,, [ yes we shouted;" Knit 2 stiches ,!" "You
mean first stich as well or Without it? " "purl 3 ,,, purl What ?
"
Anyway i strongly advice you to purchase at least ONE knitting 'How to
?" mag ,,, and READ the instructions and LOOK at the drawing ,,,,, now
make a sweater or vest for a DOLL, you have ,,,,,
after really reading ` mag ,,, you will have a bit clearer idea about
`only` reading patterns .
mirjam

Old November 29th 05, 12:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 10:02:46 GMT, "Carol In WI"
spewed forth :

When people are looking for a pattern, those that reply with a pattern-no
picture to it,

Because the people doing the looking didn't write the pattern and/or
don't own the pages being referenced, most likely.

Several years ago a group started knit-alongs for just that purpose -
to give shape to some of the "mystery" patterns out there in the wild.

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...
Old November 29th 05, 01:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

"Carol In WI" wrote in message
When people are looking for a pattern, those that reply with a pattern-no
picture to it, I sure can't picture what the item would look like. Unless
I can see what it looks like, I don't attempt to make it. I can't even
make up a pattern by myself. I guess I don't knit or crochet enough to do
that. To look at a doily for an example, to look at it and then figure out
a pattern for it, no way, don't even want the headache. Carol In WI

REALLY, Carol?
I learned to knit and crochet without pictures... my mother would NOT let me
see a photo of what I was supposed to be making, and I personally feel this
is the way everyone should learn.
JM2C,
Noreen
(who LIKES using her imagination)

Old November 29th 05, 01:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Addendum to previous post:
"The YARNWRIGHT" wrote in message
"Carol In WI" wrote in message
When people are looking for a pattern, those that reply with a pattern-no
picture to it, I sure can't picture what the item would look like.
Unless I can see what it looks like, I don't attempt to make it. I can't
even make up a pattern by myself. I guess I don't knit or crochet enough
to do that. To look at a doily for an example, to look at it and then
figure out a pattern for it, no way, don't even want the headache. Carol
In WI

REALLY, Carol?
I learned to knit and crochet without pictures... my mother would NOT let
me see a photo of what I was supposed to be making, and I personally feel
this is the way everyone should learn.
JM2C,
Noreen
(who LIKES using her imagination)

I also can usually figure out FROM a picture, the pattern....
JM2C again,
Noreen

Old November 29th 05, 02:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

I prefer to have a picture of the finished item in front of me along with
the pattern also, Carol. That way as I go along, I can see if what I'm
doing is even *beginning* to look like the picture of the finished item.
) I *can* knit or crochet without a picture, but I would much rather
have one!

Gemini

Old November 29th 05, 10:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

"The YARNWRIGHT" wrote in message
REALLY, Carol?
I learned to knit and crochet without pictures... my mother would NOT let

me
see a photo of what I was supposed to be making, and I personally feel

this
is the way everyone should learn.
JM2C,
Noreen
(who LIKES using her imagination)

To each his/her own. I much prefer a picture, and won't even bother with a
pattern if there's no picture supplied. When it comes to crafting
something, I would rather have some idea of what the designer had in mind.
That said, I have managed to crochet a bag for myself without a pattern and
picture. I pictured it in my mind and carried on from there. It's the one
and only thing I made without an existing pattern, and was extremely simple.

Shelagh

Old November 29th 05, 11:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

"Shillelagh" skrev i melding

[...]

I totally agree with you!
If you get a pattern to a sweather, for example,
without a photo,
You don't know anything about how the pattern will work out in shape.
Are there wide arms?
Is the sweather slim?
How is the shape of the neck?
Of course you can figure it out by calculating,
But I would be very convinced that I wanted THAT VERY pattern,
if I should use it without a photo!
THEN I can start to calculate and do my changes!

BUT: I sometimes play with patterns for
stitches or structures without a photo!
I then sit down and make a swatches,
and love to see what they look like!

AUD ;-)

Old November 30th 05, 02:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Hi Carol,

I'm like you, I need the pattern and the picture in order to make
anything, not a creative person to do it without it. I have a friend
who looks at a crochet picture and sits and does it, not me.

Hugs,

Nora

Picture to computer-generated CCS paattern. F.James Cripwell Needlework 1 March 6th 05 06:11 PM
New Quilt Picture posted Marcia Smith Quilting 14 May 25th 04 02:22 AM
going from picture to crochet pattern news.sonic.net Yarn 19 December 3rd 03 10:24 PM
Knitting in pub picture Laurie Yarn 37 November 20th 03 07:23 AM
Any thoughts on finishing a picture mat?? Myka KS Yarn 3 September 27th 03 05:16 PM