Northwest Bead Looms --- Opinions?

Old November 15th 03, 05:01 AM
Tink

Default Northwest Bead Looms --- Opinions?

Does anyone have any experience with or opinions on the Northwest Bead
Looms?
http://www.ridgecrest.ca.us/~klissus/

--
Tink

www.blackswampglassworks.com
New auctions up, including Victorian Holly
http://snurl.com/2pun

Old November 15th 03, 12:48 PM
ellen

Several years ago I owned their basic loom and it was quite nice and very
sturdy, but I have since switched over to the looms at www.beadweaving.com.
I like the fact that the small ones are not flat so you don't have to bend
over them, and they are light and portable. I bought a Fiskars scrapbook bag
for my supplies (I put tubes of beads in the dividers that are made for
scissors) and the loom actually fits inside since the sides of the bag are
soft and expand; I take it with me when I go away for the weekend. The floor
loom is also nice. Although you have to put the looms together I didn't find
that hard to do and the the people who sell them are reallly nice. I found
out about these looms initially from a review at
http://beadwork.miningco.com/mbody.h...=home&PID=2731.

Old November 15th 03, 12:57 PM
ellen

Here are some loom reviews that might interest you:

http://beadwork.miningco.com/cs/patt...m/tp/looms.htm

Old November 15th 03, 01:05 PM
ellen

Another thing I would mention: I believe that Northwest allows you to order
different springs to handle different size beads, which is very nice
feature - the standard spring would be for 11/0 seed beads. The looms I
have from www.beadweaving.com just come with a spring for 11/0 beads, which
is fine since that's what I normally use. I am working on a delica project
for the first time, and figured out that by doubling up some of the warp
threads when I warped the loom (I alternated between stringing one warp
thread through a dent in the spring, and stringing two warp threads through
a dent in the spring ) I could accomodate for the smaller size of the beads;
once you've woven a few rows the beadwork spreads the warp threads out to
the proper width. But if you use delicas a lot that would be a factor to
consider.

Old November 15th 03, 09:57 PM
Marilee J. Layman

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 05:01:14 GMT, "Tink"
wrote:

Does anyone have any experience with or opinions on the Northwest Bead
Looms?
http://www.ridgecrest.ca.us/~klissus/

No experience, but I wouldn't use a flat loom. Even people who can
sit up at the table for long periods find vertical looms better.

--
Marilee J. Layman
Old November 15th 03, 09:59 PM
Marilee J. Layman

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 12:48:14 GMT, "ellen"
wrote:

Several years ago I owned their basic loom and it was quite nice and very
sturdy, but I have since switched over to the looms at www.beadweaving.com.

No take-up, so you're limited by the length of the looms, and there
doesn't appear to be a way to loosen and tighten the warp.

--
Marilee J. Layman
Old November 15th 03, 10:01 PM
Marilee J. Layman

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 13:05:55 GMT, "ellen"
wrote:

Another thing I would mention: I believe that Northwest allows you to order
different springs to handle different size beads, which is very nice
feature - the standard spring would be for 11/0 seed beads. The looms I
have from www.beadweaving.com just come with a spring for 11/0 beads, which
is fine since that's what I normally use. I am working on a delica project
for the first time, and figured out that by doubling up some of the warp
threads when I warped the loom (I alternated between stringing one warp
thread through a dent in the spring, and stringing two warp threads through
a dent in the spring ) I could accomodate for the smaller size of the beads;
once you've woven a few rows the beadwork spreads the warp threads out to
the proper width. But if you use delicas a lot that would be a factor to
consider.

Or you could change to a reed, which is traditional. Springs are
pretty new. A reed is a line of the beads you're using, stretched on
a thick thread or wire and attached where the springs are now
attached. So you'd have a reed that is a wire of Delicas (with some
slack, so there's room for the threads) and just attach that when you
loom with Delicas.

--
Marilee J. Layman