BAP -- ENABLING ALERT

Old March 21st 08, 09:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

Default BAP -- ENABLING ALERT

For those of you who like BIG projects, HAED has their patterns on sale
for Easter at 25% off.

http://www.heavenandearthdesigns.com/

--
Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader www.IntlProofingConsortium.com

Finished 3/16/08 - Isabella's Garden

WIP: Stitcher's Blessing, MLI The Teacher (gift to the library),
Bethany Angel, Flowers of Hawaii (Jeanette Crews) for ME!!!
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel

CFSfacts -- where we give you the facts and dispel the myths
Myths, with research cites: http://www.aacfs.org/images/pdfs/myths.pdf
Newest research blog: http://journals.aol.com/kmc528/Lifeasweknowit/
Old March 22nd 08, 01:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Trish Brown

Karen C in California wrote:
For those of you who like BIG projects, HAED has their patterns on sale
for Easter at 25% off.

http://www.heavenandearthdesigns.com/

Is it my imagination or is 'Helen of Troy' one of Dante Gabriel
Rossetti's works? Unless my memory is failing me, I think she's meant to
be blonde rather than gingery haired.

Has anyone ever noticed that all his paintings seem to be of the same
(rather horsefaced) lady? Makes me think he had a hankering for some
remote and unattainable lady who looked down the full length of her
snout at him and told him to nick off! LOL!

While all the pre-Raphaelite painters are amazing, I always find myself
coming back to the poster artist, Alphonse Maria Mucha. His ladies have
life and fire and *different faces* which look lived-in and written upon
by life. Do a google on Edmund Blair Leighton and John W. Waterhouse as
well. It's easy to get lost, just browsing through the lovely pictures!

My friend has a jigsaw, six feet by five feet, of Mucha's 'Seasons'
framed on her wall. It's just gorgeous! DH gave me smaller one (4000
pieces) of the 'Jewels' series. Also gorgeous. I've seen a number of
people have converted some of Mucha's works into XS patterns (including
Graeme Ross), but I've never ever seen one that has enough detail to do
the painting justice: they're always fuzzy, with the backgrounds
converted into a muddy mess. IMHO.

--
Trish {|:-} Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old March 22nd 08, 03:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dawne Peterson

"Trish Brown" wrote
Has anyone ever noticed that all his paintings seem to be of the same
(rather horsefaced) lady? Makes me think he had a hankering for some
remote and unattainable lady who looked down the full length of her snout
at him and told him to nick off! LOL!

He married the first model he was obsessed with, Lizzie Siddal; she was a
rather severe looking woman with thick reddish hair. When she died, he
buried some of his unpublished poetry with her---and later dug her up so he
could retrieve (and publish) it.
He has very involved with some of his subsequent models, one of whom was
married to William Morris, the noted designer.
So many of his women do tend to look alike.
I don't think many of them told him to buzz off--likely better for them if
they had.
Dawne

Old March 22nd 08, 03:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Mar 22, 5:05*am, "Dawne Peterson" wrote:
"Trish Brown" wrote Has anyone ever noticed that all his paintings seem to be of the same
(rather horsefaced) lady? Makes me think he had a hankering for some
remote and unattainable lady who looked down the full length of her snout
at him and told him to nick off! LOL!

*He married the first model he was obsessed with, Lizzie Siddal; she was a
rather severe looking woman with thick reddish hair. *When she died, he
buried some of his unpublished poetry with her---and later dug her up so he
could retrieve (and publish) it.
He has very involved with some of his subsequent models, one of whom was
married to William Morris, the noted designer.
So many of his women do tend to look alike.
I don't think many of them told him to buzz off--likely better for them if
they had.
Dawne

Thank you Dawne , for this nice historical facts.
When people make statememts about Artists and their models and assume
that the paintings do include certain faces because this or that
possibility. It would be adviseable to remember that other periods had
other sets of social behaviours.
mirjam
Old March 22nd 08, 04:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Jinx the Minx

On Mar 21, 4:08*pm, Karen C in California wrote:
For those of you who like BIG projects, HAED has their patterns on sale
for Easter at 25% off.

http://www.heavenandearthdesigns.com/

--
Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreaderwww.IntlProofingConsortium.com

Finished 3/16/08 - Isabella's Garden

WIP: Stitcher's Blessing, MLI The Teacher (gift to the library),
Bethany Angel, Flowers of Hawaii (Jeanette Crews) for ME!!!
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel

CFSfacts -- where we give you the facts and dispel the myths
Myths, with research cites:http://www.aacfs.org/images/pdfs/myths.pdf
Newest research blog:http://journals.aol.com/kmc528/Lifeasweknowit/

Thanks for the head's up! I'm a sucker for reproductions of classic
paintings, and their prices are very reasonable as compared to other
sites offering reproductions that I've found. I tried to have some
restraint and limited myself to purchasing just one chart. However, I
got a "corrupted file" message when I went to download my purchase and
lost my chart! I emailed them, so here's hoping they either can
provide me the chart some other way or will refund my money. :-(

What a downer,
Jinx
Old March 22nd 08, 05:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Jinx the Minx

On Mar 21, 11:01*pm, Jinx the Minx wrote:
[...]

Jinx- Hide quoted text -

I know it's bad form to reply to my own message, but I wanted to let
everyone know they emailed me my pattern within two hours of
contacting them. That's commendable customer service!!

Jinx
Old March 22nd 08, 06:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dawne Peterson

Thank you Dawne , for this nice historical facts.
When people make statememts about Artists and their models and assume
that the paintings do include certain faces because this or that
possibility. It would be adviseable to remember that other periods had
other sets of social behaviours.

Trish saw something that often leads to very interesting inquiries. Some
artists put the usual suspects in various paintings for different
reasons---sometimes they are convenient, like family members, sometimes they
are patrons, sometimes they are friends, mistresses, or mistresses of
patrons.....really interesting to get into some of the stories.
Dawne

Old March 22nd 08, 06:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Trish Brown

wrote:
[...]

For once in my life, I find myself completely without speech! (But my DH
is currently laughing his head off, having said: 'Is this woman the
thought-Nazi on your group?') I had to post it. It was too gorgeous to
let it go by... ;-

--
Trish {|:-} Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old March 22nd 08, 07:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Trish Brown

Dawne Peterson wrote:
Thank you Dawne , for this nice historical facts.
When people make statememts about Artists and their models and assume
that the paintings do include certain faces because this or that
possibility. It would be adviseable to remember that other periods had
other sets of social behaviours.

Trish saw something that often leads to very interesting inquiries. Some
artists put the usual suspects in various paintings for different
reasons---sometimes they are convenient, like family members, sometimes they
are patrons, sometimes they are friends, mistresses, or mistresses of
patrons.....really interesting to get into some of the stories.
Dawne

Dawne, I googled Lizzie Siddal and she *does* have a horse-face, just
like all his paintings! Amazing! And now I need to know why you were
able to pull up this fascinating fact seemingly out of thin air? Are you
a Victorian art tragic like me?

Another fascinating similarity I notice in these paintings is the
plethora of red-headed women. I wonder whether red hair was more common
back then or simply more desirable and hence the widespread use of henna?

My DD's hair is violently flame-coloured and she cops heaps from the
kids at school, who call her 'Ranga' ('orangutan') because of it. Red
hair is *not* the fashion at DD's school, although the pre-Raphaelites
seemed to think it was pretty cool.

Also, have you noticed the thick, bushy texture of the ladies' hair in
the paintings? I wonder how they achieved that in the absence of perming
solution and Products? Tight plaiting, I s'pose. I've just cut my own
bushy hairdo off at the elbows and am enjoying the honeymoon period of
just shaking it dry and off I go. LOL! Wish I had one of those useful
Victorian maids to maintain The Do for me!

--
Trish {|:-} Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old March 22nd 08, 09:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Mar 22, 8:51*am, "Dawne Peterson" wrote:
Thank you Dawne , for this nice historical facts.
When people make statememts about Artists and their models and assume
that the paintings do include certain faces because this or that
possibility. It would be adviseable to remember that other periods had
other sets of social behaviours.

Trish saw something that often leads to very interesting inquiries. *Some
artists put the usual suspects in various paintings for different
reasons---sometimes they are convenient, like family members, sometimes they
are patrons, sometimes they are friends, mistresses, or mistresses of
patrons.....really interesting to get into some of the stories.
Dawne

It is facinating to read about the lives of many artists, and learn
who and why and in which context they used various faces. This is one
of the reasons, that museums and art reseracherers are kin on having
artists copybooks etc. And of couse Contemporary artists are much more
aware that their `work books` might be used for such purposes.
From the artists who `used` their fanily in their art work , i am very
fond on Carl & Karin Larsson. Rik Wouters. and there are many
more.
mirjam

Enabling alert Cheryl Isaak Needlework 0 July 11th 07 08:27 PM
Enabling alert for sampler types lewmew Needlework 0 January 22nd 07 05:43 PM
Enabling Alert Karen C - California Needlework 1 June 15th 06 05:57 AM
Enabling Alert Karen C - California Needlework 3 May 24th 06 04:06 PM