Buttonhole problem...help!

Old January 8th 06, 06:17 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

Default Buttonhole problem...help!

Hi,

I have a Kenmore sewing maching that has a fairly simple buttonhole
attachment that you snap the button into and it makes the hole to fit
the button exactly. It works ok until it gets to the end of the first
side of the buttonhole, does a wider stitch at the end, then reverses
to do the other side. The thread always breaks at that point. I have
tried different tensions and nothing seems to help. The manual has
instructions for doing the buttonholes without the attachment and I
have the exact same problem doing it that way too. I've oiled the
machine, cleaned the feed dogs and bobbin holder, etc. I've spent about
4 hours and a big chunk of fabric doing test buttonholes over and over
and am at my wits end! Does anyone have any suggestions on what else I
could try? Thank you.

Old January 9th 06, 02:02 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

Better quality thread.

--
Ron Anderson
A1 Sewing Machine
oups.com...

Old January 9th 06, 04:24 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

That is probably the best advice...Other than also slowing down the
speed...

My machine is also a kenmore with that same attachment -- not had
issues... I make sureto use Coats and/or Gutterman thread in my
machine. NYAA -- just what I use...

Tricia

PS, I'm assuming you've re-threaded your machine.

Old January 9th 06, 10:28 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

wrote:
..
The thread always breaks at that point. I have tried different

Have you checked both the attachment and the hole in the needle plate
for rough spots and/or burrs? Sounds a bit like the thread is
catching on something.

HTH,

Beverly

Old January 10th 06, 12:36 AM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

wrote:
I've oiled the machine, cleaned the feed dogs and bobbin holder, etc.

have you tried lubing the buttonhole attachment?

liz young
Old January 10th 06, 03:32 AM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

Sounds crazy---even to me, but I cured that by lengthening the stitch.
The machine seemed to move a lot better and not bind up in the thick
spots ..... just feeds better.

Solution to my Pattern Maker problem. F.James Cripwell Needlework 4 July 21st 05 06:24 PM
Kenmore problem Mira Sewing 4 May 26th 05 03:40 AM
Question: sewing chiffon problem [email protected] Sewing 1 May 19th 05 08:59 AM
Bit of a knitting pattern problem Jaime Yarn 23 November 10th 03 07:59 AM