Need suggestions for design of sewing/stitching room

Old March 29th 05, 01:31 AM

Marianne Teubner" wrote in message
ink.net
snip
---
Natural light. Loads of overhead lighting, preferably natural
dayluight bulbs. I use n.d.fluorescent bulbs. Task lighting. Large
cutting table--plan it twice as big as you think you'll need, or add
extensions. Should be able to cut, press, pin on the cutting table.
Crawling around on a floor will kill your knees, I am living proof of
that.
Sturdy _wood_ machine tables, with room to leave machines out.
You'll find you sew a lot more when you can leave your machines and
tools where they are easily accessable. Shelves for books, fabric,
tools, supplies. Plan twice as many shelves as you think you need.
A garment rack; I just replaced my rack with a huge cubicle cabinet
for fabric stash, but the goal is to whittle that down and re-introduce
a smaller hanging rack. OR...one wall of slat-wall, which is the stuff
which garment stores use. I just found a source for slat-wall, but
can't buy it because I am out of wall space. I think it would be a
great addition to a sewing room, though. You could use it for garments
and for mounting racks for dispensing rolls of fabric. Slat wall has
the advantage of freeing up floor space.
Computer, printer, etc. A ceiling-hung gravity-feed iron system.
Room must be close to kitchen, laundry room, powder room.
Hmm, what am I forgetting? The room must have it's own Visa card, to
allow for free flow of stash.
Cea

Old March 29th 05, 02:28 AM
nana2b

Thank you for the credit card reference! Don't stay home without it! Nana

Old April 2nd 05, 12:16 AM
Kay Roy

My "must have" is lots of electric outlets and on more than 1 circuit. It
seams like every time I turn around there is another thing I want that
operates on electricity.
Jane in NE Ohio

So, I am coming to the "experts" with my questions. I have a few ideas of
must haves, but need some more ideas.

If you were designing your dream room, what is the one thing you cannot
live
without?

I will be using the closet for most of my storage and know that I will
probably use a closet module for it. I want a couple of drawers for
threads,
notions, and small stitching items, and some drawers or bins for storing
fabric. File drawers for charts and patterns, but I don't know what I want
for storing miscellaneous items. I want some bookcases and shelves for
displaying some of my collectibles.

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Marianne T.