Yarn for socks

Old October 14th 07, 12:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Leah

Default Yarn for socks

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 04:36:11 -0700, "
wrote:

Thanks everybody! I learned a lot from all of your input.
I was curious about the alpaca because the Super Joanns out here
has a new line of alpaca yarn that is on sale, and living in the
desert, it is hard to find pure wool. Didn't have time to order
anything on line. But I did get lucky and found some Galway at the
LYS so I bought a couple of balls of that to use.
Making my big son a pair of socks for his size 14 feet! Did NOT
want to use fine fingering weight yarn and size 2 needles for that!
He wants pure wool socks. Sigh....I also bought a spool of the
reinforcement thread that I used on the heel and toes of the first
sock which I almost finished today. That was actually pretty easy to
combine with the yarn and knit with. And it blends in so well, you
wouldn't even know it was there.
Thanks again everyone! Happy knitting!

Marie

You live in the Phoenix area, right? If so, I think we might frequent
some of the same yarn stores, at least I went to them before I got
more stores in my neck of the woods and internet!

Anyway, I don't remember seeing any all wool sock yarns in my local
stores or in the valley stores I've visited. They all have some
percentage of polyamid or nylon in them.

But, the last time I was in Fiber Factory in Mesa, they had a wall of
Brown Sheep Naturespun yarn, which I think their worsted is in between
a DK and worsted for the cheap acrylic you find in stores. It's 100%
wool. It isn't superwash, so it will felt if not carefully washed,
but if you need 100% wool, FF may be your closest source without
getting it online, and it's not fingering weight, either.

HTH

Leah
Old October 14th 07, 09:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

wrote:
[...]

Thanks Leah! I've been out to Fiber Factory before (when we saw

the Yarn Harlot when she came to town last year). Unfortunately, it's
over a 100 mile round trip for me. In really bad traffic. The LYS in
old town Glendale carries Trekking and similar sock yarns which are
wool, but of course fingering weight and mostly varigated. My son
wanted a solid color wool - and I ended up getting the Galway which is
more of a dk weight but it worked out really well. I'm almost
finished with the 2nd sock, am to the toe decrease wahoo.
Marie and the cats

Old October 15th 07, 02:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Leah

On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 13:04:42 -0700, "
wrote:

Thanks Leah! I've been out to Fiber Factory before (when we saw

the Yarn Harlot when she came to town last year). Unfortunately, it's
over a 100 mile round trip for me. In really bad traffic. The LYS in
old town Glendale carries Trekking and similar sock yarns which are
wool, but of course fingering weight and mostly varigated. My son
wanted a solid color wool - and I ended up getting the Galway which is
more of a dk weight but it worked out really well. I'm almost
finished with the 2nd sock, am to the toe decrease wahoo.
Marie and the cats

Marie

It sounds like you're talking about Sally Knits. I went there a few
times a few years back, and they were very helpful when I was looking
for specialty items. If not, it's a newer store I need to find for
the next time I'm on a shopping trip to the valley :-)

I know what you mean by valley traffic, even with the new freeways,
it's still awful. I remember the one woman who had hundreds of
speeding tickets she never bothered to pay because she didn't think
she had to, and how many other people got nailed by the cameras who
didn't think it was fair they couldn't do 90 or faster in a 65 zone.
Sheesh, makes me want to put one of those "Pray for me, I drive in the
Valley" stickers on my car!

More in your neck of the desert is a store I discovered when we were
down visiting a friend and happened to drive by: Cotton Fields Quilt
And Knit. They actually had quite a bit of yarn packed into their
tiny store when I was there, and though all their sock yarns were
fingering, they did have other kinds/weights that might work for
socks. I have a bag of yarns in the stash they tucked their card
into. They are at:
www.cottonfieldsquiltknit.com 12409 W. Indian School Rd. A105
Avondale. Phone 623-535-1200. If you are driving west on Indian
School, they will be to your left, on the south side of the road in a
small strip mall a ways west of Garden Lakes, but not all the way out
to Litchfield Park. I remember they were lovely ladies to talk to.

Leah
Old October 15th 07, 08:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

wrote:
[...]

Thanks Leah. They must be fairly new, as this is the first time
I've heard of them. Will have to check it out sometime. That shop
wouldn't be too far for me, I'm about 10 miles from Luke here. Well,
in a couple of days my dad and I are driving up to Flagstaff to see my
older son - he just got deployed again and is leaving very soon, so we
going to see him. I hear there's a couple of good yarn shops up
there so I will check those out while I'm in the area. Hehe.
There's a really good set of shops in Sun City at 121st Ave and
Bell Road too called Needlers Nest. The yarn shop is upstairs and the
needlepoint/cross stitch shop is downstairs. My sister and I drove
over there Saturday afternoon and boy did we get a surprise. They
had rented almost the entire top level of the building and spread out
5 tons (it looked to me) of yarn and it was all on clearance! Most
of it was specialty yarns including mohairs, Mango Moon, silks,
Starlights, Dive, anything and everything you could imagine! My
eyeballs were popping and I could feel the waves of greed trying to
overcome me. By the time we were finished digging around, the shop
was near closing time and at the end of it all- I saved roughly 75%
off the purchase price. We giggled all the way home. It was so much
fun! And we got some great stuff! Too bad I didn't have any way of
letting you know about it, you would have loved it too.
Marie and the cats

Old October 16th 07, 10:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"YarnWright" wrote in message
Mary Fisher spun a FINE 'yarn':

socks and will start using it on the toes of my socks because thats
where I wear mine out the most!
Marie and the cats

What an excellent idea!

One day I might get round to wearing socks :-)

Mary
and the hens

Mary Fisher. . .

Splort!!
WEARING them?

Wearing socks

Or MAKING them?

There are lots of socks in my drawer, I just wear them very rarely.

I've made lots of socks in my life, from when I was seven and had to turn a
heel in the Brownies. I suppose I used to wear them but for years I've
preferred just wearing sandals. Right now I'm wearing sheepskin boots
because we've just been out on the scooter and it's a trifle chilly for
riding in sandals.

Or BOTH????
LOL
Noreen

The hens reference was an attempt to liken my sig to Marie's :-)

Mary

Old October 16th 07, 01:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Leah

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 12:16:22 -0700, "
wrote:

[...]

Congrats on the S.E.X.! It sounds like you had fun and made out like
a bandit at that sale. I hadn't heard of Needlers Nest, so I'll have
to check it out the next time I'm down there.

If you've heard of Unravel in Flagstaff, they closed down last year.
A new store in Prescott called A Good Yarn bought out a lot of their
stock, and just had a 50% off on remaining items marked with Unravel's
price labels for their 1st anniversary. I heard about the sale after
the fact :-( I don't know any other Flagstaff yarn shop names, but
then we don't get up there that often, and with A Good Yarn, Studio
Three, and The Fiber Shop in Prescott and Knit 1 Bead 2 in Jerome, and
all the nice stores in Phoenix I don't feel a need to go looking for
more yarn stores in Flag LOL. BTW, if you're familiar with The Fiber
Shop, the nice older lady who used to own and run it passed away, and
the shop moved from her house/shop. It's still on McCormick, but up
the hill around the corner in the strip mall just before the traffic
light on Grove.

Leah