Flaxseed oil (was Mercury!)

Old August 21st 03, 06:08 PM
Dr. Sooz

Default Flaxseed oil (was Mercury!)

And from
Sooz's response to it, I think I should give it to Pete for his back.

I take it in addition to all my other meds. It is not a panacea for me -- I
still am struggling many days just to stay out of bed --
~~
Sooz
-------
Let the beauty we love be what we do. --Rumi
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
~ Bead Notes: Beading information A through Z
http://www.lampwork.net/beadnotes.html
Old August 21st 03, 07:23 PM
Christina Peterson

No. I don't expect miracles. What I look for is something that will
contribute to well being, without chemical side effects. Because I am
resistant to some meds but have significant side effects (in general),
several things with small but noticable effects tend to be the best path for
me.

Tina

Old August 21st 03, 08:37 PM
saucy

Sarajane,

Is there any alternative meds for ADHD? I hate taking the uppers for my
condition, and haven't taken them in a while. However, I like being able to
function like a normal person when I take the meds. They make me jumpy
though and I don't sleep well. I didn't know if there is anything out
there, but thought I would ask.

Starlia

"Sjpolyclay" wrote in message
There's plenty of
research and attention behind it.

thank you Deirdre. I don't believe things easily, I like to see repeat

results
in multiple studies and lots of testing years....flaxseed is one of the

things
along with garlic and foxglove that's been used effectively for centuries.
Pliny the elder even endorsed it!!!
Sarajane

Sarajane's Polymer Clay Gallery
http://www.polyclay.com

view my auctions at:
http://www.polyclay.com/Collage/auction.htm

Old August 22nd 03, 03:44 PM
Sjpolyclay

Is there any alternative meds for ADHD

Hi Starlia!
I started to answer last night and AOL kicked me off--if it came through and
I'm repeating myself, pardon please!

I've only read a couple of papers about ADHD. One was of the theory that
hypersensitivity to processed sugars and bleached flour in the diet triggered
many of the symptoms, and also food allergies to red food coloring in
particular---so cut out all the stuff like Kool-aid, Jello, Hi-C, popsickles,
pop-tarts, anything with red food coloring---and its lots of places. No sugared
colored cereals, no hotdogs, etc. This is too hard a change for some people's
tastes, but cutting all the processed crap out of a diet really DOES help
ANYbodies cognitive process. Its easy to believe that some people are even MORE
sensitive to the effects.

The other study I read stressed behavioral stuff, and had to do with
eliminating competing stimulations. When studying, make sure there is no radio,
tv, multiple conversations, whirl of activity going on around you. Have a
steady light--NO FLICKERING. This resulted in changing test grades in kids,
flickering lights are very subliminally distracting. Many overhead tube lights
flicker. Also, reading things OUTLOUD, or hearing them read and seeing the
print at the same time, raised retreval rates significantly.. Multiple inputs
of the same info, as it were.

Old August 22nd 03, 04:07 PM
Sjpolyclay

I like the ground flax seed as a topping for all kinds of stuff.... Don't
know
how it compares to the oil, effectivenesswise, but it tastes good! Stored in
refrigerator.

Its great as an additive in breads, too, I've heard, but that would overheat
the oils to the point of not being so effective. Fabulous roughage though!!

Old August 22nd 03, 05:47 PM
Dr. Sooz

poor Merc! But you are the BEST person to
deal with something like that...you know everything there is to know about
recovery for him. Merc couldn't have a better nurse! ;-)

Aw, you are SO SWEET. It's love that makes me a good nurse for the Boy.....And
I'm so, so sad that you're having such pain, Valerie. I'm so sorry. I can
relate. My problems started with a back blowout in 1987, and I really feel
your pain.
~~
Sooz
-------
Old August 22nd 03, 10:27 PM
Christina Peterson

Yes, please keep in in group so we all can share.

Tina

"Sjpolyclay" wrote in message
But I am interested in knowing more about flaxseed oil...Sarajane if

you're
reading this, can I contact you off-group with some questions?

Sure, email me, I never mind sharing info!
Tho if its not personal, others might be interested too---this subject is
tangental to beading in that things that help you move and think allow you

do more beading!!

Old August 22nd 03, 11:10 PM
Valerie

Yes, please keep in in group so we all can share.

Tina

Ok! The only reason I didn't want to keep it in the group is it might get quite
lengthly and may divulge more personal things than I want Usenet to know. LOL!
I guess I'm just being silly.

Anyways, my questions a

Are there any books/articles that show the effectiveness of flaxseed oil in
relation to studies?

Sarajane mentioned that part of her problems involved a protruding disc...I
believe I may have the same problem (although it won't be proven until I get an
MRI) in addition to a spinal deformity. How effective would flaxseed oil be for
something like that instead of say arthritis(which both Sarajane and Sooz
mentioned)?

Is there a "bible" of known and widely used herbs and plants that work for any
and all ailments? A good homeopathic/home remedy book?

I am extremely interested in books that have to do with herbs and herbalists,
but in my (limited) research I can't find much. And honestly I really don't
know what to look for.

I dont' like to take OTC meds (although I do often) or perscription (pain)
drugs because of side effects. I would appreciate any tips/advice on what would
work that is natural and with few side effects. Pain drugs make me either too
jumpy or too fuzzy in the head to do anything.

I am *very* interested in what flaxseed oil can do. Especially if it works and
doesn't have side effects. I think that because of the meds I'm taking for pain
(which work well) I've been having anxiety attacks that I really don't like,
and sweating like a pig. So much that I'd rather be in pain than deal with the
attacks. (Which are a common side effect with this med)

Valerie

Website: http://www.geocities.com/m2ir8/index.html

Old August 22nd 03, 11:14 PM
Valerie

Sure, email me, I never mind sharing info!
Tho if its not personal, others might be interested too---this subject is
tangental to beading in that things that help you move and think allow you to
do more beading!!

I did post to the group after all about this(see my post to Tina). I think you
are right that it may benefit others. :-)

Sleepytime tea is a good one! I went to the Mint Room at the Delestial
Seasonings factory here in Boulder--its AMAZING!!!! The oils are so strong
that
mint has to have its own room or it contaminates every other herb. Standing
in
there breathing is a real buzz you feel all the way under your scalp!!!

Ooooo! I'm so jealous! I love almost all of their teas and can't find many
around here. I would LOVE to visit the factory.
Wow, I didn't know that Mint was that strong! That would be heaven to be in! I
can only imagine how refreshed you'd feel after coming out of there.

However, I have read people with heart beat irregularities should avoid
chamomile in frequent doses, as it can disturb heart rythms.
Sarajane

Huh! I'm glad that you shared that info. Thankfully my heart is in sound
condition, but I'll think twice about giving someone else chamomile if I don't
know their health history.

Old August 22nd 03, 11:19 PM
Valerie

Aw, you are SO SWEET. It's love that makes me a good nurse for the
Boy.....And
I'm so, so sad that you're having such pain, Valerie. I'm so sorry. I can
relate. My problems started with a back blowout in 1987, and I really feel
your pain.

Awww thanks Sooz! You should see both my mom and I walking together. LOL! We're
the gimpy gals with my back and leg pains and her healing broken ankle.

Well, it's not only love...you have the experience to know what needs to be
done. Not everyone is vigilant about keeping the bandage/splint clean and dry
and cleaning wounds that occur from surgery. But I'm glad Mercury is in such
capable hands. You will be nursing him after the surgery right? I PRAY that
your ex doesn't do it! His "oops" is even worse after a surgery. Who knows if
Merc would get infections or what.