need suggestions about organizing quilt photos for web site

Old December 22nd 07, 02:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Laity Price

Default need suggestions about organizing quilt photos for web site

Three years ago my husband purchased my domain name for me as a
Christmas gift just as I had requested. He continues to pay for it but
I haven't posted any pictures yet. Now a friend with experience in web
development has offered to help me. She feels she must repay a favor.
Who am I to say no.

Someone on this group had a great chart with each picture on her site
listing pattern source, dates, current owner, etc. Now I can't find
the site. I wanted to show my friend that site as we personalize my
site. Does anyone know the site I am describing?

Does anyone have suggestions on what information should be listed with
a quilt picture?

How should the pictures be grouped?
1. Really old stuff I don't remember making but am glad I have the
photo
2. Stuff I remember, but don't have all the information
3. Original designs I am proud of
4. Quick gift ideas
5. Group projects
6. Current projects
7. Under construction
8. Dreams
9. Class samples

This should look semi-professional since I do currently teach locally
and might want to expand my teaching once my husband retires in two
years. The balance between professional and my stuff has been what has
been holding me back the last three years. Can I post them both on the
same site?

Thanks for any advice.

Susan

Old December 22nd 07, 04:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 08:43:16 -0600, Susan Laity Price
wrote:

Three years ago my husband purchased my domain name for me as a
Christmas gift just as I had requested. He continues to pay for it but
I haven't posted any pictures yet. Now a friend with experience in web
development has offered to help me. She feels she must repay a favor.
Who am I to say no.

Someone on this group had a great chart with each picture on her site
listing pattern source, dates, current owner, etc. Now I can't find
the site. I wanted to show my friend that site as we personalize my
site. Does anyone know the site I am describing?

Does anyone have suggestions on what information should be listed with
a quilt picture?

Pattern name and designer if possible. Date made if possible. Why
you made or like it. If it was easier than it looked. Was it an
experiment and if it was what you learned. Any other pertinent
comments.

How should the pictures be grouped?
1. Really old stuff I don't remember making but am glad I have the
photo
2. Stuff I remember, but don't have all the information
3. Original designs I am proud of
4. Quick gift ideas
5. Group projects
6. Current projects
7. Under construction
8. Dreams
9. Class samples

This should look semi-professional since I do currently teach locally
and might want to expand my teaching once my husband retires in two
years. The balance between professional and my stuff has been what has
been holding me back the last three years. Can I post them both on the
same site?

Yes. I've seen many web sites with both professional and personal
pages linked together. The best ones build all the pages of personal
stuff so they all link to one main personal page, all the professional
stuff is built so it all links to one main professional page, then
each main page gets one link from the other main page.

The personal pages often look very different from the professional
pages, so you may want two sets of backgrounds, buttons, etc. for your
pages. The difference gives the viewer a visual clue that the pages
have very different content.

Thanks for any advice.

Susan

I'm all for reverse chronological order, but I also realize that isn't
enough for someone who is a prolific quilter.

- First works (blocks and quilts), warts and all. This shows newbies
that everyone starts somewhere and the world won't collapse if all
doesn't go as planned.
- Original designs--unless you intend to sell the pattern in the near
future. Do not picture any design that you wish to market later.
- WIPs: includes current and under construction projects
- charity quilts
- Group projects
- Quick gift ideas
- Class samples--Note: If these are personal add to personal pages, if
professional add to professional pages.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old December 22nd 07, 05:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

I have a feeling the site you are describing is Julia in MN's??
Julia, is it you?
I can picture the one you mean though, because I love it!! all so
efficient, but beautiful as well.
..
In message , Susan Laity
Price writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old December 22nd 07, 05:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

I'm flattered that you think it is mine, but it's not. Mine is not
nearly so well organized. Mine is chronological, for the most part,
especially the last 3 or 4 years, with a page for each year's projects.
I do try to give pattern source and some history of the quilt, also
what, if anything, I learned from it. Each small picture is a link to a
larger view of the picture.

Julia in MN

Patti wrote:

I have a feeling the site you are describing is Julia in MN's??
Julia, is it you?
I can picture the one you mean though, because I love it!! all so
efficient, but beautiful as well.
.
In message , Susan Laity
Price writes

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old December 22nd 07, 05:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

The list of all the RCTQer's websites is at
http://www.geocities.com/rctq_quilters/photos.htm. Maybe you can find
it there.

Julia in MN

Old December 22nd 07, 06:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lobo

I like things grouped by categories, e.g.:
English Paper Piecing
Traditional blocks
Contemporary
Art Quilts
Red quilts
Baby quilts
etc.

Lobo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Delete the obvious to reply to me personally.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
snip

Old December 22nd 07, 06:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise in Iowa

Susan, I think it might have been Kim Graham's:

http://members.shaw.ca/kigraham/gallery.html

--
Louise in Iowa
nielandl@ msn dot com

Old December 22nd 07, 06:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Ah, well if you are describing yours, then that is the one I remember.
I so admire it. I can't think of another one?

What about Kim? Could it be hers?

Susan, have you looked at all the sites on Kay Ahr's page of RCTQ sites?

So sorry - I'm just adding this before it goes off into the ether - I
should have read the whole thread before leaping in!!!
..
In message , Julia in MN
writes

Old December 22nd 07, 06:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Laity Price

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try to include information on the
newer quilts but those I made 20 years ago have long been forgotten.
Wish I had pictures of all of the quilts I have made over the years.

Susan

Old December 22nd 07, 06:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Laity Price

Thanks for the link. I didn't remember that the group had such a list.
It is probably blocked from my mind because I felt guilty about not
finishing my site.

Susan