Ricky Tims video

Old September 15th 05, 03:06 AM
the black rose

Default Ricky Tims video

Tonight's Bernina club at the LQS featured 20 minutes of a video with
Ricky Tims (the "convergence quilts" author).

We were left feeling totally out-classed. The segments we watched
included one of him doing improvisational free motion quilting. I was
in awe. The man is fearless. The man is also incredible. He puts the
pedal to the metal and just goes, using an Artista 200 with NO stitch
regulator and his stitches are absolutely perfectly even.

My eyes were as big as saucers. I've been working on my free motion
quilting for 2 years and I'm still uneven and a little jig-jaggy. Don't
get me wrong, I'm not horrible, but this man is in a whole 'nother
class. All by himself, methinks.

One of the shop ladies has met him and says he's just the nicest guy and
a talented pianist to boot.

*sigh* Life just isn't fair.

I ordered a copy of the video. It'll probably give me a galloping case
of quilting-envy and an inferiority complex the size of Japan, but I
figure my life can't get a whole lot worse at this point so why not?

The last quilting video I bought was so incredibly snore-worthy that
this was a refreshing change. It was enjoyable to watch (he's something
of a comedian as well). Anybody have the video that can clue me in to
what I'm letting myself in for?

--

the black rose
Research Associate in the Field of Child Development and Human

-------- __o
----- -\. -------- __o
--- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\.
-------------------- ( )/ ( )
Old September 15th 05, 03:29 AM
Sherry Starr

A friend of mine took a class from him a few years ago at a Martha Pullen
seminar in North Carolina. She said she enjoyed the class with him. He
was the featured entertainment one night at a dinner. She said he can
really play the piano (she taught music for 30 years). She said he was very
funny and one of the nicest instructors she has had.

Sherry Starr

Old September 15th 05, 03:42 AM
Donna in Idaho

If you ever get the chance, take his class. It's well worth the time and
money!

We were lucky enough to have our class in a big room with a piano. When he
had us all sewing, he would sit down at the piano and play. Probably the
first and last time I'll ever take a class with first class entertainment
while I'm sewing.

Donna

--
Donna in Idaho
Website: www.LinusIdaho.org

Old September 15th 05, 03:43 AM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
the black rose wrote:

Anybody have the video that can clue me in to
what I'm letting myself in for?

Rose, I have the video, and it's worth every penny! If I never learn to
quilt as perfectly as he does, there's one little trick he shows about
how to get the bobbin thread to the top of the quilt after finishing an
area that's worth the price all by itself. No more reaching underneath
and clipping the thread! He's been at camp a couple of times, though
I've never had a class from him. However, he does play a mean piano and
has a subtle sense of humor that's absolutely delightful. I think you
won't regret getting the video!
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old September 15th 05, 03:45 AM
Ellison

Howdy!
Ricky Tims--- he's from...
Texas, you know. G
http://www.rickytims.com/interview.htm
Ragmop/Sandy -- glad to see you posting again, TBR,
you Celtic quilter, you!

Old September 15th 05, 04:02 AM
KJ

I recently bought both his videos, "Caveman Quilting" and "Grand Finale".
They are both awesome!
By the time you're done watching them, you feel like he's your new best
friend. And you also feel like you can run over to your machine and do just
what he does...he makes it look so easy and second nature. Well, guess
what.....it was still MY clumsy free motions quilting I was doing. DARN!
I will never let an opportunity to take a class with him pass me by. He is
fabulous!

Old September 15th 05, 04:31 AM
Bronnie

Hi
Our guild brought him out to Australia in early August. I didn't do
the workshop but I attended his day seminar including playing the
piano. Everyone's right - he is such a nice fellow, with a great sense
of humor AND can play the keys exceptionally well!

Cheers
-- Bronnie

Old September 15th 05, 04:40 AM
Terbear

I have to agree with ya, he really is very talented. I met him at camp last
year & even heard him play. I was in "stitches" with his stories too.
We have his caveman DVD (got it for joshua), but we haven't watched it
yet....guess we need to get to it.
Teri

--
Terbear~Curator of the HUG Gallery~
http://gallery.ppwp.com/gallery/HUGS

Teri's quilts~
http://gallery.ppwp.com/gallery/Tquilts

Old September 15th 05, 04:59 AM
KJ

You can see my "caveman" project in my webshots album. I have to admit it
wasn't "quite" as easy as he makes it out to be. Like any project, you can
see the way to do it much better after you do it wrong first!
The "Grand Finale" DVD has so much information in it, you have to turn it
off and walk away for a while. Information overload.

Old September 15th 05, 01:22 PM
Estelle Gallagher

Hi there Black Rose. I was very fortunate to do a workshop with the very
talented Ricky Tims at the Quilt Expo last year in The Hague,Holland. I have
never enjoyed a workshop so much or been so inspired to go for it! You will
enjoy the video I'm sure! Estelle