OFF TOPIC - pierced ears

Old November 25th 07, 06:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Walker Family[_2_]

Default OFF TOPIC - pierced ears

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 04:45:48 GMT, (Mirjam
Bruck-Cohen) wrote:

Moni i absolutely agree that it is nice when young women adorn
themselves just to have fun, my wonderment was when somebody called
that act "a transistional rite" ,,,,,
I see that with your daughters you will be able to watch all kinds of
ceremonies in your family ,,
mirjam

I never thought of it as a rite of passage. Those seem more formal
things such as graduations, getting a license to drive, religious
ceremony recognizing first communions, confirmation or bar/bat
mitzvah, etc.

You are right about my family!! We've been to events such as a kosher
wine tasting at the temple with our Jewish daughter and husband and
then other events at the Church of Christ with our younger daughter
and husband. They are hoping to get some of the youth from each
congregation to visit back and forth to show them the similarities and
differences in their faiths.

I've learned a lot from all of this - I've crocheted a baptismal dress
for my granddaughter and embroidered a Jewish house blessing for my
Jewish kids. I embroidered holiday banners for all of my family and
they each had the family name and removable decorations for each
holiday. I did them with traditional holidays and then researched the
Jewish holidays so I could make up the correct emblems to represent
each holiday. Learning keeps you young - Moni
Old November 25th 07, 09:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

No it is a Cultural and sociological perception , about the nature of
"rites' ceremonies etc....
mirjam

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:
Moni i absolutely agree that it is nice when young women adorn
themselves just to have fun, my wonderment was when somebody called
that act "a transistional rite" ,,,,,

Maybe it's an issue of semantics.

--
Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it. Autograph your
work with excellence.

Old November 25th 07, 09:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

You would be surprised how many Orthodox ladies do pierce their ears,
and i agree with you there might be a contradiction in the Torah ,,,
But people have their own ideas ,,
But i never counted ,,,,
mirjam

Lucille wrote:

What's an acceptable age for ear piercing in Israel? I know lots of women,
and a few guys from Israel that do have pierced ears and you can buy the
most stunning earrings there.

I wonder how many people in Israel pierce their ears -- I do not believe
that Orthodox Jews would do so as there is a contraindication in the Torah.

Old November 25th 07, 12:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Sunflowerlady

True Bruce! I confess I never thought of that

Sarah
"Bruce" wrote in message
Sunflowerlady wrote:
At least people will
stop asking if she's a boy! (what's up with that, a baby in all pink with
flowers - is NOT A BOY!)

Sarah

Spare a thought for those of us who are colour blind g
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney

Old November 25th 07, 12:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

"Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply" wrote in
message ...
Lucille wrote:

What's an acceptable age for ear piercing in Israel? I know lots of
women, and a few guys from Israel that do have pierced ears and you can
buy the most stunning earrings there.

I wonder how many people in Israel pierce their ears -- I do not believe
that Orthodox Jews would do so as there is a contraindication in the
Torah.

--
Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it. Autograph your
work with excellence.

My grandmother was an ultra Orthodox Jew and she had pierced ears and
pierced my mother's ears when she was an infant.

Lucille

Old November 25th 07, 12:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Bruce

"Bruce" wrote in message
Sunflowerlady wrote:
At least people will
stop asking if she's a boy! (what's up with that, a baby in all pink with
flowers - is NOT A BOY!)

Sarah

Spare a thought for those of us who are colour blind g
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney

About 7 percent of males suffer from colour blindness but it only
affects around 0.4 percent of females.
Source: http://www.hhmi.org/senses/b130.html
In the days when I used to wear a collar & tie Maureen insisted on
helping me choose shirts & ties. This was after one or two disastrous
purchases made without her advice, they looked OK to me but apparently
almost everybody else had to wear dark glasses when I entered the room...
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney UK
Old November 25th 07, 01:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Tia Mary

lucretia borgia wrote:
........snipped....... I wrote: Our Dr. said not
to do it to infants because it's hard to judge exactly where the earring
will end up once the kid has grown.

Then Sheena wrote:
That is incorrect, I have never seen Spanish adults with strange
earring piercings and they are done at birth. I was maybe a couple of
months old (I don't remember the event) and mine are exactly where
they should be, nice and even etc.
........snipped.........

That doesn't mean the statement was "incorrect". My Dr. told me it
was difficult to judge exactly where you should pierce a baby's ears.
If a person is not experienced at piercing a baby's ears, then it will
be difficult to do this properly. That doesn't means it's impossible
and the earrings are always placed incorrectly -- just that it's
difficult. I should imagine it would be difficult for someone
experienced in piercing adult ears since baby ears are much smaller and
they do grow along with the rest of the body. CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary
Old November 25th 07, 02:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Pat P

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
at what age would you/ did you let your daughter get her ears pierce.

DD is just nine and has been campaigning for a year for them.

I got mine done when I was 18 and could it with out a parents signature.
My
Dad thought only "bad girls" had pierced ears (this was 30 years ago).

As far as I`m concerned that stipulation still makes sense!

Even when Richard was in the Royal Marines he still had to have our written
permission to have a tattoo (for instance) until he was eighteen. (At least
it was a sensible one - his blood group details!) - mind you all his troop
had a Tasmanian Devil tattooed onto their ankles at the same time - a fact
that they just omitted to mention!

Pat