OFF TOPIC - pierced ears

Old December 2nd 07, 05:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dr. Brat

Default OFF TOPIC - pierced ears

Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply wrote:

Dr. Brat wrote:

Right, but Christianity has no prohibition against representations and
idolatry.

Sure, it does.

Such as?

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old December 2nd 07, 05:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dr. Brat

Dr. Brat wrote:

Right, but Christianity has no prohibition against representations
and idolatry.

Sure, it does.

Deuteronomy 5:8
Thou shalt not make thee any graven image

Most Christian denominations ignore it, or interpret it to only cover
false idols, but the Amish (for one example) take it quite seriously.
They do geometric art like hex signs, or fanciful things like
distelfinks that don't actually exist, but will not portray anything
real. No photographs of their people, no crucifixes in their homes.

Ok, so let me modify my original statement "Mainstream Christianity has
no prohibition (in practice) against representation as idolatry." Better?

The point being that naming an animal or drawing a picture of Jesus
doesn't carry anything like the same weight in our culture as naming an
animal or drawing a picture of the Prophet does in Islamic culture.

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old December 2nd 07, 05:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dr. Brat

F.James Cripwell wrote:

"Pat P" ) writes:

Which brings me to the subject of the English Teacher being held in the
Sudan for allowing her class to call a teddy-bear Mohammed! Admittedly, no
one took offence but the fanatics, but honestly, I.M.O. she deserves almost
all she gets for being so darned STUPID and insensitive in such a situation!
I`m an atheist, but even I would do a double-take if children here called a
teddy-bear "Jesus". Don`t get me wrong - I don`t agree with Sharia law, but
I do believe in the idea of "When in Rome, do as the Romans" - or at least
be careful not to risk offending anyone. For someone who is alleged to have
a keen interest in other cultures - well - words fail me!
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle2951262.ece

Neither would I like anyone that thoughtless and just plain silly to teach
my children!

Pat

I have thought about this for some time. I agree "When in Rome, etc", but
this is a twso-edged sword. It equally applies to Muslims living in
Canada. I ask myself what might have happened if this had occurred in Canada.
Are there any Canadian Muslims who would be willing to take the law into
their own hands, and kill the person responsible? IMHO, and unfortunately, I
believed the answer is "YES!"; and that scares the hell out of me.

It doesn't bother me as much as, because I believe it is much less
likely than, Christians who take the "law" into their own hands to
persecute gays.

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old December 2nd 07, 06:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Bruce

lucretia borgia wrote:
I am afraid it would not matter what they did here in Canada, he would
not like them being here, that's despite the fact that some mullah's
have spoken out against violence etc.

We're soft you know - we allow them to wear veils and worship in their
mosques, that's a bad thing. They must be like us or get back on the
boat, but then others would say if people are going to board boats and
be returned, he would be going as would I. That's something to think
about, how far back would the boat boarding go? lol

Over here would boat boarding includ the Normans, the Vikings, the
Anglo-Saxons and of course those Beaker people who came over in the 3rd
millennium BC g
Bruce
Old December 2nd 07, 06:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

"Dr. Brat" wrote in message
F.James Cripwell wrote:

"Pat P" ) writes:

[...]

The most important thing one woman can do for another is to illuminate and
expand her sense of actual possibilities. --Adrienne Rich
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

One of the many reasons I'm not the least bit "religious." I continue to
carry on tradition, most of which means getting together for dinner, but
refuse to be affiliated with any church or synagogue until the people who
claim they are devoted to their religious beliefs stop disregarding the
Judeo-Christian ethic, and show me they are more tolerant.

Lucille

Old December 2nd 07, 06:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susan Hartman

Karen C in California wrote:

This is California a/k/a Northern Mexico. We have lots of people (and
probably stuffed animals) named Jesus.

This reminds me of a time we were eating in a restaurant with friends,
and on the menu was "spaghetti with Jesus sauce."

"What's Jesus sauce?" my friend asked me.

We couldn't figure out what it was, and when the waiter appeared, we
asked him.

"That's 'Jesus' (hey-seuss)," he answered. "That's the name of the cook."

We had a good laugh over that one.

Sue

--
Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen
The Magazine of Folk and World Music
Old December 2nd 07, 07:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Maureen Miller

Default OFF TOPIC - pierced ears muslim ruled Canada

lucretia borgia wrote:
On 2 Dec 2007 15:25:09 GMT, (F.James
Cripwell) opined:

I have thought about this for some time. I agree "When in Rome, etc", but
this is a twso-edged sword. It equally applies to Muslims living in
Canada. I ask myself what might have happened if this had occurred in Canada.
Are there any Canadian Muslims who would be willing to take the law into
their own hands, and kill the person responsible? IMHO, and unfortunately, I
believed the answer is "YES!"; and that scares the hell out of me.

As usual - I really wonder why you don't return to Beloved England
Jim, surely it's so much better than Muslim ruled Canada ?

I too live in Canada and have to agree with a lot of what you're saying.
The same goes for what we allow. Our R.C.M.P. can wear turbans, as
can constuction workers. There's a girl playing some sport now and
she's been allowed to keep her muslim headdress on even though it's
dangerous to her own safety. There's nothing religious about our sports,
nor our police force or construction sites. Yet we have to change our
own dress code to accomodate the newcomers. But then, as you say Jim,
we ARE Muslim ruled Canada.

Maureen
Old December 2nd 07, 08:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dr. Brat

Maureen Miller wrote:

lucretia borgia wrote:

[...]

Jim didn't say that, lucretia did. Hard to imagine how the rest of you
let 2.5% of the population rule if that's not what you want. Hard to
fathom why you even notice what they do, frankly.

I'm not sure I understand how a scarf is dangerous to a girl's safetey
when playing sports, especially if she keeps the ends tucked into her shirt.

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old December 2nd 07, 08:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
F.James Cripwell

Maureen Miller ) writes:
lucretia borgia wrote:
[...]

People will put words in my mouth. We are NOT Muslim ruled Canada. We
have just about every country in the world, and they all contribute to a
better, and more diversified Canada. I have no objections to Muslims
wearing whatever they like and worshiping anyhow they want. What scares
me are Muslim terrorists playing havoc in Canada. If the Muslim community
can convince the Commissioner of the RCMP that there is NO terrorist
threat to Canada, I will cease to be scared. While there is the threat of
a Muslim terrorist attack in Canada, I will continue to be vigilant. And
ANY community that comes to live her in Canada, MUST respect and obey
Canadian law, even when their culture finds this difficult. I will always
believe that Canadian values will, in the end, win over the values of
those who choose to live here. The problem is how much damage may be done
before this happens.