What, me work? *gasp*

Old December 4th 03, 03:20 AM
SlinkyToy

Default What, me work? *gasp*

I've become exceedingly accustomed to being a SAHM to a kid in
kindergarten. I chaperone two field trips a month, I volunteer in the
school library a couple of hours a week reshelving books the hooligans
pull out (librarian's rule is a book taken out of the shelves is left
on the desk, not reshelved by a kid), and do other stuff as required.

I also spend an inordinate amount of time knitting, and even spin
sometimes.

What I do *not* do is housework. Oh, I do laundry and KP and give the
bathrooms the proverbial "lick and a promise"; when I start sticking
to the floors I haul out the hose and VERY occasionally I dust.

So yesterday a friend rings me and asks if I'm interested in an easy
receptionist job in the north office of the company she works for. So
I send my resume. I'm grossly overqualified, but they like me because
I (supposedly) WANT to work, versus needing to work and offering the
possibility of kiting off for the next better-paying job that comes
along.

So this morning I go in for a chat with the owners. My friend reports
later that they like me and assume I must have children given my age
*cough* and do I mind telling her what my daycare/school situation is,
as the owners want to know if I'll be "reliable".

Golly, an actual job would cut into my knitting time. Or more
probably it would cut into my housework, such as THAT is.

Michelle
Who still has one shawl on the loom and one waiting, and two toques to
knit, but whose SIL saw reason (read: did the math on half a dozen
pairs of socks at my "family discounted rate" and decided she doesn't
need but the two pair I've already finished) about the socks

Michelle
Who still has to mail her October squares and knit her November ones.
Don't put me on the list for December Cher, it ain't gonna happen.
Old December 4th 03, 11:19 AM
G.Kelly

Well Slicky Toy they do say that if you want something done ask a busy
person so I guess your prospective employers think along those lines !!
God Bless Gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

Old December 4th 03, 01:17 PM
SlinkyToy

Yeah, that's basically what my husband said. I have *no* idea what
I'll say if this place actually offers me the job.

Old December 4th 03, 01:29 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 13:17:44 GMT, SlinkyToy wrote:

Yeah, that's basically what my husband said. I have *no* idea what
I'll say if this place actually offers me the job.

Slink,
Is it parttime or fulltime?
Noreen
who LLH about working cutting into crafting time!

--
STRIP * tease * to email me.
Old December 4th 03, 03:04 PM
SlinkyToy

'Twould be full-time, 0800-1700. Not a big deal, I did it for four
years while the boy was in diapers and in preschool. But I've
discovered I like being a SAHM. Don't call me a homemaker - I don't
do housework except the bare minimum (concrete floors have their
advantages).

The other thing I have to consider here is that a guy I worked with
briefly last year has asked me if I'll come on board with his start-up
as a consultant. I need to pester him and find out exactly when that
might happen, as I certainly don't want to start a job and then have
him call me out for a security trip.

*sigh*

Old December 4th 03, 04:18 PM
Michele

I wish you luck, but this attitude really makes me see red. This is
discrimination. Do they ask MEN if they have daycare? Do they ask MEN if
they are planning on having children? Grrrr. During one interview, to get
the person back on a professional level, when asked if I had children, I
leaned forward and asked "Is that a prerequisite for the job?". (sorry for
the run-on sentence Katherine)

Peace,
Michele in Ky (who gets irate with all kinds of discrimination)

"SlinkyToy" wrote in message

So this morning I go in for a chat with the owners. My friend reports
later that they like me and assume I must have children given my age
*cough* and do I mind telling her what my daycare/school situation is,
as the owners want to know if I'll be "reliable".

..

Old December 4th 03, 04:26 PM
SlinkyToy

That's actually one reason I probably won't take the job if I'm
offered it. Whether I have kids or not doesn't enter into my ability
or willingness to DO the work.

Plus I can do consulting for 6x the pay and only work a couple of days
a week, including travel to/from client sites. Not much of an impact
on my knitting time *dimple*

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 11:18:50 -0500, "Michele"
wrote:

I wish you luck, but this attitude really makes me see red. This is
discrimination. Do they ask MEN if they have daycare? Do they ask MEN if
they are planning on having children? Grrrr. During one interview, to get
the person back on a professional level, when asked if I had children, I
leaned forward and asked "Is that a prerequisite for the job?". (sorry for
the run-on sentence Katherine)

Peace,
Michele in Ky (who gets irate with all kinds of discrimination)

.. .

.

Old December 4th 03, 05:36 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 15:04:01 GMT, SlinkyToy wrote:

'Twould be full-time, 0800-1700. Not a big deal, I did it for four
years while the boy was in diapers and in preschool. But I've
discovered I like being a SAHM. Don't call me a homemaker - I don't
do housework except the bare minimum (concrete floors have their
advantages).

I prefer DOMESTIC GODDESS, myself, grin!

The other thing I have to consider here is that a guy I worked with
briefly last year has asked me if I'll come on board with his start-up
as a consultant. I need to pester him and find out exactly when that
might happen, as I certainly don't want to start a job and then have
him call me out for a security trip.

*sigh*

Part-time would be less intrusive on crafting time, and Momming time!
You do have much to consider....
let us know!
Hugs,
Noreen

--
STRIP * tease * to email me.

Old December 4th 03, 10:32 PM
spampot

SlinkyToy wrote:
[...]

Uhhh...and did you tell them that it was illegal for them to ask you
that question?!? I don't think I'd want to work for them! And for them
to be clumsy enough to "assume you must have children given your age" --
give me strength. What kind of a leap is THAT??