present

Old October 9th 03, 06:56 PM
Lisa Ellis

Default present

When I got home last night, I found a present from my friend - a
partially finished home made blouse and a box of hexagons!! She said
she had planned on using the blouse for quilting material (it is a
cotton floral with a black background - hard to date, but I would guess
from the 60's or 70's) and knew I would use it. The hexagon are old,
from her husband's family. I would date them as turn of the century.
They are mostly silks, with a few velvets thrown in. They are ready to
sew together, ie, the edges are basted down, pressed, and the papers
have been removed. I found a few of the papers and some old thread in
the box. Some of the hexagons were sewn together, but in rows, not in a
grandmother,s flower garden pattern.

This friend has given me several boxes of old quilting stuff, including
some wonderful old nine patches and a lot of Victorian era buttons. I
want to make something for her. I was thinking of using some of the
hexagons to make a pillow top, but I am wondering if they could be
cleaned. They are in good shape now, but I have no idea how they would
react to gentle hand washing. Any pointers?

lisae