where is everyone?

Old August 27th 13, 09:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Janner

Default where is everyone?

I came back from hols and loads of posts.....now nothing

Janner
France
Old August 27th 13, 09:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

This is the way it has been, with few posts, and maybe 1 or 2 a day. School
is starting back here in the US so maybe that has been keeping everyone
busy. Today I went to a fabric store to look at patterns but did not buy
anything. Then I drove another 30 minutes to visit with a girlfriend (no
she does not sew) and we talked some about clothes and family. We try to
get together every few months, just to talk about our children &
grandchildren. Was 91 degrees today.
Barbara in SC

Old August 27th 13, 09:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Janner

"Janner" wrote in message
I came back from hols and loads of posts.....now nothing

Janner
France

Mine are back to school next week. Beginning to feel autumnal, time to
dust of the sewing machine......haven't done more than taking up
trousers etc over the hols. Time to play

Janner
France
Old August 28th 13, 07:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lizzy Taylor

On 27/08/2013 21:09, Janner wrote:
I came back from hols and loads of posts.....now nothing

Janner
France

I spent 2 days of the 3 day weekend hand quilting while "minding" DS1 at
Manchester Game Jam. Something about insurance, but there were about a
dozen guys of various ages all busily plugging away at making their
games work with hardly a peep out of any of them. It was blissful!

Tonight I am back onto crumb blocks and am determined not to go back to
any other WIPs until my crumb/scrap box is virtually empty. 60 blocks
made and a chain of 12 more in progress at the moment, so I am aiming
for 72 by bed time.

Lizzy
Old August 28th 13, 09:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

Are crumb blocks made with a solid back and place the small pieces on top
and sew over them to anchor them down? I think I've seen a picture of a few
of them.
Thanks, Barbara in SC

Old August 28th 13, 10:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 07:57:12 +0100, Lizzy Taylor wrote:

I spent 2 days of the 3 day weekend hand quilting while "minding" DS1 at
Manchester Game Jam. Something about insurance, but there were about a
dozen guys of various ages all busily plugging away at making their
games work with hardly a peep out of any of them. It was blissful!

Tonight I am back onto crumb blocks and am determined not to go back to
any other WIPs until my crumb/scrap box is virtually empty. 60 blocks
made and a chain of 12 more in progress at the moment, so I am aiming
for 72 by bed time.

I had to go look up crumb blocks.
It is cool to discover that that's a thing.
Now when I get snarky comments from those who had ought to know better
about piecing together my bitty bits and using them, I can just look all
aloof and inform them that those are crumb blocks! G

Why yes I am perhaps overly frugal, but heck if I can make chaotic
rainbows out of the weeny bits and use them, why the heck not?

NightMist

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?
Old August 28th 13, 02:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lizzy Taylor

On 28/08/2013 10:20, NightMist wrote:
[...]

I love making crumb quilts. When I was demonstrating at the 2012
Manchester Mini Maker Faire my crumb quilt got more comments than the
"designed" quilts. I think it is the sheer riot of colour in them that
catches the eye. They are definitely happy quilts. And I paid for
those little pieces too.

Lizzy

--
http://lizzyastro.etsy.com
http://www.instructables.com/member/lizzyastro/
Old August 28th 13, 11:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Price

Today I started cutting 60 blocks I promised to make for a friend.
She is up against a deadline but must drive her daughter to college. I
will have the blocks finished by the time she is back.

I like the name "crumb quilt" much better than what I have always
called them "scrap quilts". This would be a fun event for a guild
sew-in. Everyone bring their crumbs, mix them together and sew blocks
which would be used in a charity quilt. One secret when working on a
community quilt like this is to have one person trim all the squares
even so they are all the same size.

Thanks for the "crumb quilt" reminder.

Susan

Old August 29th 13, 04:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy in SoCal

I must admit I've been lurking. I am in the process of making a new quilt for myself so have been wrapped up in that.
I love the crumb quilts, made a few in my day...5 I think. They were fun, but the crumbs just multiply...

Labor Day weekend coming up here in the USA. Cant wait for that 3 day weekend. So much to do, places to go, people to see.
Have a good one, everybody!!

Happy Quilting!