OT This is getting just silly

Old August 14th 13, 04:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Default OT This is getting just silly

I hope you can work out the doctor stuff soon. There are so many
horror stories folks have around medical care. On the other hand
your quilt adventure sounds amazing. Can't wait for it all to
come together and the cutting begins.
Be well NM.
Taria

"NightMist" wrote in message ...

So what happens when you live someplace where it is really really hard to
get in to see a doctor unless you have an issue that piques their
interest? You don't see a doctor for regular medical stuff, you wind up
seeing a series of PAs and RNs that wildly misdiagnose stuff, and then
when you finally start seeing a doctor regularly because one of those
misdiagnoses blew up into something serious they start finding all sorts
of stuff that should have been being monitored.

Remember a few years ago when I was going a bit bonkers because I had a
pain at the bottom of my left shoulder blade that felt like somebody was
electrifying just a few specific muscles and making them tremble and
spasm? Yeah, the former clinic said it was "unspecified neuropathic
pain", and told me to just suck it up because there was nothing to be
done about it. I was slightly terrified that later on somebody would
tell me it was fibro or something. Well it came and went and came and
went, generally lasting a few days or a week and then going away again.
Well this last time it came, lasted a month and overlapped a doctor visit.
She sent me for spinal x-rays to make sure I didn't have some sort of
compression fracture that had been overlooked. Well the bones themselves
are fine, but I have scoliosis. It's an S curve that is better than 15
degrees off from straight. How the heck do you live 50 years and nobody
notices something like that?
The doctor thinks my weird pain is damage to a nerve from long term
wonkiness. She is sending me to an orthopedist to make sure that
everything is at least stable and to see if anything can or should be
done with this.
She also scolded me for not going to the ER when the muscle relaxant she
gave me made me swell up, including my throat so as to make it hard to
swallow. I just looked it up, saw that that sort of swelling and
swallowing problem was on the list of side effects, and quit taking it.
Apparently that was an Urgent Medical Care situation that required
Immediate Attention. I am one of those people that tends to get all the
drug side effects, and being as most of my previous experience has been
with medicals that say things like, "well yeah, swelling up to the point
where your clothes don't fit is something to keep an eye on, but the
medication works doesn't it?", I tend to sort of just do what seems
sensible instead of making a fuss. Apparently this is no longer
acceptable protocol.

So now I have another two pages of bloodwork, a new doctor to see, and a
bone density scan on the list of Things To Do. Just for giggles she put
me on a calcium plus vitamin D supplement. Apparently bone wonkiness
when you have been doing surgical menopause is something they sit up and
take note of.
She is still keeping an eye on my blood and musing sending me off to a
hematologist. My white count and platlets tend to be elevated. I have
pointed out to her that I am prone to swimmer's ear and have chronic
sinusitis from that big scar that runs through the roof of my mouth into
my sinus cavity, and thus frequently have a low level infection of one
sort or another. My last bloodwork showed marked improvement, making me
think that that is probably what is causing the fuss. Though I will
grant that it has caused some misdiagnoses in the past I don't imagine
there is much anyone can do if that is what it is all about.

On the quilting side I have been drawing, measuring, planning,
contemplating various sheer fabrics, and musing over whether what I have
in mind would be better executed in cotton or silk. I am thinking of
combining various applique techniques and perhaps throwing in a bit of
needle painting in an effort to achieve a "painterly" effect on the
project. I am planning to experiment with color combinations in shadow
applique, hence the contemplation of sheers. Varying degrees of sheer
seem to be more readily available in silk than cotton. I have bowed to
my inner control freak and plan on dying all the fabrics and threads
myself, though that is really not anything new here. Though dying thread
is a pain in the backside (thus I usually just use neutrals for sewing
and quilting) if i am going to use needle painting on this I will need
the right colors for the job. The plan is to do a figurative subject and
not do it cartoonist style. Just the sort of fussiness I need if I am
going to do a smaller than my usual massive bed quilt project. At
present the thing is keeping it small. I keep wanting to expand the size
for one reason or another, but I am determined to keep it under 5 feet
across. I do want to finish it in less than a decade! When I start
convincing myself to add just a couple of inches so I can do whatever mad
thing I am thinking of, I go and knit or spin something. I also knit in
waiting rooms, so they are not all completely from averting madness, but
a big percentage of a couple of elephants, a monkey, two puppies, a lamb,
a rabbit, and a slew of bears for the toys for tots box are. I have also
dyed up and spun enough wool for a full length coat. This is being a
very productive project even before I so much as snip a single selvage!

NightMist

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?
Old August 14th 13, 08:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

Sorry about all your reoccurring pain and hope you can get rid of it soon.
Especially soon enough that you won't have any pain while cutting out your
beautiful quilt.
Barbara in wet SC

OT silly QI's Taria Quilting 20 December 12th 07 07:44 PM
Okay, tell me if you think this is silly... Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply Yarn 31 June 5th 07 07:13 AM
OT but silly! Kate Dicey Quilting 0 July 21st 04 03:57 PM
OT Silly, Silly Gender Test Karen_AZ Beads 23 April 26th 04 10:47 PM
Silly S.E.X Katherine Burgess Yarn 2 July 28th 03 07:21 AM