Paper piecing help

Old October 15th 06, 03:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Alice

Default Paper piecing help

I'm trying a paper piecing project for the first time. I won a "Tin Box
Sampler Series" of gorgeous crackle charm fabrics as a door prize. There are
very minimal directions with it to make nine Courthouse Steps blocks. I
figured out the cutting, and construction, but now I have a couple
questions. On the paper foundation pieces there are TRIM lines and SEAM
lines. It seems that I would trim the blocks with the paper still attached
so I can follow the lines. Do I also stitch the blocks together with the
paper still on? Do I trim and then remove the paper? Also, since this
project ends up being 12" X 12" what size binding do I use....narrower than
for a standard sized quilt? Thanks for any help.

Alice in PA

Old October 15th 06, 07:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Glad your first time is working out for you Alice. It's a wonderfully
useful technique.
I have tried joining with paper on, and off. Here is what I have found:

the paper stabilises everything beautifully, so if you have triangles,
with -therefore- bias edges, I would leave the paper on.
It is very difficult to match seams etc with the paper on, because the
feed dogs can't grip on the paper.
So, what I have now decided to do, when I want to leave the paper on,
is: to draw my patterns *without* the outside seam allowance included.
You can still trim accurately, because you line up your ruler's quarter
inch mark with the edge of the paper. But, you have a fabric seam
allowance which can be pinned (keeping the pinned piece tiny, within the
seam allowance - I 'click' the paper edge with my pin point underneath
and then bring it up through the fabric. One set of feed dogs is under
fabric, so that helps.

On the other hand, if my edges are not bias, I will usually press
carefully, trim and then remove the papers.

A quarter inch binding will be fine for 12" x 12".
..
In message , Alice
writes
I'm trying a paper piecing project for the first time. I won a "Tin Box
Sampler Series" of gorgeous crackle charm fabrics as a door prize. There are
very minimal directions with it to make nine Courthouse Steps blocks. I
figured out the cutting, and construction, but now I have a couple
questions. On the paper foundation pieces there are TRIM lines and SEAM
lines. It seems that I would trim the blocks with the paper still attached
so I can follow the lines. Do I also stitch the blocks together with the
paper still on? Do I trim and then remove the paper? Also, since this
project ends up being 12" X 12" what size binding do I use....narrower than
for a standard sized quilt? Thanks for any help.

Alice in PA

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old October 15th 06, 11:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jessamy

Alice I have that tin too :-) it became a UFO after DS2 decided to oil my
sewing machine with the blocks still *under* the foot with half a bottle of
sewing machine oil (yes the oil came out after 6 weeks of experimentation -
copious amounts of dish detergent did the trick!)

first you cut apart the blocks between all the lines leaving the trim lines
untouched.

then you paper piece the blocks, then trim on the trim lines and sew the
blocks together on the seam lines. then remove the paper - that way you have
all the blocks exactly right :-)
the size of the binding is one of taste - I personally like to see 1/4" of
binding on the front and would cut my binding at 2 1/4 inch and fold it
double - I also use my smaller projects to practice my binding on ;-)

--
Jessamy
Queen of Chocolate Squishies (and Occasional Liquorice Ones)

Old October 15th 06, 02:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

With a piece that small, you could simply attach narrow piping at the seam
line on the front. Place the backing on the front RST (put a piece of
batting on too if you need it.) Stitch the layers together with the front
side up so you can see the stitching line from the piping. Leave a little
opening to turn RSO. Thus you get the effect of binding with not much bulk.
Roberta in D

Old October 15th 06, 04:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Alice

Thanks everyone for your very helpful suggestions... I've decided to trim
all the blocks (with the paper on), and add a narrow black sashing. I'm
hoping that will make the beautiful colors stand out. The binding will be
black too. Since I'm in PA Amish country, I'll have to wait until tomorrow
when the quilt stores open to buy the black fabric. Thanks again,

Alice in PA

Old October 15th 06, 04:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Foster

In article , "Alice"
wrote:

I'm trying a paper piecing project for the first time.

Good for you!

I won a "Tin Box
Sampler Series" of gorgeous crackle charm fabrics as a door prize. There are
very minimal directions with it to make nine Courthouse Steps blocks. I
figured out the cutting, and construction, but now I have a couple
questions. On the paper foundation pieces there are TRIM lines and SEAM
lines. It seems that I would trim the blocks with the paper still attached
so I can follow the lines.

Correct.

Do I also stitch the blocks together with the
paper still on?

Yes.

Do I trim and then remove the paper?

Don't remove the paper until the entire little quilt is put together and
you're ready to quilt it. That way, you don't lose the stabilizing that
the paper provides.

Also, since this
project ends up being 12" X 12" what size binding do I use....narrower than
for a standard sized quilt? Thanks for any help.

I would. Try using strips cut 1.75" wide, which would give you a
finished 1/4" binding. Of course, it's entirely up to you -- my
preference is almost always for a narrow binding, but you may prefer
something else.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education

Old October 17th 06, 02:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carolyn McCarty

Good questions! I look forward to reading the answers.

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green

"Alice" wrote in message
I'm trying a paper piecing project for the first time. I won a "Tin Box
Sampler Series" of gorgeous crackle charm fabrics as a door prize. There
are very minimal directions with it to make nine Courthouse Steps blocks.
I figured out the cutting, and construction, but now I have a couple
questions. On the paper foundation pieces there are TRIM lines and SEAM
lines. It seems that I would trim the blocks with the paper still
attached so I can follow the lines. Do I also stitch the blocks together
with the paper still on? Do I trim and then remove the paper? Also,
since this project ends up being 12" X 12" what size binding do I
use....narrower than for a standard sized quilt? Thanks for any help.

Alice in PA

Some experiments I have been trying..... Ray Jones Polymer Clay 5 March 26th 04 10:26 PM
Paper Piecing Cheryl Quilting 12 January 4th 04 08:01 PM
Paper Piecing Cheryl Quilting 2 January 3rd 04 09:09 AM
paper piecing site??? Helen in MN Quilting 4 December 14th 03 01:03 PM
paper piecing questions Elizabeth Young Quilting 30 September 3rd 03 04:17 AM