Help with window treatments!

Old September 29th 11, 07:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
-dlm.

Default Help with window treatments!

Hello!

I am having difficulty with a home-decorating project that I started.
I purchased 100% cotton drapes from IKEA. Because they are too casual
for my needs, I thought that it would be fairly simple to turn these
inexpensive tab-top curtains into custom window treatments by adding a
lining and rod-pocket for the panels, and making arched lined and
interlined valences with piping to match. I pre-washed and dried the
curtains as per the manufacturer's suggestions, pressed the panels to
remove wrinkles using a pressing cloth, then cut the tab-top and side
seams off so as to have a large piece of fabric. Then I cut the
lining fabric so that it was both shorter and not as wide as the now
cut IKEA panel. Before any cuts were made, I checked and double
checked using quilting rulers to ensure that the cuts would be
"square." After hemming both the lining as well as the panel with a
blind stitch I then attempted to put the first panel together. My
problem? The IKEA fabric stretches. Every time I pin and attempt to
sew the lining to the panel, "wonkiness" ensues. Short of using spray
starch/sizing is there anyway to stabilise the panel to minimise the
stretch? I need to create window treatments for 5 windows before the
holidays.

TIA,

-dlm.
Old September 29th 11, 09:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
BEI Design[_3_]

-dlm. wrote:
snip My problem? The IKEA fabric
stretches. Every time I pin and attempt to sew the
lining to the panel, "wonkiness" ensues. Short of using
spray starch/sizing is there anyway to stabilise the
panel to minimise the stretch? I need to create window
treatments for 5 windows before the holidays.

It looks like you are in Clinton, Mass. U.S.A. Do you have
a JoAnn's Fabric store nearby?

Given the situation, (I assume you do not want to go out and
purchase more stable fabric), I might try cutting 1" wide
strips of *very* lightweight fusible interfacing,
http://www.joann.com/joann/search/se...le+interfacing

or fusible tear-away embroidery stabilizer, something like:
http://www.florianisoftware.com/products/*/*/9724

Fuse it and see if that creates a stable enough seam
allowance to let me do the seams. You could leave the
interfacing in place or tear away the stabilizer.

However, I would worry that eventually the IKEA fabric is
going to stretch/distort while hanging, and if it's sewn to
stable lining the edges will stay put but the centers will
sag. Or, you could fuse interfacing to the entire surface
of the IKEA stuff.

It might be a better solution to purchase other fabric.

--
Beverly
http://ickes.us/default.aspx

Old September 29th 11, 11:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
-dlm.

On Sep 29, 4:29*pm, "BEI Design"
wrote:

It might be a better solution to purchase other fabric.

--
Beverlyhttp://ickes.us/default.aspx

Beverly,

Thanks so much for the links along with all of your suggestions! Now
I have to decide if it would be wiser to just purchase new fabric.

-dlm.

Old September 30th 11, 01:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
BEI Design[_3_]

-dlm. wrote:
On Sep 29, 4:29 pm, "BEI Design" wrote:

It might be a better solution to purchase other fabric.

Beverly,

Thanks so much for the links along with all of your
suggestions! Now I have to decide if it would be wiser
to just purchase new fabric.

You're welcome, good luck. If your time is worth something,
and most of ours is, work with good fabric. It is so
dissapointing to put in all the time and effort, only to
have the project fail because of inferior fabric.

--
Beverly
http://ickes.us/default.aspx