solder oxidation

Old April 20th 09, 03:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
No Body

Default solder oxidation

I have two pieces, both made by me 30 years ago; one is a copper-foil
window and the solder is as shiny as the day it was made. The other is a
lamp with zinc came soldered together and it is grey and dull, both zinc
aznd solder alike. Any ideas why the difference?

Old April 21st 09, 06:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Chemo the Clown

On Apr 20, 7:53*am, "No Body" wrote:
* * I have two pieces, both made by me 30 years ago; one is a copper-foil
window and the solder is as shiny as the day it was made. The other is a
lamp with zinc came soldered together and it is grey and dull, both zinc
aznd solder alike. Any ideas why the difference?

The lead in the solder can react to the zinc. It's called galvanic
reaction. It's caused by moisture, perhaps humidity, bridging from the
solder (which has the lead in it) to the zinc. Zinc over time will
also get dull just by it's self. You should be able shine it up with
some #0000 steel wool.

Single Fire Cone 6 Oxidation DKat Pottery 30 November 20th 06 05:58 AM
solder [email protected] Jewelry 1 August 30th 05 03:33 PM
Looking for Cone 8-10 oxidation potters Ken Chin-Purcell Bungalow Pottery Pottery 4 March 4th 05 01:17 AM
glaze crazes in reduction but not in oxidation ? BriMill9 Pottery 3 October 23rd 03 07:13 AM
zinc oxidation Michele Blank Glass 6 July 20th 03 05:39 PM