spinning wheels

Old December 4th 06, 04:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit
Jacquie Joyce

Default spinning wheels

Hi All
I was wondering if someone can help me. I am a knitwear designer/producer
and I have been asked to produce some designs with alpaca yarn. The lady who
has asked me has her own alpacas and would dearly like to have the yarn hand
spun. I have never ever done spinning in my life but would love to have a
go. I have not got a clue where to begin or anything. Can anyone help me
please.
Kind Regards
Jacquie

Old December 4th 06, 10:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit
steel breeze

"Jacquie Joyce" wrote in message
k...
Hi All
I was wondering if someone can help me. I am a knitwear designer/producer
and I have been asked to produce some designs with alpaca yarn. The lady
who
has asked me has her own alpacas and would dearly like to have the yarn
hand
spun. I have never ever done spinning in my life but would love to have a
go. I have not got a clue where to begin or anything. Can anyone help me
please.

Hi Jacquie,

A good place to start is the Association of Weavers, Spinners and Dyers
(http://www.wsd.org.uk/). There are lots of guilds in the UK, and you could
find they meet locally. The Coventry lot are lovely, and love to show
beginners how to spin.

They might even know of someone who's selling a wheel.

HTH

Jane

Old December 5th 06, 09:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit
Jacquie Joyce

Hi Jane
Thank you for that information .I will give them a go .
Kind Regards
Jacquie

Old December 7th 06, 08:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit
Sally Holmes

Jacquie Joyce wrote:
Hi All
I was wondering if someone can help me. I am a knitwear designer/producer
and I have been asked to produce some designs with alpaca yarn. The lady who
has asked me has her own alpacas and would dearly like to have the yarn hand
spun. I have never ever done spinning in my life but would love to have a
go. I have not got a clue where to begin or anything. Can anyone help me
please.

Jacquie, as well as the Guild of Weavers, Spinners and Dyers, if you
haven't bought by next June go to Woolfest,
http://www.woolfest.co.uk/. There will be lots of suppliers there and
you can try out all the wheels and spindles.

We bought my daughter's wheel from P&M Woolcraft in Milton Keynes,
phone 01908 510277. They used to have a website,
www.pmwoolcraft.co.uk, but it doesn't seem to be working now. They
were very helpful and let her try lots of wheels, and she ended up
with the Majacraft Little Gem. It's a very neat design that appeals to
the engineer in me. Most importantly, the orifice is high enough for
her - she's very tall and lower wheels gave her backache.

Wingham Wool Works, near Barnsley, are our local spinning supplier but
they don't stock Majacraft and they're so unfriendly as to be obnoxious.

HTH

Sally Holmes
Wakefield, West Yorkshire, England
"Memes are a hoax! Pass it on!"

Old December 7th 06, 09:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit
Jacquie Joyce

Hi Sally
Thank you for that advise.
I will look nito that ASAP.
Kind Regards
Jacquie
"Sally Holmes" wrote in message
news

Old December 7th 06, 11:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit
Spike Driver

Sally,

Thanks for a great sight,

Dennis

Old December 8th 06, 04:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit
Jacquie Joyce

Hi
The site www.pmwoolcraft.co.uk, is working now Sally.
I can't wait to start spinning. Thank you so much for your help .
Jacquie

"Spike Driver" wrote in message
Sally,

Thanks for a great sight,

Dennis

Old January 20th 07, 04:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit
heichler

Jacquie Joyce wrote:
Hi All
I was wondering if someone can help me. I am a knitwear designer/producer
and I have been asked to produce some designs with alpaca yarn. The lady who
has asked me has her own alpacas and would dearly like to have the yarn hand
spun. I have never ever done spinning in my life but would love to have a
go. I have not got a clue where to begin or anything. Can anyone help me
please.
Kind Regards
Jacquie

Hello Jacquie,
I live in Wisconsin and have been spinning since 1970. In 1984 began a
knitwear business and just love it. Since I only use natural fibers in
all my knitwear it has been very helpful to know how to spin all the
fibers. When I began wondered the same thing you are. Finally went to
the library and got a book on how to do it. Soon after that found a
Spinning Guild which I joined and learned so much from the members.
Have been teaching spinning, dyeing and knitting for many years. Do you
live anywhere near Wisconsin? Do you have a wheel? My present wheel
is a Louet and I think it is the best. Knit allot with Alpaca. We
have Alpaca raisers in our area and I had been asked to spin it and
knit it also. I charge $4.00 an ounce to spin any natural fiber. It
is quite time consuming. To find fellow spinners in your area, you
might want to attend a county or state fair and go to the sheep
building. Have spun with groups and alone at our county fairs and
state fair also. If I can be of any help, please contact me.
Kind Regards,
Katherine Heichler

Spinning wheels for sale Dawn B Yarn 0 October 5th 06 08:24 PM
History of Spinning Wheels LLWeisse Yarn 2 April 2nd 04 10:10 PM
machine spinning wheels saffron Yarn 3 February 12th 04 08:07 AM
Antique Spinning Wheels, cheap! Gasman471 Marketplace 0 December 31st 03 01:52 AM
100+ Antique Spinning Wheels Gasman471 Yarn 0 December 31st 03 01:49 AM