Railroading when loop starting

Old June 10th 05, 11:20 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Default Railroading when loop starting

I'm directing this at Mavia who was conversing with me about having one
thread untwist when railroading upon loop starting (two different ends
of the thread used at the same time in a stitch).

I did some more experimenting, both with floss and pearl cotton. You
can see pearl cotton's results much more readily. Here's what I discovered:

If you don't keep the threads side-by-side as you pull the needle
through and begin the next stitch, one thread can have a tendency to
move its position (if it was on the right, it moves to the left) and
THAT untwists the thread. It's not the act of railroading per se. It's
maintaining the threads parallel throughout the process of stitching.

This phenomena will happen whether or not you loop start. Perfect
stitching requires some fussiness on the part of the needleworker. Ask
me. I just ripped out some closed blanket because I wasn't paying
attention and the threads were coming untwisted, changing the look as
the embroidery progressed. I know better. I just wasn't paying
attention. I'd prefer to blame it on light conditions. :-) I'm really
fighting the issue of having to use a secondary light source. Very
bummed about it.

Dianne
--
"The Journal of Needlework" - The E-zine for All Needleworkers
http://journal.heritageshoppe.com

Old June 11th 05, 07:44 PM
Kim McAnnally

When I went to the PO today to mail a package, the lady there asked about my
shop. Said she used to cross stitch and told me about some of her projects.
She wondered if she could still do it. I mentioned a magnifier but didn't
think to mention extra light. Do you have to use more than one lamp, Dianne?
--
Kim's Stitching Shop is Closing
All Prices are now BELOW Wholesale!

Old June 11th 05, 08:10 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Kim McAnnally wrote:
Do you have to use more than one lamp, Dianne?

I went downstairs to find the brand name of the swing-arm lamp that
clamps to a table (a dear unknown angel sent it to me). It's called
simply "Daylight" and the bulb is a true-light fluorescent. That gives
me enough light, especially when there is also some bright light
streaming in through a window. I can also use it at night, but detest
having to sit at the dining room table to stitch.

I can still stitch if there's indirect sunlight. Problem is, we've had
so many cloudy days - or if there's sun, I've been distracted with other
duties.

So the simple answer is: yes, one lamp is enough if it's a bright
enough lamp. I don't use the magnifier that came with the lamp. I
tried and just can't get used to it. And I don't need it at all if
there's enough light.
Dianne
--
"The Journal of Needlework" - The E-zine for All Needleworkers
http://journal.heritageshoppe.com

Relockable Loop Knot Announcement O J Knots 0 January 12th 05 10:26 AM
Renee's Loop Announcement O J Knots 0 May 23rd 04 04:18 AM
O J's Loop Announcement O J Knots 0 May 23rd 04 04:09 AM
Double Dragon Loop? roo Knots 5 April 9th 04 09:47 PM
To loop or not to loop?? Jenn Ridley Needlework 1 August 16th 03 01:55 AM