OT ping JOHN

Old February 9th 08, 05:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

Default OT ping JOHN

We need some adult supervision. DH and I have a handsome old oak cabinet
that has a tooth missing. Well, not really a tooth but one of the brass
trim things is missing. It is almost like a drawer pull. We considered
hardware at the DIYs but they stick out and the ones on the cabinet are
flat. (Sorry to be so technical there.)
We've even considered using old brass buttons.
Can you recommend a source for replacing antique/vintage metal trim?
To those of you who are not John . . . stay tuned. You will learn
something you may need to know someday. Polly

Old February 9th 08, 12:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Rita in MA

Good Morning Polly,

I'm not John but I would recommend that you look at Renovator's Supply
and/or places like it. Start with http:www.rensup.com They have two or
three different "divisions". You might find what you need at one of them.

Rita L.

Old February 9th 08, 01:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Feb 9, 12:03*am, "Polly Esther" wrote:
We need some adult supervision. *DH and I have a handsome old oak cabinet
that has a tooth missing. *Well, not really a tooth but one of the brass
trim things is missing. *It is almost like a drawer pull. *We considered
hardware at the DIYs but they stick out and the ones on the cabinet are
flat. *(Sorry to be so technical there.)
* * We've even considered using old brass buttons.
* * Can you recommend a source for replacing antique/vintage metal trim?
* * To those of you who are not John . . . stay tuned. *You will learn
something you may need to know someday. *Polly

Here are a couple of places you could look. See if you could find
something that would work and even if you can't match the piece that
was missing exactly, you could replace all of the pulls with something
that would look appropriate. Renovators supply is a good source also,
as stated above. From your description, you should e able to choose
something that will work that you won't be able to tell the
difference.

http://www.coolknobsandpulls.com/index.cfm

http://www.knobsandhardware.com

http://hardware.myknobs.com

John
Old February 9th 08, 01:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Rita in MA

Drat! That link won't work. Try http://www.rensup.com
Now I'm going to browse around the sites that John recommended.

Rita L.

Old February 9th 08, 02:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

Terrific. Thank you both so much. The cabinet is such a beauty - it has,
golly, I don't know what it's called but the doors are like a roll-top desk.
Except, of course, the roll is not top to bottom but left to right. (Did
you make it through that?) DH uses it as a home for his Bose sound system.
We will enjoy searching all the great places you have found. Polly

Old February 9th 08, 04:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maria O[_2_]

You can also try http://www.vandykes.com/ and http://www.leevalley.com/
; both offer nice vintage-style HW.
Maria in NE PA

Old February 9th 08, 09:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Feb 9, 9:30*am, "Polly Esther" wrote:
Terrific. *Thank you both so much. *The cabinet is such a beauty - it has,
golly, I don't know what it's called but the doors are like a roll-top desk.
Except, of course, the roll is not top to bottom but left to right. *(Did
you make it through that?) *

That is called a Tambour door. When it is on a roll top desk, it is
called a Tambour roll top desk.

John
Old February 10th 08, 02:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

Thank you, John. I am learning the language of wood and it is fascinating.
You would love the table we have. It is just whatever an ordinary round oak
table measures - but it has an interesting system beneath the top that will
open it out long enough to insert a door instead of a couple of leaves; sort
of like interlocking fingers. I haven't been tempted to feed a gang that
big but the table could seat a lot of folks. Polly

Old February 10th 08, 04:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

I have my grandmother's square oak table. It's 42" square without any
leaves, but has 5 12" leaves, so max size is 102" long. It's really nice
for basting big quilts. Grandpa & Grandma had 12 kids, so they needed a
big table They were married in Nov. 1907, so I figure the table is
about 100 years old.

Julia in MN
-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/
-----------

Old February 10th 08, 05:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Sat, 9 Feb 2008 13:27:57 -0800 (PST), John
wrote:

That is called a Tambour door. When it is on a roll top desk, it is
called a Tambour roll top desk.

John

Can someone buy a replacement tambour door?
Debra in VA
See my quilts at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/designsbydeb/

Ping John Kate T. Quilting 1 October 5th 07 07:40 PM
Ping John - From sheep to clothing Liz Megerle Quilting 3 August 9th 07 04:16 PM
Ping - John Kate T. Quilting 1 July 18th 07 09:02 PM
Ping: John Donna Aten Quilting 6 April 1st 07 09:23 PM
OT Att John OZ Estelle Gallagher Quilting 2 November 3rd 04 08:20 PM