I have a new machine

Old November 21st 03, 06:56 PM
Joy Hardie

What on earth are you talking about? I am trying as hard as I can to
think of small things to possibly tie pocket bags to......and I am
totally lost. What page?
Joy

Joy, i enjoyed looking thru your site. I especially liked seeing those unidentified
things on the one page. My grandmother has a couple of things that look very similar
that belonged to her mother. Her mother used them to tie her small pocket bag to her
waistband.

Old November 21st 03, 06:59 PM
Joy Hardie

Never mind. I just realized I am not going crazy after all....you are
talking about Joy Beesons website and nothing I have to try to
identify on mine. Whew! Now I got to get over and see what you are
looking at. (sorry I was reading out of order)
Joy

Old November 22nd 03, 03:31 AM
joy beeson

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 18:38:48 GMT, "Jalynne"
wrote:

Joy, i enjoyed looking thru your site. I especially liked seeing those unidentified
things on the one page. My grandmother has a couple of things that look very similar
that belonged to her mother. Her mother used them to tie her small pocket bag to her
waistband.

Thank you.

I've had two people identify them as garters, and one said
that she still had some of the flattened-hourglass buttons
that made the stocking stick. Rather odd picture in my mind
until I realized that I was flattening the hourglass along
the wrong axis!

But changing the web site requires a major overhaul, because
I'm perilously close to the megabytage that I've paid for,
so I haven't said so yet.

Why grandma had two when you need four, I don't know.
Perhaps there were two decorated and two plain, and only the
decorated ones were kept when uglier, but easier to use,
garters came along? Or, perhaps, she used them as bag
tethers, as your grandma did.

I have some of Grandma's buttons, but I don't recall seeing
any flattened-hourglass buttons. Maybe it's time to find
the box and look them over again.

Joy Beeson
--
http://home.earthlink.net/~joybeeson/ -- needlework
http://home.earthlink.net/~beeson_n3f/ -- Writers' Exchange

Old November 22nd 03, 11:13 AM
Joy Hardie

Joy,
I enjoyed visiting your website. it is always a pleasure to take a
peek into other peoples lives and see the many things they do. You
are so very lucky to have those old cherished items from the past and
even if the trunk lid did fray a bit of that lace....it still has a
story to tell and I always think it can be used for something. (But
then Iam a horrendous pack rat)
Do you think you will use those old items or display them in a
shadowbox (like they would on the show "clean sweep" or use them or
preserve them?

Old November 22nd 03, 03:32 PM
Trish Brown

joy beeson wrote:

snip

I have some of Grandma's buttons, but I don't recall seeing
any flattened-hourglass buttons. Maybe it's time to find
the box and look them over again.

Joy Beeson

I enjoyed your site too, Joy, and thanks for the chance to check out your
mystery objects. As a card-carrying school stockings-wearer, I can say that your
objects don't look like garters to me! The flattened hourglasses you speak of
required a different shaped wire jobbie to fit into - the plain triangular wire
on your objects wouldn't have held the hourglass 'thing' that kept my thirty
denier orthopaedic grade school stockins up! It would have fallen straight out
again! The wire thing on our garters (and every pair of garters I've seen) was
pinched narrow at the top to fit the narrow *inner* diameter of the hourglass
jobbie. At the top, or open end of the wire, it flared out to enable you to fit
in the wider, or outer diameter of the hourglass. The 'waist' part of the
hourglass jobbie was like a channel that slid into the pinched end and was held
there by the pull of the stockings downward...

I don't believe I'm writing this! LOL! It's like trying to describe a spiral
staircase without using your finger! LOLOLOLOLOL! Anyway, the v-shaped metal
wire bits make me thing the devices were designed to hold string or rouleau
rather than stockingtops.

Do we all remember the days pre-pantyhose?

I had to wear horrendous stockings with a garter belt and girdle to *school* in
the hot Australian summer! They were *awful* and just so sticky and unyielding -
no wonder I have dreadful circulation today! The boys from the school up the
road used to deliberately sit downstairs in the bus so they could get an eyeful
as the girls from our school for young ladies (ppbbbbllffftttt!) climbed the
stairs to the upper deck!

Of course, the garter belt would frequently give up its ghost at the most
inopportune moments (for example, just as one alighted from the aforementioned
bus!) and go PING, so that the little flattened hourglass jobbie would fly *off*
of one's garter and away to parts unknown! The stocking would sag and one would
then be forced to beat a hasty (albeit ingracious) retreat, hoicking at the
offending stocking all the way so that it wouldn't fall down and expose one's
thigh (which was usually pale blue and reminded one of the belly of a dead
fish...)

Ah memories!

--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old November 22nd 03, 07:09 PM
Joy Hardie

I don't think they are garters either. I just put garters on my 1903
reproduction corset and they are much different. All of the garters I
inherited from my mother, grandmothers and great grandmothers are all
basically the same - and quite different from your pictured items.
(yes, I know there is a history of pack-ratism in the family)
Anyway, I have seen those types of objects before and it will come to
me sooner or later....of course usually later.
Joy
Old November 22nd 03, 11:33 PM
RLK

"joy beeson"
I've had two people identify them as garters, and one said

(snipped)
Why grandma had two when you need four, I don't know.
Perhaps there were two decorated and two plain, and only the
decorated ones were kept when uglier, but easier to use,
garters came along? Or, perhaps, she used them as bag
tethers, as your grandma did.
http://home.earthlink.net/~joybeeson/ -- needlework

I hope no one is offended by what I'm going to say, but they look like
garters for a woman's "time of the month". I'm not THAT old, but I do
remember them. The garters get hooked onto a kind of belt or girdle.

Here is a link, tell me what you think. See the safety pins?
Sanitary Napkin Belts
http://www.mum.org/belthick.htm

Old November 23rd 03, 10:20 AM
Trishty

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 23:33:24 GMT, RLK wrote:

I hope no one is offended by what I'm going to say, but they look like

garters for a woman's "time of the month". I'm not THAT old, but I do
remember them. The garters get hooked onto a kind of belt or girdle.

Here is a link, tell me what you think. See the safety pins?
Sanitary Napkin Belts
http://www.mum.org/belthick.htm

Well, ain't that site a mine of information!?

Strange that it seems to be collated by a bloke, but nice to know someone
is archiving this 'secret' history, given the amount of ignorance and fear
girls stiff suffered from while I was growing up. I am only 40, but I had
school friends who weren't allowed to water plants while they were
menstruating, because the plants would die, or cook food, because it would
be tainted and all the rest of that superstitious nonsense.

Trish
Old November 23rd 03, 12:11 PM
Joy Hardie

Here is a link, tell me what you think. See the safety pins?
Sanitary Napkin Belts
http://www.mum.org/belthick.htm

Well, ain't that site a mine of information!?

Strange that it seems to be collated by a bloke, but nice to know someone
is archiving this 'secret' history, given the amount of ignorance and fear
girls stiff suffered from while I was growing up. I am only 40, but I had
school friends who weren't allowed to water plants while they were
menstruating, because the plants would die, or cook food, because it would
be tainted and all the rest of that superstitious nonsense.

Trish

Well, with great respect to Muslims, Yet it has come to my attention
and knowledge that they are not allowed to wear nail polish because it
can disguise a lack of cleanliness (probably true - if you have ever
seen under some long unkept painted nails). BUT, the exception is,
when they are menstruating, they can wear nailpolish because they are
deemed "unclean" anyway and can't do the regular prayers.
I can respect that.
But, oh how horrible to "advertise" when your time of the month is
when you do wear nailpolish.
I guess it is better than getting sent to the "unclean tent"
Joy

Old November 23rd 03, 02:53 PM
Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 23:33:24 GMT, RLK wrote:

.......they look like
garters for a woman's "time of the month". I'm not THAT old, but I do
remember them. The garters get hooked onto a kind of belt or girdle. .......

HMMM -- when I saw the photo of these things, I wondered about this. I'm
old enough that I DID have to use one of those lovely saniatary napkin belts
and hated them! Of course, the "hook part was shaped like a regular garter for
hosiery but had a sharp point right in the center of the loop that the pad end
was put through. This is what anchored the material of the pad and kept it in
place.
How old are the "items" under discussion? IIRC, the original poster said
they came from her DGMs stash -- is that correct? My Granny said that her
generation used rags kept specifically for that pupose and they were safety
pinned to something to keep them in place.
I can see safety pining these pretty little embroidered ribbon gizmos to your
undies and then putting the ends of the rag sanitary pads through those
triangle shaped metal parts and pinning the end to itself. That way you
wouldn't have to keep pinning stuff to your undies and possibly makes holes
that you would just have to repair!! CiaoMeow ^;;^
..

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ Queen of Kitties
Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about their
WHISKERS!!
Nothing is complete without a few cat hairs!