Can you recommend an over for polymer?

Old November 5th 04, 02:55 AM
Oppie

Default Can you recommend an over for polymer?

I'm interested in working with polymer and I was told that I shouldn't
use my regular kitchen oven. I'm not sure what the dangers or fuss and
muss might be, but she told me that I should get a separate oven in
which to bake the polymer.

I assume that the person who told me this (if indeed it is a reasonable
suggestion) meant that I should get a small oven - like one of those
toaster type ovens. Or maybe something a little more substantial.

Anyone able to give me some good suggestions in this area?

Op

Old November 5th 04, 03:02 AM
Jalynne

I know a lot of people who use toaster ovens. The most important tool, in that case
would be an oven thermometer. I personally use my regular oven and just make sure it
doesn't burn.
--
Jalynne - Keeper of the Quilt for ME club list

Old November 5th 04, 03:15 AM
Marissa Undercofler

I use my regular oven set to the temp that the directions say, and haven't
had anything burn yet (have only made things to bake 3 times so far). There
is no reason you can't use your regular oven unless it doens't heat
properly, but then you can just use an oven thermometer to monitor the temp.

Marissa

Old November 5th 04, 05:49 AM
Debbie B

Using your regular oven is okay as long as it doesn't burn. The best thing
to do is to tent everything you bake in it. (aluminum foil works)

I went to Wal mart and bought an $18 toaster oven & an oven thermometer. I
broke up a terra cotta pot and put the pieces in the bottom. That helped to
not have the temperature spikes that can happen.

--
Debbie (New Mexico)
My Crafts: http://home.earthlink.net/~debbierhcb/

Old November 5th 04, 04:19 PM
Sjpolyclay

I used my home oven for the first 8 years or so that I did clay. Keep an eye on
your temps by always using a thermometer that is separate from the one in the
oven itself, and do your batches of food and clay separately. For the last 12
years or so I've been using a large toaster oven--the little ones do not heat
evenly because things get too close to the heating element. I have two large
convection toaster ovens----sometimes they sell them on Ebay, I think the
Toastmaster Platinum brand I have has been discontinued. Black and Decker makes
a very nice one though, I used it in a 6 day class I taught last summer and it
was adequate for the job!
Sarajane

Sarajane's Polymer Clay Gallery
http://www.polyclay.com

Old November 5th 04, 07:57 PM
Oppie

Maybe one of those not-too-expensive convention ovens would keep the
temperature more stable?

Old November 5th 04, 08:46 PM
Sjpolyclay

Maybe one of those not-too-expensive convention ovens would keep the
temperature more stable?

right, thats what I've got. The circulating air does help eliminate hotspots,
but you still have to be careful of the warmup cycle going over the temp---I
always preheat, let it come down to 275F. And it needs to be large enough
inside that big items don't go too close to the heating element itself, where
the temp is much higher than at the pan level.

Recommend rope shop Y Korer Knots 1 February 8th 05 12:06 AM
Newbie to Polymer Clay - recommend a good book? Christi Conley Polymer Clay 5 November 28th 03 07:23 AM
Can anyone recommend a source for Bali Silver? Julie Ferguson Beads 4 August 13th 03 11:49 PM