OT - got a sewing machine!

Old July 16th 03, 08:04 AM
Helen C

Default OT - got a sewing machine!

Yay, scored a sewing machine at a garage sale this weekend. Pretty happy
but have sadly realized I have no idea how to operate the darned thing and
it didn't come with a manual (found one on-line to order but don't have the
$12.50 on the cc to send for it) Actually, I only know enough to make me
dangerous and I don't want to break it before I can use it G

It's a montgomery ward model # UHT J 1460 (I have the serial number too if
anyone's interested)

I know I need to get some thread. It came with a couple needles (including
a double one) and a box full of attachments that I'm not sure what to do
with.

Help!

Thanks,

Helen C

Old July 16th 03, 01:48 PM
BeckiBead

Helen -- send me the link to the online manual for $12.50

Becki
"In between the moon and you, the angels have a better view of the crumbling
difference between wrong and right.." -- Counting Crows

Old July 16th 03, 03:39 PM
Barbara Forbes-Lyons

I found the manual for only $8:

http://www.ucanprint.com/montgomery_wards_signature.htm

--

Barbara
www.penguintrax.com

eBay: pnguintrax
Justbeadsenguintrax

0
/O\

Old July 16th 03, 07:16 PM
Helen C

I'd tell you all no, but I'm not stupid BG It's even got a hand written
sticker on it that said it needs adjustment. Any suggestions? The only
real experience I've had with a sewing machine (other than that little bit
of home ec in HS) was "adjusting" my mom's machine as a kid (she was SO
happy!) So, did I get a good starter machine? Don't know squat about
brands. Now, along with needing more beads (who doesn't?) I'm going to be
jonesing for thread and fabic and notions. Ahh, life is wonderful. My
first project is to fix the kids blankets (they're currently using
full/queen size comforters that have seen better days) Gonna cut them down
for twin beds (think there's enough there!) and get rid of all the frayed
edges. Is this too big a project? I know it's too big for me to hand sew,
which is why I haven't done it yet.

TIA,

Helen C

Old July 16th 03, 07:47 PM
Barbara Forbes-Lyons

It's probably fine for a starter machine and cutting down/edging those
comforters doesn't sound like too big of a project for a starter - it's all
straight seams, LOL.

I'd call around to a couple local sewing machine shops and ask how much for
a machine cleaning & tuneup. That way they will get the machine in good
working order right from the start and possibly identify any problems with
the machine, so you are aware of them before you start a major project.
Usually the tune-ups are worth their weight in gold.

--

Barbara
www.penguintrax.com

eBay: pnguintrax
Justbeadsenguintrax

0
/O\

Old July 20th 03, 05:47 AM
BeckiBead

Barbara -- THANK YOU for the research and the link.

Helen -- send me your address. Your instruction manual is on it's way to me.

Becki
"Here in Alaska we call a shovel a shovel and a cock a cock" -- C.T.P.Peterson
Old July 20th 03, 09:18 AM
Helen C

Sending e-mail. Let me know. And lest I forget,

THANK YOU

Later,

Helen C