Old Sewing Machine Advice

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 19th 03, 03:34 PM
Diana Curtis

Default Old Sewing Machine Advice

Take the time to give your new toy a drink of oil after cleaning it
carefully. The links that Deborah gave you might show just where to put a
drop or two of sewing machine oil to keep the machine purring. If not, then
put a drop wherever two metal parts move against one another.
What do you hope to use your machine to make? Congrats on getting one of the
old girls. They tend to live forever, giving good stitches their entire
life!
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"Jewitch" wrote in message

My wonderful mother-in-law (did I mention she's wonderful) just made a
semi-permanent loan of her sewing machine. It's a beautiful old piece,
the "Domestic 618" put out by the "White Sewing Machine Products,
LTD." (World Wide -- Over 80 Years). Froim looking at the web site, I
placed iin the late 30's to mid-40's, but I could be wrong. Her mother
bought it second hand, a long time ago. Metal bobbins, thread on
wooden spools. A foot petal. It's just delightful, and much like the
machine I learned to sew on a million years ago.

Unfortunately, it has no instructions with it, and I think (hope) I've
threaded it wrong. I can only get one or two stitches to take, then
the thread breaks. Or maybe I have the tension set wrong? I've no idea
what it should be set at. Also, I can't figure out how to back
backstitch. I'll take a few pitcture tomorrow and post a URL so you
can see the machine, but if you old machine junkies can be running
this through your mind in the meantime I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Jewitch

Lampworking - need torch advice. BethF Beads 15 January 23rd 05 07:13 AM
Seeking Kiln Advice saucy Beads 5 August 11th 03 04:18 AM
OT - got a sewing machine! Helen C Beads 7 July 20th 03 09:18 AM
Need some advice Jalynne Beads 11 July 5th 03 11:20 PM