Pearls and Sterling Silver??

Old October 18th 04, 11:13 PM
Empress Beads

Default Pearls and Sterling Silver??

I briefly remember a post a LOOOOOONG time ago about Pearls and placing them
next to sterling sivler they will discolor. Is this true? Am I remembering
correctly? What is the usual outcome of doing this? I have thought of a
great design I can either go with a faceted yellow 6mm bead or a pearl. I
love pearls and I think it pops better with the pearls, but I don't want
them to discolor, since I am planning on selling this one.

I can not wait to show this one when it is done. I am so excited just
thinking about it.

Thanks for the info. in advance!!

Thanks
Amy
http://www.empressbeads.com

Old October 18th 04, 11:46 PM
C Ryman

I'm not sure if they will discolor but they might get silver tarnish on
them. The problem is that silver tarnishes and needs to be cleaned but
pearls are soft and delicate. I prefer to use gold filled with pearls.

--
Connie Ryman
Cryman Studio

Old October 19th 04, 12:14 AM
DreamBeadr

When the sterling tarnishes, some of that can work onto the pearls.
I use JewelBrite to clean my pearl & silver jewelry. It won't harm your
pearls.

Beki
http://www.whimbeads.com

Old October 19th 04, 12:52 AM
Empress Beads

Thanks! That is what I need to know. I will go a head and string it up and
take a picture to share.

Thanks
AMY
http://www.empressbeads.com

Old October 19th 04, 07:04 AM
WildPoppy1

i crocheted a beatiful neckpiece, a close choker with potato pearls and loved
it so much. it tarnished and without thinking, submerged it into silver
cleaner. when silver came out clean, pearls came out chalk. looked just like
pieces of chalk.

it sat on the counter for a few days, i just couldn't even touch it. we
rescued a pup, and as a joke, i put the silver choker on him, brutus the short,
a border terrier with short bow'd legs. it was on loose, there was no worry
about being too tight. within 4 days, however our ridgeback karat, and
schipperke sid, took exception to the flashy jewelry the newbie wore and
started trying to help him out of it. i stepped in and removed it. as i was
ready to throw it away, i noticed the pearls/chalk/were back to pearls.
beautiful luster...

so, either i have a magic dog and everyone can send me their broken pearls
......or

the oil from his coat is what had a hand in bringing back the shine.

i prefer the magic. wait, maybe i prefer the pearls

pat
http://imageevents.com/patmcaudel
pat moses-caudel
http://members.aol.com/patmcaudel/2index.html
Old October 19th 04, 02:20 PM
Carol in SLC

i prefer the magic. wait, maybe i prefer the pearls

LOL, Pat! Glad to see you posting!! That's good to know about the pearls -
I'm afraid I would have done something drastic before they were re-transformed
to lustrous pearls!

Carol in SLC
Some of my stuff: http://members.aol.com/cahslc/heart1.jpg
http://members.aol.com/cahslc/heart.jpg
http://members.aol.com/cahslc/schermo2.jpg
http://members.aol.com/cahslc/schermo3.jpg
Old October 19th 04, 05:33 PM
bluemaxx

Great story, Pat. You got to save your necklace after all through
'magic'?! I periodically handle all my strings of pearls to get
oil from my hands onto them... but maybe I should just send them to you
and let your dog wear them, eh?! lol
--
Linda
Visit my eBay Auctions - http://snipurl.com/twolegz

:
[...]

---

Old October 20th 04, 05:27 PM
Laurie

Hee hee! Great Pat Story!

The Use of Foul Language in Written Communication: The Tiny Rumblings of the
Ineffectual and Stunted Thinker. The Inability to Think Beyond The Obivious and
The Crude. ~~~Henry A. Byrne
Old October 22nd 04, 05:53 PM
Carol in SLC

Hee hee! Great Pat Story!

Hey, Laurie!! waving frantically
Whuzzzup?

Carol in SLC
Some of my stuff: http://members.aol.com/cahslc/heart1.jpg
http://members.aol.com/cahslc/heart.jpg
http://members.aol.com/cahslc/schermo2.jpg
http://members.aol.com/cahslc/schermo3.jpg

AD: Necklace/earring set on Ebay Valerie2 Beads 39 June 13th 04 04:27 AM
Packaging silver Pam Beads 3 April 16th 04 12:16 AM
[AD] NEW AT TRASH CITY - Hearts, Glass Pearls, Chandeliers, Multi Strand Bali Spacers Trashcitybeads Beads 0 February 12th 04 07:31 PM