How to Hang Wallhanging?

Old March 30th 07, 08:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in NE La.[_2_]

Default How to Hang Wallhanging?

I've got a Convergence Wallhanging ready to hang and have no idea what to
use to hang it. HELP! What do y'all use to hang a WUH? Do you use a small
curtain rod or something made specially to hang small quilts or WUH's?

--
Donna in NE La.

Old March 30th 07, 09:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathy Applebaum

At my old house, I used flat curtain rods. At the current house, DH bought
some copper water pipe, which he cut to about 1/4" narrower than the WuH.
(After I had a small fit about the possibility of the copper oxidizing, he
sprayed it with lacquer to prevent that.) He put a couple of molly bolts
into the wall just where the sleeves end, leave the bolt part of the molly
sticking out a bit, and the copper pipe sits on the mollies.

Pros for the curtain rods: easy to find, adjustable, don't make a bulge at
the top of the quilt like the round pipe does.

Pros for the copper pipe: much easier for me to take WuHs down when needed,
cheaper than the curtain rods, DH has fun cutting the pipe (must be a guy
thing *grin*).

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

http://fabrictramp.typepad.com/fabric_tramping/
remove the obvious to reply

. ..

Old March 30th 07, 09:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bonnie NJ

I have used dowel rods and hooks. I have also used curtain rods and mounted
rod hangers. On one occasion I used a dowel rod with monofilament fish line
which I suspended from a picture hook. So, I guess you can use whatever
works for you at the time ;-)

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old March 30th 07, 10:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in NE La.[_2_]

Thanks, Kathy. I thought about a curtain rod but didn't know what kind to
get. So might have to make a trip to Lowe's or Home Depot's curtain rod
dept. this weekend.

--
Donna in NE La.

Old March 30th 07, 10:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in NE La.[_2_]

Thanks, Bonnie! I now have a few ideas on how to hang it!!

--
Donna in NE La.
link.net...

Old March 31st 07, 02:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

I make two pieces of sleeve for the back side of the quilt- one for
each side (right and left) with a gap of a few inches in the middle,
run a 1/4 in. dowel (or the smallest dowel that won't bend from the
quilt's weight) thru it and use a picture hanger or small nail on the
wall. You can put any size wallhanging on it- a curtain rod would
limit you in size, I would think???

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

B "Donna in NE La." wrote in message
I've got a Convergence Wallhanging ready to hang and have no idea what to
use to hang it. HELP! What do y'all use to hang a WUH? Do you use a small
curtain rod or something made specially to hang small quilts or WUH's?

--
Donna in NE La.- Hide quoted text -

Old March 31st 07, 03:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

I often use a wooden dowel cut just a teeny bit shorter than the width
of the quilt (so you don't have to finish it). Drill small holes through
the dowel near each end. Run fishline from the hole in one end to the
hole in the other end and knot ends together. Hang from a small nail.
The hanging "mechanism" is almost invisible.

I also have a hanger from Art in a Pinch that I use to hang a large
quilt on my living room wall. It works very well.
http://www.artinapinch.net/

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old March 31st 07, 04:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Oops! I wasn't very clear in my previous post.... I just balance the
dowel on the nail. And I also cut it just a wee bit shorter than the
width of the quilt like Julia does.

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old March 31st 07, 02:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

For small hangings, those little flat sliding rods are great, the ones for
cafe curtains that attach to little screw hooks. You can either screw the
hooks into the wall, or use clear fishing line to hang from 2 tiny nails up
next to your ceiling molding. Make the sleeve about a half inch shorter than
the quilt at each end, so the rod doesn't show.
Roberta in D

. ..

Old March 31st 07, 08:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Judy

I use a dowel rod -- DH drilled a hole through the rod at each end. Because
no two of my seasonal WUH's seem to be the exact same size BG! I put the
dowel through the sleeve on the back, and then use cording tied at each end
of the dowel to hang it from a picture hook. The cording depends on the
wall hanging: - either fancy or country-straw style.
ME-Judy