thread: cotton vs cotton-polyester

Old July 29th 05, 05:51 PM
Ellison

Default thread: cotton vs cotton-polyester

Howdy!
I've heard this many times,
often accompanied by the words, "Not that I've seen it, but...."
I haven't seen any proof yet.
Harriet Hargrave, of course, is An Expert in her quilty world;
perhaps she's seen this up close and personally.
I've used the Coats&Clark poly/cotton thread for
piecing and handquilting for 30+ years,
with no sign of the thread cutting any fabric.
Not yet, anyway.
Grandma's funny pink quilt has C&C thread in it from 50 yrs. ago;
it's her haphazard quilting that needs repairs,
not the fabric from the thread. g
YourMileageMayVary

Ragmop/Sandy--not saying it can't happen, just that I've haven't
seen the problem yet ;-D

"Martha" wrote in message
m...
Hello!

I have been reading Hargrave's "Heirloom Machine Quilting". She is
very strong on the use of cotton-only thread in piecing and quilting,
because of the danger of polyester-cotton thread cutting the fabric
because it is stronger than the fabric.

What is your experience in this matter? Is there really a problem?

TIA!

Martha

Old July 29th 05, 05:55 PM
Julia in MN

Some say yes, it is a problem. Others disagree. Personally, I like the
100% cotton, but I have used the Dual Duty cotton-wrapped polyester,
too. I usually use the Coats & Clark Star brand, because it is good and
relatively inexpensive. I like the Mettler silk finish thread, but it is
more expensive. I have heard lots of good things about Aurifil, but
haven't had a chance to try it yet. It is important to use a good
quality thread, not the cheap stuff you sometimes find in bargain bins.
That will probably be weaker and will leave a lot more lint in your machine.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old July 29th 05, 06:43 PM
Marlys in Indiana

Can't imagine that a quilt is going to tear any more quickly than
clothing. I have sewed with C&C for clothing all my life but just
because Aurifil is finer and strong cotton, I love it for quilting. It
is less linty than the C&C. And when you get Aurifil from Donita
at www.lovetoquilt.com you can't go wrong on the price.
I think I calculated that it is just as cheap as the C&C Star brand,
and IMHO, I think it is better. (NAYY to Donita's website or her.)
Just passing along what I think is a great deal. I got the 6000yd
cone of the natural for all of my piecing and bobbin thread for
piecing as well as bobbin thread for the back when quilting. I've
also gotten several of the smaller colored cones for quilting as well.
Also I have no LQS that carries Aurifil and it is just as easy for me
to order over the internet. In fact I have no LQS at all. So the
internet is my friend when it comes to quilting needs as well as
many other things.
Just keep quilting. Whatever works for you should be just fine. I'm
pretty much in favor of "doing what pleases you". What works for
you is the best way to go, right!!! VBG
Marlys in Indiana

Old July 29th 05, 08:03 PM
Joanna

Just my two cents. But I've had too many troubles with the all cotton
thread breaking on me. Which doesn't surprise me I tend to be hard on
things sometimes. So I use the cotton wrap polyester and never have any
problems. I use Coats & Clark, Guitterman, or Mettler. My favorite if I
had to pick on is Mettler but I'll use any of those three depending on
the project, time, money etc..
Joanna

--
Remove QUILT to reply

Old July 29th 05, 10:04 PM
Ellen

"Martha" wrote in message
m...
Hello!

I have been reading Hargrave's "Heirloom Machine Quilting". She is
very strong on the use of cotton-only thread in piecing and quilting,
because of the danger of polyester-cotton thread cutting the fabric
because it is stronger than the fabric.

What is your experience in this matter? Is there really a problem?

Well I used Coats and Clark dual duty for piecing and some quilting for
years, then I switched to the Mettler/Metrosene Egyptian cotton for piecing
and some quilting. Now I use aurifil for piecing and some quilting. I also
use the Bottom Line thread that Libby Lehman has her name on as the bobbin
thread for a lot of machine quilting and I still sometimes use nylon
lingerie thread. As well as invisible thread and every decorative thread I
can lay may hands on most of which have never seen a cotton boll :-)

I have never seen any situation/deterioration/problem that I can lay at the
feet of the thread. Have I seen seams come apart? sure but that's cause I
managed to somehow not have sufficient seam allowance or done something else
intensely silly.

What I am interested in when I chose thread, in no particular order:
1) what is the fuzz factor? is my machine going to become a giant glob of
fuzz in the bobbin area that I will have to become a contortionist to
remove.
2) is the thread normal strength? if it is going to break easily then I want
to make sure not to use it in a quilt that is going anywhere other than on
the wall.
3) will it fit thru the eye of the needle and not shred itself to death
every 3rd stitch
4) is it the color and sheen that I want for my quilting

I will say that if I am making a quilt where I know it will be used heavily
and washed frequently and loved unto death then I use cotton thread to piece
and to quilt both on top of the machine and in the bobbin. My personal
belief is that for those kinds of quilts, where they may be tugged in a game
of tug of war and/or thrown over a clothes line soaking wet to dry (oy the
weight of the wet quilt is just a killer), then yes I use cotton thread
because, all things being equal. I would rather have the quilting thread
break than have it slice thru the fabric and I think there is a possibility
that could happen with nylon/poly thread. If you have enough quilting in a
quilt used and misused, a few broken quilting threads or even piecing
threads are not a show stopper. If the fabric gets damaged then you are
faced with the dreaded "A" word :-)

Ellen

Old July 29th 05, 10:54 PM
nzlstar*

the 'dreaded' A word.
oh now, dont be shy, you can say it.
i hope you can also do it.
its all that hard really.
lol
jeanne
--
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz
nzlstar on yahoo msg'r

"Ellen" wrote...
....you are faced with the dreaded "A" word :-)

Old July 29th 05, 11:51 PM
Donna in Idaho

Marlys, thanks for the info about "Love to Quilt." I really like the
Mettler Silk Finish cotton thread, but it only comes in small spools and I
can go through a lot of spools pretty fast. I like the fact the Aurifil
comes in bigger spools and it sounds like it might be just about as good as
the Silk Finish.

I love the area where Love to Quilt is. Wish I could go up there to buy my
thread instead of ordering! One of my favorite quilt shops is in that area,
too. Quilt Gallery in Kalispell. Huge inventory of fabric and a really big
class room - not that I've ever been able to stay around long enough to take
a class. That's also the area where McKenna Ryan (Pine Needle Patterns)
lives - I think she is in Big Fork. That area most really be conducive to
quilters!! Guess it's the long cold winters!
--
Donna in Idaho
Website: www.LinusIdaho.org

$x96.153529@attbi_s72...

Old July 29th 05, 11:54 PM
dogmom

Um....does the "A" stand for "Another"?

Dogmom, A bit confused....

Old July 30th 05, 12:03 AM
Sally Swindells

Applique?
--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~

Old July 30th 05, 02:03 AM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
"Donna in Idaho" (remove spam) wrote:

[...]

Donna, let me add my two cents about Aurifil. I love the stuff! It's
much nicer even than Mettler Silk Finish, which used to be my thread of
choice. The individual spools are more expensive than Mettler, but
there's so much more on each one that it actually works out to be less
expensive than Mettler. My SM loves it, too -- almost no lint at all!
Can you tell I like it? g
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education

A thread thread... Volfie, Owner, GizzMutt Stables Quilting 29 February 20th 05 09:14 PM
Machines and thread question muse9 Quilting 69 October 1st 04 09:44 AM
Rebekah cotton thread LLWeisse Yarn 0 April 4th 04 02:57 AM
rayon thread Roberta Zollner Quilting 0 February 20th 04 11:02 AM
Xmas ornament pattern Laurie Beads 1 July 6th 03 04:21 PM