Yarn sorting.

Old January 1st 04, 11:52 PM
Cher

Default Yarn sorting.

Hi all, the new year, brought about a new feeling of ''Must do''. So
whilst a joint of beef slowly roasted under DH watchful eye,I went up to the
shed and had a nose about.

What a shock I had. I'd forgotten about the extra stash I had aquired... A
lady friend who used to machine knit with me, moved away a few months ago,
and she gave me five huge bin bags filled with cones of yarn. Plus a couple
of boxes. I had gone up to her house, and got them, and literally just
dumped them unsorted in the shed. So I spent the morning putting up new
shelves to display them on. I like to be able to see my cones at a
glance, so that I can chose my colours. Especially for weaving. Edward
played happily on his Playstation 2 game, with Andrew, Dave cooked the meal,
and I got lost in fibre heaven.

Edward will go into respite tomorrow after lunch, until Monday evening, when
he returns home from school, so I plan to use some of the time to have a
real good sort out.

I also note the evidence of a mouse up there. So I gingerly pulled out the
cones of yarn, some of the cardboard inner tube has been eaten and a few
droppings are here and there. I shall have to go through everything and
make sure I haven't got a family of babies up there to eat their way through
everything. I left the shed door open in the vain hope that the mouse will
go, or at the least one of my cats will get it out. Nothing could be worse
than a mouse up in my weaving shed. I really don't want it eating anything
I am weaving! Oh what a nuisance. I doubt if my overfed felines will be
bothered to even look, and it is more than doubtful, that the mouse will opt
to live outside when it can bury itself in a cone of yarn. So over the next
few days I must look for it's nest.

Mind you I did notice some lovely autumn colours that would make a nice
throw, along with some blues in it.

This is what will perk me up, the planning of a new throw or wrap. I may
have to ply some yarns together as they are very fine, almost two ply
weight. very very thin.

I tend to plan my throw colours on the world around me, so because at this
time of year you see forty shades of brown, that is what I chose, in
springtime, all new fresh leaves ranging from lemons to lime greens and
fresh buds, mid summer is forty shades of green, then we have frosty days
of ice and snow, blues greys and some lavendars. So I am never short of
colour themes.

I'm itching to start, but I must make a way through this heap of bags of
yarns before I can get going. The floor and the sides must be hoovered as
well, then I shall be all set to go. I oiled and cleaned my looms before
closing the shed up a few weeks back, so they only need a polish cloth put
over them, just to wake them up again!

So what did you all do for your new years day??

Cheers....Cher

---

Old January 2nd 04, 03:18 PM
Katherine

Cher,
It sounds as though you had a great time. We stayed home for the day - I did
my New Year's cast-on, and knitted a couple of inched on the band, so that
is started. Not sure when I'll get back to it, but this is a beginning!
Enjoy your break this weekend.
Hugs,
Katherine

Old January 2nd 04, 03:44 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Wow Cher !! sounds really great ,,,,,, Have you ever tried Lottery
weaving ???? when i had many wools i cut a 2 inch end of each threw in
a box with lid , shaked well , took a masking tape , gluey side up ,
put my fingers in box nad took out a thread at a time and glued them
onto tape , as they came out . Than used this Line as guide for my
warp ,,,,, got extra ordinair interesting warps, than i dresses the
loom in any pattern , the colors break up the pattern format andmake
it into the most wonderful cloth , of coirse used same wools in weft
As for the mouse , went through this once , it came through the
window thus now we have Nets over all our windows ,I also had to go
through my stash , every thread was in my hands , used it to
reorganize it all in see through bags ,,,, than i spread some Strong
smelling Lavender or any other STRONG smell , they hate that !!!
mirjam

Old January 2nd 04, 05:35 PM
Cher

No doubt you'll get there Katherine, you always do. What colour is this
'band' cast on?? I take it, it is for a sweater??

cheers.....Cher

Old January 2nd 04, 05:50 PM
Cher

Lottery Weaving Mirjam?
No never, but what a good idea. I do tend to follow what is on the warp
with the same across for the weft. I end up with some interesting plaid
type of throws. If I do a twill... however I do like tabby or plain weave
quite a bit. The last one I did on the warp, 2ins of Shocking Pink; Mauve
and Blue, with a one inch of black between some of the colours, then did
the weft all in black. Plain weave or tabby. That was for a friends
birthday present, she wears alot of colourful wraps I left the ends two
inches of twist by twisting two ends then back twisting them against each
other, four in all, looking like they were plyed. That was really nice. It
was 34ins wide and 102ins long, then the twisted fringes at each end. She
loved it. She isnt' tall, but loves to throw the whole thing around her
black coat.

I've been spinning up multi colours too, I want to do a blanket throw, in
multi yarn, singles. The main colour in amongst them all is blues. but
they have all sorts in them, I did them on a hackle, I plan to put this on
a 45inch warp, then pick up one colour to go acrosss. I shall wind some
around some card and see what would look best with it. I have plenty of the
yarn, but I may use a false waste bit on the back so that I don't waste any
of my handspun. I thought If I thread up my loom front to the back, (not
done this before but I will try) then when I have the ends for the back
roller I will add some cotton or something to them so as not to lose any.
Could do this at both ends couldn't I? I tend to lose at least 18ins when
the back stick comes up. Like this I wouldn't lose anything. Just leaving
enough for a fringe.

Another pattern I like on a four shaft, is rosepathe tie up, and twill
lifts, this gives little ridges, and this looked fabulous on a baby
blanket....every row was like this VVVVVVVVV only the other way up..

Thanks for sharing your idea's I must try this. Also I must put up some
sort of smell in the shed that the mouse will exit his house for..

Cheers.....Cher

Old January 2nd 04, 06:16 PM
Katherine

Cher wrote:
No doubt you'll get there Katherine, you always do. What colour is
this 'band' cast on?? I take it, it is for a sweater??

Cast on in two colours - first time I did that! The colours now are pine and
seafoam - both shades of green. It is a pullover for me!!! If you would like
to have a look, you can see it here.
http://www.tradewindknits.com/thrsswea.html
Katherine

Old January 2nd 04, 08:23 PM
NoraBalcer

Katherine,

That is beautiful. Now, I've got to find my pattern so I can start my cast on
project. I've changed from fingerless gloves to a muff.

Hugs,

Nora
Old January 2nd 04, 10:41 PM
Katherine

NoraBalcer wrote:
Katherine,

That is beautiful. Now, I've got to find my pattern so I can start my
cast on project. I've changed from fingerless gloves to a muff.

Thanks, Nora. It will take me forever, but I'll be wearing it for a long,
long time!
I like the sound of a muff.
Hugs,
Katherine

Old January 3rd 04, 09:52 AM
Sarah Carter

Katherine wrote in message =
Cher wrote:
No doubt you'll get there Katherine, you always do. What colour is
this 'band' cast on?? I take it, it is for a sweater??

=20
Cast on in two colours - first time I did that! The colours now are =

pine and
seafoam - both shades of green. It is a pullover for me!!! If you =

would like
to have a look, you can see it here.
http://www.tradewindknits.com/thrsswea.html

Wow! That's really nice. Good luck with it.

Sarah
--=20
i canb ty[p3 wei9th m6y n0s4e

Old January 3rd 04, 11:31 AM
Cher

oooooooooh thankyou.....back in a mo...cheers.....Cher

Oh that is sooooo lovely...any tips on how to keep all the colours seperate
then Katherine?

Cheers......Cher

My yarn addiction Elsa Yarn 24 December 17th 03 04:30 AM
Yarn Forward Yarn Forward Yarn 2 November 30th 03 08:52 PM
FA Lots of Vintage Yarn! Noru, Pingouin, Lopi, More! DorothyRose1912 Marketplace 0 November 14th 03 02:19 AM
Aaaaaaaagghhh!! Slippery yarn rant... CMM PDX2 Yarn 8 September 1st 03 07:27 PM
New Yarn - Bernat Lu Lu Make Up Yarn 6 July 29th 03 09:16 AM