Should KwikSew be my first choice ?

Old August 25th 03, 01:46 AM
gail

Default Should KwikSew be my first choice ?

Hi Ladies
I have sewn simple dresses for my granddaughters,age 4 and 6. Now I want to
try my hand at t-shirts and pants.I have a serger and want to use knit
fabric for both. They are not near enough to fit but I can get their
measurements from their Mom. Should I try KwikSew or Stretch and Sew, and do
you have any tips for a newbie ? Thanks in advance

Old August 25th 03, 05:23 AM
L. Kelly

"gail" wrote in message
| Hi Ladies
| I have sewn simple dresses for my granddaughters,age 4 and 6. Now I want to
| try my hand at t-shirts and pants.I have a serger and want to use knit
| fabric for both. They are not near enough to fit but I can get their
| measurements from their Mom. Should I try KwikSew or Stretch and Sew, and do
| you have any tips for a newbie ? Thanks in advance

Hi Gail,

As a newbie sewer, I would recommend the Kwik Sew patterns. Although both are very good
for t-shirts and such, I find the Kwik Sew to be a little simpler to use and understand.
They are also multi-sized patterns so you can fit both girls from one.

As to tips...let's see.....

If you are using a knit for the first time, just take your time, pin lots so the edges
stay together when you are stitching a seam, and stretch your seams with even tension in
front of and behind the needle of the machine so that your seams will have a built in
stretch.
--
Hugs,
Lynn

*strip CLOTHES to reply*
Homepage:
http://members.shaw.ca/sewfinefashions/
See my boys: http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/papavince_29/

Old August 25th 03, 08:45 AM
Trish Brown

gail wrote:

Hi Ladies
I have sewn simple dresses for my granddaughters,age 4 and 6. Now I want to
try my hand at t-shirts and pants.I have a serger and want to use knit
fabric for both. They are not near enough to fit but I can get their
measurements from their Mom. Should I try KwikSew or Stretch and Sew, and do
you have any tips for a newbie ? Thanks in advance

G'day gail

Many of us here have used the Kwik Sew (Kerstin Martennson) books, 'Sewing for
Babies'; 'Sewing for Toddlers and 'Sewing for Children'. I have really enjoyed
using these books because each one contains virtually a whole wardrobe for a
child and only costs the price of two ordinary patterns! Also, the pattern
pieces are modular (ie all the sleeves fit all the armholes; all the collars fit
all the neckholes) and this makes them very useful in terms of putting together
bodices and tops and pants to fit your child's needs. Kerstin Martensson
includes very clear explanations for beginners with tips and tricks for getting
a more professional finish in the garments. She also adds clever ways to
personalise and trim garments to help make them more 'special' to the wearer.

My DD is nearly nine and I've made almost all her clothing from this series of
books! Oh, and of course, I have no association with Kwik Sew! I've just found
them to be excellent in terms of what I need to sew!

HTH,
--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia