tieing a quilt with cotton batting

Old January 10th 04, 10:28 PM
Cynthia

Default tieing a quilt with cotton batting

I had planned to machine quilt this and I basted it together in preperation
to do just that when I realized that it was so big that it would be really
difficult to work with so I changed my mind and decided to tie it. Do I
need to un-baste it and change the batting? How close together would the
ties have to be in order to use the cotton batting?

Thanks so much.

--
Cynthia
Remover the growl from the e-mail address to reply

Old January 10th 04, 10:42 PM
Julia Altshuler

You don't have to take out the basting or change the batting. How close
you tie depends on the batting. If you like, you could machine quilt
the borders where it is easier as you don't have to shove the whole
quilt under the arm of the machine and tie the middle where that becomes
a problem.

--Lia

Old January 11th 04, 12:14 AM
cozy

not all battings do the same thing, even in cotton battings. Some cotton
battings with special finishes are not as finicky. But you need to read
the bag it came in. If you already pitched it, go to the store and see how
close it tells you to quilt, if it doesn't say, expect the worse - real
close, because if it is special and gives more leverage it will surely be
tooting it's horn about it. You might also find it online if you already
pitched it. But, you are right to worry about it, because many cotton
battings require close quilting.

m...

Old January 11th 04, 06:54 AM
Cynthia

It is Warm and White batting which on the package says that quilting lines
can be up to 10 inches apart. Right now my ties are about 5 inches apart.
I was wondering if ties aren't as secure (I'm not quite sure how to say what
I mean) and if I should put them closer

--
Cynthia
Remover the growl from the e-mail address to reply
"cozy" wrote in message
. com...
not all battings do the same thing, even in cotton battings. Some

cotton
battings with special finishes are not as finicky. But you need to read
the bag it came in. If you already pitched it, go to the store and see

how
close it tells you to quilt, if it doesn't say, expect the worse - real
close, because if it is special and gives more leverage it will surely be
tooting it's horn about it. You might also find it online if you

already
pitched it. But, you are right to worry about it, because many cotton
battings require close quilting.

m...

Old January 11th 04, 07:30 AM
Jalynne

I think you should be fine. W&W doesn't tend to shift, in my experience, even after
washing a lot. And i don't quilt all that closely.
--
Jalynne - Keeper of the Quilt for ME club list

"Cynthia" wrote in message
m...
It is Warm and White batting which on the package says that quilting lines
can be up to 10 inches apart. Right now my ties are about 5 inches apart.
I was wondering if ties aren't as secure (I'm not quite sure how to say what
I mean) and if I should put them closer

--
Cynthia
Remover the growl from the e-mail address to reply
"cozy" wrote in message
. com...
not all battings do the same thing, even in cotton battings. Some

cotton
battings with special finishes are not as finicky. But you need to read
the bag it came in. If you already pitched it, go to the store and see

how
close it tells you to quilt, if it doesn't say, expect the worse - real
close, because if it is special and gives more leverage it will surely be
tooting it's horn about it. You might also find it online if you

already
pitched it. But, you are right to worry about it, because many cotton
battings require close quilting.

m...

Old January 11th 04, 01:59 PM
Carolyn McCarty

Fray-Check is wonderful stuff for tied quilts! I did three of them several
years ago, and they are still intact. My son's quilt now has frayed borders
(he uses it year-round) but the ties are fine.

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you aren't trying. --Red Green
If it ain't broke, it ain't mine. Carolyn McCarty

"Gail - UK" wrote in message
Hi there,

I occasionally tie quilts, especially if it's to be pretty for my
granddaughter. I worry about the knots coming undone too, so I dab
each one with a spot of Fray Check which is also washable. So far (
fingers crossed) none of mine have come undone!!

Love n Hugs

Gail

Old January 11th 04, 04:29 PM
Julia Altshuler

Cynthia wrote:
It is Warm and White batting which on the package says that quilting lines
can be up to 10 inches apart. Right now my ties are about 5 inches apart.
I was wondering if ties aren't as secure (I'm not quite sure how to say what
I mean) and if I should put them closer

With quilting or tying, there are 2 issues. One is making sure the
stitch stays securely in place, doesn't come out over time. The other
is making sure there are enough stitches or ties to keep the batting
securely in place, to prevent it from shifting. You don't want all the
batting to pool at the bottom. (My first "quilt" had no ties or
quilting stitches at all, and this is exactly what happened.)

If the batting says it can be quilted 10" apart, and if you've tied it
5" apart, I don't imagine there would be a problem.

--Lia

Haunted Christmas Quilt Nbhilyard Quilting 2 June 18th 11 05:04 PM
Help with Earthdancer, beads and scroll- Quilt Batting Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply Needlework 2 March 5th 04 03:50 PM
Tieing a quilt Laura Gilbert Quilting 6 October 20th 03 02:55 PM
Batting mini-rant: Poly v. Cotton Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply Quilting 2 September 16th 03 06:01 PM