Question about Plymouth Yukon Print Yarn

Old November 5th 06, 01:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Richard Eney

Default needle sizes varying

In article ews.net,
suzee wrote:
Leah wrote:
On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 07:05:23 -0700, suzee wrote:

Hi again, Sue,

Well, causes more on my end... I have a Boye gauge and it pegs 10s at
6.mm, and the rest the same as yours. Maybe yours is an older one? I
know some of my older needles don't size the same as the newer ones.

Yes, I've had my Boye needle gauge in my needle box for a # of years
now. Funny, but when seeing if anyone made size 12 needles via
Google, Wiseneedle's chart came up, and they still list Boyes the way
my gauge does, with 10 being 5.75 and 10.5 being 6.5 mm (and my KNs
fit those holes perfectly):

http://www.wiseneedle.com/string-or-...7e96ddfa0.aspx

Everyone else, Addi, Inox, Susan Bates, etc., all are listed as their
#10s being 6.0 mm on the same sizing chart, with 10.5 varying.

Weird!

I asked about an older needle gauge because some of my old needles are
thicker than the holes for their size on my gauge (which I got last
year). The 5s (they're like 40 years old) and either 13s or 15s (30
years old), or both of those are the ones that are just a scosh bigger.

Size creep. The old 2.50mm US size 2 is now officially a US size 1 1/2.
Why? Does somebody want to let people think they're using tinier needles
than they really are? Is it like clothing, where the more you pay, the
smaller the number on the size label? (Or as Mom used to say, "If you
pay enough, you're a size 10 no matter how fat you are.")

Sheesh.

=Tamar

Old November 6th 06, 02:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Tamar during my life ,, Brassiere numbers went DOWN ,, reason at the
time wasmany women using the pill , had bigger breasts, but didn`t
like the idea, thus manufactureres down sized the measuring numbers ,
I don`t understnd the down sizing of needles ,, i used to have a table
showing the various sizes ,, will check it out ,, Chaos for people
like me who bought needles in Europe /Isael in mm sizes , England and
USA ,.,,,,,,, i keep a special measure ruler ,,,
mirjam

Old January 22nd 09, 08:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
liznolfe

Default Question about Plymouth Yukon Print Yarn

liznolfe had written this in response to
http://www.sewgirls.com/yarn/Questio...Yarn-4489-.htm
:
I made a beautiful sweater using the Plymouth Yukon yarn and I love the
sweater. However, it SHEDS a LOT! Sheds all over everything. I walk
around in a haze when I wear it. All over the car, everywhere. Does
anyone have a remedy for the shedding? I sent a letter to Plymouth to
ask what I could do. I am very unhappy about the shedding....

Liz
DAB wrote:

The gauge is listed as 2 sts per inch on US 15 needles....so is it
Chunky
or Bulky? Also I have been looking for a hat pattern to use with
it....just
a simple rib 2x2 with SS for the top part and so far all I can find are
for
baby yarns or worsted weight yarn. I want to knit the hats in the
round. I
have 10 skeins in 2 different prints and want to make the hats for
Christmas
gifts.

TIA for any suggestionsG

Donna

Delivered via http://www.sewgirls.com/
Sewing Community of the Net
rec.crafts.textiles.yarn - 25416 messages and counting!

Sock Yarn Question hesira Yarn 10 June 28th 06 03:16 PM
yarn question Stella Fenley Machine Knit 2 October 13th 04 05:19 PM
FA Lots of Vintage Yarn! Noru, Pingouin, Lopi, More! DorothyRose1912 Marketplace 0 November 14th 03 02:19 AM
Yarn question Janise Ross Yarn 5 October 9th 03 04:15 PM
Aaaaaaaagghhh!! Slippery yarn rant... CMM PDX2 Yarn 8 September 1st 03 07:27 PM