OT - Quilt Guild Games

Old November 5th 05, 03:17 PM
KJ

Default OT - Quilt Guild Games

I have a set of those dice! What a great idea. My family didn't think
playing with pennies or nickels was much fun. I may play this with my small
group at our Christmas luncheon. IF I can remember to plan it.
KJ who seems to have a memory like a sieve these days

"Marcella Peek" wrote in message
In article ,
"Diane S. Keagy" wrote:

Hello,

I am the program chair person for all of our meetings and would like to
come
up with a new game to play at our Christmas meeting. We've have done the
Quilto game and many said it was boring.................so, I thought I
would tape the minds of many and see if any of you have suggestions?

Thanking you in advance,

Diane S. Keagy
Amelia Island Quilters

We had Linda Ballard come to our guild. She asked everyone to bring 10
- 6" squares of fabric. She then gave each table dice that had L, R and
C on them. You rolled the dice and for every L you passed one of your
squares Left for every R you passed a square to the person on your Right
and for every C you put a square in the center of the table. I think
each table had 3 or 4 dice. It went quickly and pretty soon only one
person had any squares left. The person left with a square got all the
squares in their pile and in the center of the table. Then, Linda gave
everyone a pattern made with 6" squares.

I found the dice at the local game shop at the mall. They came in a
tube with some poker chips. When I bought them the store clerk said
that lots of ladies had been buying that game lately :-)

It was fun and the game moved fast even with 7 or 8 at a table.

Also, one year we did a scavenger hunt. That was really fun. Each
month I read a list of 5 things they needed to find at their home to
bring to the meeting. I told them if they missed a meeting they missed
out because no one would want to help the competition. (also, the board
had agreed to omit the list from the meeting minutes but just say that
the next 5 items had been given) I had things on the list like:

Bring your oldest guild roster
Bring a ticket stub from any guild raffle quilt
Bring a quilt book by someone who has spoken at guild meeting
Bring a wooden spool
Bring a thimble
Bring a guild newsletter
Bring the ugliest fabric from your stash
Bring the oldest unfinished quilting project you have

and so on.

A team was whoever ended up at the same table together. Some things
like the ugliest fabric won individual prizes. I had given each table a
score sheet for them to check off the items the table had brought. The
winning table got a prize for each person.

The ladies really enjoyed it. I think the oldest unfinished project was
from the 1970's so that got a good laugh too.

marcella

Old November 5th 05, 08:06 PM
Susan Laity Price

We had an unannounced scavenger hunt. Everything had to be found in
our purses. There was a point system which I can not remember exactly
but it was something like this:

One point for every frequent buyer's card from a quilt store.
One point for every sample of fabric. (remember this had to be in your
purse!)
One point for each quilt show notice (a flyer not a calendar note)
One point for each quilting tool on a specific list like thimble,
scissors, needle, thread, etc.
One point if you had any of the following (no additional points for
multiples of the same thing) Pictures of your family, pictures of your
quilts, and a few other common things.

We had been arranged in groups of six members who didn't know each
other very well. The points were gathered as a team. It was a great
mixer.

Susan

Old November 5th 05, 08:39 PM
Marcella Peek

In article . com,
"marbles_2" wrote:

As a new member of a quilting guild, I'm eager to learn all the
different things that go on. I've made a quilted nametag, and done
show-n-share, and know that there are friendship quilt squares, fat
quarter drawings, and various charity projects. ...... but so far I
haven't encountered Quilto. Should I be afraid? How is it played???
(This way I'll know when it's a good time to politely excuse myself, or
just stay for the action.)

Annie

We played it this way (which seems to be different from the rest)
The bingo card had squares and QUILTO on the top.

Some of the squares were blank
Some of the squares had things written in them like, quilts left handed,
loves the color orange, has a birthday this month, has at least 4
children, quilts by hand etc.

People were given the form and had to get other guild members to sign a
square. You could only sign a persons page once. Once everyones card
was filled we played. Bowls of wrapped candy were on the tables for
markers.

When people checked in to guild meeting they wrote their name on a slip
of paper. We put all those slips in a bag and drew from there.

Our ladies really liked it, but then it was a bit of a mixer as well as
the game. That, and we've only done it once so it's not like they'd
been playing it once a year for the last 5 years.

marcella
Old November 6th 05, 03:54 PM
Kathy

Every year at our Christmas meeting we have a member that dresses as
Mrs. Claus and reads the Quilters Night Before Christmas. Everyone who
wants to participates brings in a $5 gift (quilt related) wrapped and
gathers into a circle. We most usually have 100% participation on this
with about 85-100 members at the meetings. Whenever Mrs. Claus says the
word "the" when reading the story we have to pass the gift to our right.
When she is done reading the story we end up with a gift.

Old November 6th 05, 04:09 PM
KJ

Very cute! Is the story different than the original?
Or is there a quilters version of the night before Christmas? Maybe I'll
google and check.
thanks.
KJ

Old November 6th 05, 04:15 PM
KJ

Ok I'm answering my own post. Does that mean I've finally lost it?
Anyway, who knew there were so many "Night Befores"? Check this out!
http://jjorg.chem.unc.edu/personal/m...asallmain.html

Old November 7th 05, 03:50 AM
Ellison

Howdy!
Here's one that a bunch of us played last year:
"Left/right party game"
Yahoo search offers several stories:
http://scoutingweb.com/scoutingweb/S...ristStryRL.htm

http://www.rachels-place.com/games/left_right.shtml