OT - for Shirley Shone - royal wedding

Old April 11th 05, 06:25 AM

Default OT - for Shirley Shone - royal wedding

Shirley,
I watched some of the broadcast of Prince Charles - Countess Camilla
wedding. I was wondering how you felt about it? What is the general
sentiment in Britain, are people happy for them?
I don't have any obligatory bead references, though I adored some of
the hats!

Patti

Old April 11th 05, 04:26 PM

Thanks, Shirley.
A lot of Americans feel the same way about the whole situation.
I had no idea about the taxes and thank you for enlightening me.
Patti

Old April 11th 05, 08:12 PM
Empress Beads

The Taxes suck!

I think marriage is perfectly fine. I think he should have the right to
marry whom he wishes. Even if he is a prince. He is human. I am not sure
what role Camilla should play in the scheme of royal things. I am not
British.

I remember as a child watching Princess Diana wedding and still amazed that
there even were princesses still in the world. I thought it was only in
fairy tales.

-Amy
http://www.empressbeads.com
"Shirley Shone" wrote in message
Well since we live further north we rarely get to see the Royalty. In my
nearly 70 years the Queen has been here twice and only once did I get a
glimpse of her in a car.
A lot of people are against them getting married and certainly do not wish
her to become Queen.

As the head of the country the Royals are supposed to be above reproach.
Charles should not have married Diana when he was lusting after Camilla.
He should have given up the idea of being King and married Camilla.
A lot of unhappiness would have been avoided and maybe Diana's death.

Up here the general idea is that there are too many hanger's on in the
Royal family and their money comes out of our tax payers pocket. That
means most people on the street that pay taxes. Even when we are retired
and get a works pension that is taxed.

I watched the blessing on TV just to see the fashions. Like you say there
were some wonderful hats. I thought Camilla's outfit very nice, flowing
and elegant although the colours did not show up well on the screen.

Having said that there is no place in the world that can beat Great
Britain for all the pomp and ceremony that it puts on for this type of
occasion.

Shirley

In message . com,
writes

--
Shirley Shone

Old April 11th 05, 09:41 PM
Shirley Shone

I hope you can get this. If not type Civil list into your browser
Shirley

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sta...e_royal_accoun
ts/civil_list.stmIn message ,

Empress Beads writes

Old April 11th 05, 10:58 PM
Tinkster

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 21:41:32 +0100, Shirley Shone
wrote:

Here's a snurl for Civil List
http://snipurl.com/dybd

Tink
Check here for available work:
http://blackswampglassworks.com/latest.htm
Old April 12th 05, 06:54 AM
Shirley Shone

Thanks Tink.
I must confess I am no good with transferring URLS. LOL
Shirley

In message , Tinkster
writes

Old April 13th 05, 11:10 AM
Kathy N-V

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 11:26:33 -0400, wrote
(in message . com):

Thanks, Shirley.
A lot of Americans feel the same way about the whole situation.
I had no idea about the taxes and thank you for enlightening me.
Patti

I was aware about the tax situation, but had always heard that the
Brits had determined that the money the royals brought in increased
tourism and so forth made it at least a wash, and possibly a money
earner. Kind of like a tourist attraction that owns Corgis. :-)

I know that many Americans wouldn't consider Britain to be Britain
without its royals, at least those in the core royal family. I know
that I was astonished to see just how many people were riding the
"royalty train," and if I were a British taxpayer, I'd want them to
get off and start earning a living like the rest of us.I'd go far
enough to say that if you aren't "royal enough" to have a title, you
don't need an allowance at taxpayer expense.

The thing that cracks me up is that so many of the traditions that
attract tourists and their money are really of recent development,
and are specifically for the benefit of tourists. (Changing of the
guard,anyone?)

The recent funeral of the Pope reminded me of the difference. Those
silly uniforms worn by the Papal Swiss Guard were designed by
DaVinci, and are the Real Deal. I am not so sure about the uniforms
worn by the guards at Buckingham Palace. (they aren't from the 16th
century, that's for sure)

I suspect that the British people would be happier if their royalty
behaved like say, Danish royalty. Available to the people in the
ceremonial role, but generally living like normal (very rich) people.
Until relatively recently, the Swedish royalty required no security
at all, and shopped and saw movies like normal people. Compare that
to the over-the-top ceremonies held in Britain, like Charles and
Diana's wedding.

Unfortunately, the murder of Swedish Prime Minister, Olaf Palme,
right out in the open has changed the royals' policy in that country,
which in my opinion, is a real shame.

We couldn't allow the president of the US or his family the same
freedom we all enjoy because of two things: the utter persistance of
the press (a trait we share with the Brits). Can you imagine if one
of Pres. Bush's daughters were spotted at the local pharmacy buying
contraceptives or even worse, the "morning after" pill? and (2) the
sheer number of crazies walking around, many of them armed. Our
constitution forbids the government from taking guns away from most
people, and a lot of people who shouldn't be walking around unaided
are able to purchase and carry serious weaponry Not a safe situation
for a Very Public Figure.

It's a shame, really - on all sides.

Kathy N-V

P.S.: My meds are kicking in, please pardon the typos, and I'm going
to have to sign off now. I've missed you all, and will be back as
soon as I can.