And so , back to needlework

Old July 22nd 03, 09:24 AM
Jan Lennie

Default And so , back to needlework

Thanks Ellice ,
I'll certainly look for that book .My daughter is Ellinor Jane (Ellie for
short) - I was bitten by the history bug while pregnant - had to sit around
on monitors quite a lot ,so needed a good read . I'd dearly love to take one
of the City and Guilds courses - maybe textiles or needlework but they're so
expensive so on the whole my needlework is self taught with the aid of books
and the internet . I'm a model stitcher for a couple of people and have
tried my hand at most forms of needlework . Stumpwork is my stumbling block
at the moment - I really want to do it and can do the necessary stitches but
it's so 'fiddly' and I cant do it while supervising my daughter.
Jan
"Ellice" wrote in message
Welcome, Jan. New voices always welcomed - add more to the fullness of our
debates. And, you already show wit - great ;^)

On 7/21/03 5:04 PM,"Jan Lennie" posted:

like a bit of help if I may. I'm about to stitch Dimple Designs 'The

Heir'
and I want to use Rajmahal silk in place of DMC Rayon for the Merman's

hair.
How many strands should I use on 32ct or should I go for a complete

thread ?

Personally, I like very full coverage, and if this weight is similar to
other rayons, I'd use 2 strands. But as someone suggested, try some

stitches
each way. This is the perfect question to look up in the Thread

Thesaurus -
but my office is a tip, and I can't find much right now, so I can't give a
better answer. Don't forget to try dampening the thread before you stitch
with it, and definitely ply it apart, then put your 2 strands back

together.
Also, you probably need to use shorter lengths than with floss - in case

you
hadn't done this before.

All constructive suggestions welcomed.
By the way I'm 45 with a daughter of 3 and a son of 15 I was in the

WRAF
for 13 years having left formal education at 16 and since I left school

have
both studied and worked for what seems like forever ever since taking
courses in Life sciences, computing and Literature and business studies

.. At
the moment I'm studying Tudor and medieval history with particular

emphasis
on women's role in this period. I'm also trying to study the different
aspects of needlework and restoration , Oh and I start back to work

after
having had 3 years 'break ?!!!!' with my sweetie daughter next week

albeit
only part time .
The reason for my canned history is so that I at least am considered

worthy
of some sort of reply .

Undoubtedly more than worthy. Of course, needlework questions are always
worthy - IMHO. It's the other stuff that gets folks going - but, I suspect
your tongue was firmly in cheek with that comment.

You sound like one very busy woman. I admire your energy. You might really
like this book called "The Embroiderer's Story - Needlework from the
Renaissance to the Present Day" by Thomasina Beck - it's published in the

UK
by David & CharlesMy best history classes - way back when - were taught by

professor of Women's Studies from Duke. She was a very witty, intriguing
woman, specializing in the roles of Women in Medieval England, and had

given
her children interesting names - like Bronwyn & Aelric (sp). Taught a

great
class in the Fall of Rome thru the Middle Ages, kind of paralleling the

rise
of Christianity. Great debates happened in that class, particularly with

the
students from stricter, traditional, conservative backgrounds.

I await with baited breath.

Take some deep relaxing breaths, and good luck on your stitching. Happy to
have you here.

Ellice

Old July 22nd 03, 12:31 PM
Elizabeth Fusina

Jan Lennie wrote:

I haven't posted here before (at least I don't think I have - a mix of mummy
brain , blonde moment and senior moment could prove me wrong !!!!!) but I'd
[...]

Hi. Welcome! I have seen the chart for The Heir, and it is gorgeous-I
should purchase it, I have done PinnStitch's Mermaid Heaven, and I think
my son would like The Heir.
Anyway, I expect that others have weighed in, but why not just make a
few stitches with the various options, and see which you like best? I
speak as one who has rarely ever stitched something as charted, I
generally customize them, either by using different colors or changing
the type of floss, or even tossing out things I don't like. It has
reached the point that my stitch buddies crack up when I admit to having
changed something. One of them told me to just tell them if I did a
chart as the designer designed it, it would be quicker all round.

Elizabeth
Old July 22nd 03, 02:30 PM
Pat Porter

Hi Jan,

Nice to meet you - we aren`t USUALLY as bad as this - as someone else said,
sometimes we`re MUCH worse - but at least, particularly having been in the
services, you`re more likely to see the underlying humour and leg-pulling in
most cases!. Nice to meet another with an interest in mediaeval history,
too.

Are you in the UK? We need a few more over here just to keep our end up!

Pat P

"aeromom" wrote in message
. ..

?
All constructive suggestions welcomed.
By the way I'm 45 with a daughter of 3 and a son of 15 I was in the

WRAF
for 13 years having left formal education at 16 and since I left school

have
both studied and worked for what seems like forever ever since taking
courses in Life sciences, computing and Literature and business studies

..
At
the moment I'm studying Tudor and medieval history with particular

emphasis
on women's role in this period. I'm also trying to study the different
aspects of needlework and restoration , Oh and I start back to work

after
having had 3 years 'break ?!!!!' with my sweetie daughter next week

albeit
only part time .
The reason for my canned history is so that I at least am considered

worthy
of some sort of reply .
I await with baited breath.
Jan

Welcome,
I don't have the answer to your silk question but just wanted to welcome
you aboard the NG. I just found it myself a few weeks ago. Lively bunch.
Good information and helpful. Have fun.
aeromom

Old July 22nd 03, 03:00 PM
Shstringfellow

- had to sit around
on monitors

Brain not working today- had a mental picture of daughter sitting on a computer
monitor- wondered why! Then, all fog cleared and I finally got it! Don't think
I'll attempt anything too complicated today-like cooking, cleaning,
laundry....!
SueS

Old July 25th 03, 03:53 AM
Kim McAnnally

ACK! Being 45 with a 3 year old daughter gets you considered worthy in more
ways than one! We have a couple in our church who are both about 44 with TWO
children in diapers, and I don't know how you (or they) do it! I'm in awe -
I can barely keep up with my 10 and 6 year olds and I'm 33!
About the silk, I haven't worked with that particular brand, but the silk I
have worked with was *very* thin and I used two strands on 28 ct (would use
2 on 32 ct also)
Hope that helps if someone else hasn't answered this question yet (I'm *way*
behind in my reading!)
Kim
--
Quality Products, Friendly Service
See the Summer Blowout Sale here!

Old July 26th 03, 10:22 AM
Pat Porter

"Jan Lennie" wrote in message
Yes Pat I live in Wiltshire - a stones throw from Stonehenge ( a bit too

big
to throw)
Jan

Oh great - we`ll be able to wave to you as we go down to Plymouth! We always
go that way - the M4 is so BORING.

Pat P

I think I'm back! Sjpolyclay Beads 23 October 7th 04 09:14 AM
AD: Finally back melting glass. EBay and JB auctions Susan B. Beads 14 April 14th 04 08:34 PM
Back With a Bang! :o) >^,,^ Polymer Clay 6 October 3rd 03 06:03 AM
OT- back from the southwest :D alia Beads 6 September 9th 03 08:03 PM