QI health

Old July 3rd 12, 10:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Default QI health

Had all the kitties to the vet.

Thorncat flunked her tests.
She has a "largish mass in the vaginal area". Her kidney function was
poor, and after a couple of weeks of a new diet, an antibiotic, and a
couple hundred ml of subQ fluids it was actually worse.

We are continuing the diet, she has had more fluids, If she is not
better day after tomorrow, we will have to have her in for fluids once or
twice a week for a while to try and get some improvement (free since we
already bought the 1000ml bag). Also if there is no improvement this
time, they are going to biopsy the mass to see what it is. A cancer
could be responsible for the kidney problems, or they could have come
about just because she is a 10 year old cat who has eaten major company
commercial cat food her whole life. If her kidney function has improved
enough, they will operate to take the mass out. If it hasn't improved
they dare not operate for fear that she will be unable to metabolize the
anesthetic.

OK, her new prescription diet is Science Diet KD. She eats the kibble
just fine, but neither she nor any other cat in the house recognized the
canned food as food. _None_ of the 4 would touch it. We were supposed
to be giving her the antibiotic in the canned food, but even without the
medicine she would have nothing to do with that particular food! We had
to hit the net and research cat food to find one that was close to the
same analysis and give her the pills in that. Pilling Thorncat? Ha! Do
not laugh make me! I value my limbs thank you very much.

Curiously the people at the vet's office just love Thorncat.
They say she is a real sweetie, biddable, good tempered, tolerant of
strange people and animals.
?!!?
This is the same cat who nearly gave a guy an anklectomy because he
stepped too close when walking past her? The same cat that nearly flayed
my arms off when I had to whisk her away because she thought my parents
yappy Italian greyhound looked like a tasty treat? The same cat that Jiji
got into a fight with because she thought noisy babies should be shredded
and Jiji is an ardent "Save the Kittens! No matter what species" kind of
tomcat?
Is there some alien frequency generator that turns her into a Stepford
cat when she is at the vet's office?

NightMist

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?
Old July 4th 12, 12:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

"NightMist" wrote in message

Had all the kitties to the vet.

Thorncat flunked her tests. (clip-----)
NightMist

Sure hope you find the can food that you can hide her pill in. It's hard
when you dear pet is sick!
Barbara in wet, hot SC

Old July 4th 12, 09:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

On 03/07/2012 22:45, NightMist wrote:

[...]

Hugs to the poorly kitty.

I'm not sure the cat food will have had anything to do with her
health... Our two are 14 and have had nothing but commercial stuff and
Aldi's cheap as chips stuff that they much prefer, and they still bounce
round like the Energizer Bunny for half the day.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old July 4th 12, 10:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells[_3_]

Neither of mine will touch tinned catfood - both have 'biscuits' but
both will sell their souls for Tuna meant for humans! I always keep a
tin of 'Tuna in spring water' (so I don't have to rinse off the oil or
salted water) in their food cupboard so I am prepared if they have to
have medicine/pills. They gobble it up beautifully! (Even the vet
couldn't make Mia swallow a pill!)

Hope all goes well for Thorncat.

Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
http://picasaweb.google.com/SallySeaside

Old July 4th 12, 12:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jeri

"NightMist" wrote in message

[...]

Hi Nightmist,
My Peanut is 14 and has chronic kidney disease (CKD). The vet found it about
6 months ago after a blood test prior to dental work that required
anesthesia. We went through the same thing with the special kidney diet
canned food. She wouldn't touch it. We tried everything... mixing it with
salmon oil, tuna fish water, sprinkling it with parmesan cheese, etc. It got
to the point where I seriously thought she was going to die from starvation
rather than kidney failure.

I did a bunch of research online and found out that cats are obligate
carnivores getting the nutrients and calories they need from eating meat.
The kidney prescription diets, while low in phosphorus, aren't really good
for them because they're full of grains which cats can't use and low on the
meat they require. My husband and I decided we'd rather have her enjoy what
life she had left rather than spend it crying for food and sleeping to get
away from the hunger pains. So we switched her to Wellness brand Turkey
Recipe. It's a grain free, high quality protein canned cat food that had one
of the lowest phosphorus level of all the regular foods I looked at. The vet
gave us a prescription for aluminum hydroxide powder that binds phosphorus.
It gets mixed into her food twice a day and she doesn't mind it at all.
She's finally gaining weight back and her blood work is looking much better
with some of the values actually within normal ranges. She'll always have
CKD and at some point the binder won't help anymore but for now she's her
old self again!

Here are the sites I found very helpful...
http://www.felinecrf.org/index.htm
http://www.felinecrf.org/canned_food...od_data_tables
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=58227
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....rus+ca t+food
http://binkyspage.tripod.com/CanFoodNew.html
..
As for the alien frequency generator, I bet your vet uses Feliway. lol
http://www.feliway.com/us My vet just started using it to make kitties feel
more secure and safer when they visit.

I hope this helps and your Thorncat is feeling better soon!
``
Jeri

Old July 4th 12, 07:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Had a friend whose kitty (Siamese mongrel) tolerated pills in a
spoonful of peanut butter. But she had to explain it to him every
time. Hope your Thorncat improves.
Roberta in D

Old July 4th 12, 07:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

Wonderful!
..
In message , Roberta
writes
Had a friend whose kitty (Siamese mongrel) tolerated pills in a
spoonful of peanut butter. But she had to explain it to him every
time. Hope your Thorncat improves.
Roberta in D

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green
Old July 5th 12, 04:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Speaking in total ignorance but one of the things my friends who are
inclined to have kidney stones must avoid is peanut butter. Our Sweet Pea
loved chopped apple. Really. So. We'd slip his pill into the spoons of
apple. It went right on down. Yes. We really did chop apple every evening
and feed him with a spoon. He also had a spoon of buttermilk. Loved that
precious kitty. Polly

"Pat S" wrote in message
Wonderful!
.
In message , Roberta
writes

Old July 5th 12, 01:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak[_2_]

On Tue, 3 Jul 2012 16:45:07 -0500, NightMist wrote
(in article ):

[...]

Thorncat's temperament sounds a lot like Katie Mae. People who don't know
her love her. We think she's very irascible.

Two of the three cat's here will eat canned food though. They think it's the
best treat ever.

Maureen

Old July 6th 12, 09:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Well Thorncat's BUN levels came back much improved.
She goes to the vet Monday morning for surgery.
On the one hand the majority of masses found in cats are cancerous, on
the other hand this a really weird place for a spayed cat to have such a
mass. Fingers crossed that it is something simple and stupid.

NightMist

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?

OT- another health update judyanna Quilting 14 July 12th 09 04:37 PM
OT DH Health stuff NightMist Quilting 12 October 29th 05 08:00 PM
Ot_FIL Health Christina In Ok Quilting 16 October 31st 04 05:31 PM
OT. Cicadas and health. Gillian Murray Needlework 3 May 16th 04 07:49 PM
OT - OT -- health concerns Dragonfly Quilting 12 September 24th 03 11:27 PM