Scissors, part 2

Old June 27th 12, 05:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default Scissors, part 2

Sunny is happy with her Kai scissors and I'd like to try them. Mercy!
there are just so many to choose from. Okay. I know my little old hands
won't really need the twelve inch shears. And I know my hands are happier
with 7". But - I just never thought about it; always have chosen the 'bent'
ones. Do I really want 'bent'? Just because it's what I've always had
doesn't mean it's the best choice. Do you like bent or straight and is it
because it's what the Home Ec teacher 'said' or what Grandma always used? I
would moan that something so simple as buying new scissors is such a
challenge - but honestly am so happy to have so many choices. If I make the
wrong choice, it's not like I adopted them and have to keep them for the
rest of my life. Your thoughts? Polly

Old June 27th 12, 07:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ursula Schrader

"Polly Esther" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Sunny is happy with her Kai scissors and I'd like to try them. Mercy!
there are just so many to choose from. Okay. I know my little old hands
won't really need the twelve inch shears. And I know my hands are happier
with 7". But - I just never thought about it; always have chosen the
'bent' ones. Do I really want 'bent'? Just because it's what I've always
had doesn't mean it's the best choice. Do you like bent or straight and
is it because it's what the Home Ec teacher 'said' or what Grandma always
used? I would moan that something so simple as buying new scissors is
such a challenge - but honestly am so happy to have so many choices. If I
make the wrong choice, it's not like I adopted them and have to keep them
for the rest of my life. Your thoughts? Polly

Well, I tried my teacher's KAI and was overwhelmed, but Katexxxxxxx quite
swears by those Fiskars ones, and I got them via Amazon as a bargain and am
very happy with them. Just my 2 c.

U.

Old June 27th 12, 08:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

On 27/06/2012 07:02, Ursula Schrader wrote:

[...]

I have both Kai and Fiskar scissors. Two pairs of sidebent Fiskars
dressmakers sheers, several smaller pairs, and one smaller pair of Kai.
The Kai and the Fiskars smaller scissors are on a par for weight. For
speed and power on long cuts and larger pieces, the larger Fiskars are
better because of the size and comfort of the handles, but for smaller
fiddly things and trimming seams I like the Kai better than the smaller
Fiskars. They seem to hold an edge a little better than my smaller
Fiskars (some of which are their cheaper black handle range), and corner
better!

I prefer sidebent scissors for dressmaking as they slide along the table
nicely, keeping the cloth as flat as possible. For bias cutting and
anything very light weight or slippery, I use a rotary cutter and
several large cutting mats!

Anything much larger or any heavier than the Fiskars dressmaking sheers
is too large and too heavy for my hands. Yes, when you slide them along
the table, the table takes most of the weight, but if they are STILL too
heavy or you can't open them wide enough for the added advantage of the
longer blade to make a difference, go with what fits your hands and is
comfortable.

One last note: I haven't had much luck with Kai customer service: I had
a pair of their scissors that was faulty, and they asked me to post them
off to their European headquarters somewhere in France. I did, and
never saw them or heard from them again. On the other hand, I had a
pair of Fiskars kitchen sheers that had one blade break in two at the
riveted pivot point. Take into account that these were by then over 20
years old and hard used (they had even been 'lost' at one point and
spent several years 'resting' in the garden shed, in a sack of potting
compost!), both in the kitchen cutting things like chicken legs in half,
and as pruners for smaller plants. They too asked me to send them back.
Less than a week later they sent me a note of apology, a report from
their metallurgist about why they had busted, and a replacement pair!

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old June 27th 12, 01:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

I like straight ones, because sometimes I cut odd angles with my hand
turned in the "wrong" direction. But why are you limiting yourself to
one pair?
Roberta in D

Old June 27th 12, 01:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak[_2_]

On Tue, 26 Jun 2012 23:49:47 -0500, Polly Esther wrote
(in article ):

Sunny is happy with her Kai scissors and I'd like to try them. Mercy!
there are just so many to choose from. Okay. I know my little old hands
won't really need the twelve inch shears. And I know my hands are happier
with 7". But - I just never thought about it; always have chosen the 'bent'
ones. Do I really want 'bent'? Just because it's what I've always had
doesn't mean it's the best choice. Do you like bent or straight and is it
because it's what the Home Ec teacher 'said' or what Grandma always used? I
would moan that something so simple as buying new scissors is such a
challenge - but honestly am so happy to have so many choices. If I make the
wrong choice, it's not like I adopted them and have to keep them for the
rest of my life. Your thoughts? Polly

I have some straight ones, but only use them for paper. For some reason, I
can't put my finger one, bent shears just seem like sewing shears to me.

Maureen

Old June 27th 12, 02:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Exactly, Maureen. I only use the straight ones for paper too. Just didn't
know why. Polly

"Maureen Wozniak"

Old June 27th 12, 02:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

There are plenty of old scissors around here, Roberta. Just time for a new
pair and I wanted the thoughts of you all before I added to the collection.
And you're right - sometimes I cut odd angles from the wrong direction too.
The neckline curve for a size 3 pound preemie calls for some serious angling
around. Polly

Old June 27th 12, 03:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Allison

On 27/06/2012 12:49 AM, Polly Esther wrote:
Sunny is happy with her Kai scissors and I'd like to try them. Mercy!
there are just so many to choose from. Okay. I know my little old
hands won't really need the twelve inch shears. And I know my hands are
happier with 7". But - I just never thought about it; always have
chosen the 'bent' ones. Do I really want 'bent'? Just because it's
what I've always had doesn't mean it's the best choice. Do you like
bent or straight and is it because it's what the Home Ec teacher 'said'
or what Grandma always used? I would moan that something so simple as
buying new scissors is such a challenge - but honestly am so happy to
have so many choices. If I make the wrong choice, it's not like I
adopted them and have to keep them for the rest of my life. Your
thoughts? Polly

My favorite "big" scissors right now are Fiskers - one side straight and
the other not so I guess they are half bent? They have been staying
sharp very well. Never tried Gingher or Kai but maybe I should just
for comparison. Altho I imagine any new pair of scissors will cut
better than an old pair from my sewing drawer.
Allison

Old June 27th 12, 04:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

On Tue, 26 Jun 2012 23:49:47 -0500, Polly Esther wrote:

Sunny is happy with her Kai scissors and I'd like to try them. Mercy!
there are just so many to choose from. Okay. I know my little old
hands won't really need the twelve inch shears. And I know my hands are
happier with 7". But - I just never thought about it; always have
chosen the 'bent' ones. Do I really want 'bent'? Just because it's
what I've always had doesn't mean it's the best choice. Do you like
bent or straight and is it because it's what the Home Ec teacher 'said'
or what Grandma always used? I would moan that something so simple as
buying new scissors is such a challenge - but honestly am so happy to
have so many choices. If I make the wrong choice, it's not like I
adopted them and have to keep them for the rest of my life. Your
thoughts? Polly

For every season there is a scissors.

I prefer the large bent variety for general cutting when a rotary cutter
won't do. Long stretches of silk (or other slippery fabrics), gentle
curves etc. you can scoot the lower blade right along your cutting
surface while maintaining good control.
I prefer the smaller straight kind for detailed cutting. The sort of
thing where you have to go in multiple directions in tiny increments and
regardless of your best intentions pick the fabric up to get the weave
closer to your eyes so you can snip a thread at a time.
I've been meaning to get another mid-sized pair for in between sort of
work. I just have no luck hanging on to those.

I have to say I do not like Fiskers. I have never had a good pair.
Aside from my Ginghers my best pair of standard dressmakers shears is an
ancient pair DH found at a yard sale. No idea what brand they might be.
They are made in England and have a gold plated blade guard. I took them
to the jeweler, and he tightened them up for me. Since then they have
been one of the best pairs of scissors I have ever owned.

NightMist

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?
Old June 27th 12, 06:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in Idaho[_3_]

Kate, after reading your message, I went shopping on Amazon (haven't
bought anything yet). I discovered that Fiskar also makes kitchen
scissors. I had to give away the really good pair of Cutco kitchen
scissors I had because they hurt my thumb so bad - bad enough that I
couldn't even make the scissors go!

Looks like I need to buy some more scissors!

Donna in Idaho

On 6/27/2012 1:55 AM, Kate XXXXXX wrote:
[...]

My weekend - first the hockey part, then the on topic part Cheryl Isaak Needlework 10 January 14th 09 03:46 PM
Scissors Richard Grimes Needlework 4 February 17th 08 10:43 PM
Scissors [email protected] Needlework 15 November 30th 07 03:55 PM
OT - News... one part hopeful, one part not the best MRH Yarn 21 September 18th 05 04:27 PM
Strange problem (part rant, part humor) georg Yarn 16 November 5th 03 12:40 AM