Fusing "gold" leaf

Old January 24th 04, 02:09 AM
Gordon Williamson

Default Fusing "gold" leaf

Hi all,

I recently purchased some "gold leaf" and fused it between 2 sheets of clear
glass. I was expecting it to remain gold in colour but instead it went blue
and has broken down quite a lot.

Is this the usual behaviour for gold leaf or have I perhaps bought an
artificial version?

Thanks

Gordon

Old January 24th 04, 02:51 AM
C Ryman

Did you buy the gold leaf at a craft store? Real gold leaf is pricey and
will list the karatage on the package, like 23K. My foil is very thin and I
usually need several layers (if I can keep it off my fingers and keep it
from floating away). Some metals tend to turn colors if they get oxygen
while heating up. Copper turns red, silver some times turns yellowish or
turns the glass that color. I think bronze might turn blue but can't
remember for sure.

--
Connie Ryman
Cryman Studio