Beginner's Fusing Kiln

Old October 29th 03, 12:03 PM
Jeff Cochran

Default Beginner's Fusing Kiln

I'm looking for recommendations on a beginner's kiln for fusing. Been
looking at a Jen-Ken jewelry kiln for about $360, infinite switch and
analog pyrometer, mostly because the dealer I like for my stained
glass is selling these and including an introductory pack of Wasser
glass. Looking at 110v kilns only at this time, if this pans out I'd
have no problem investing in a better/bigger/stronger/etc. kiln in the
future.

Thanks for any suggestions, insights, warnings and so on.

Jeff
Old October 29th 03, 05:29 PM
nJb

Jeff Cochran wrote:

I'm looking for recommendations on a beginner's kiln for fusing. Been
looking at a Jen-Ken jewelry kiln for about $360, infinite switch and
analog pyrometer, mostly because the dealer I like for my stained
glass is selling these and including an introductory pack of Wasser
glass. Looking at 110v kilns only at this time, if this pans out I'd
have no problem investing in a better/bigger/stronger/etc. kiln in the
future.

Thanks for any suggestions, insights, warnings and so on.

Jeff

If you're looking to fuse jewelry a jewelry kiln will be fine. If you
want to make larger pieces the jewelry kiln will become too small very
fast. If you think you will be going larger it might be better to wait
to purchase and put the $360 toward a larger kiln. If you can rent kiln
space, that may be the best course until you decide whether or not this
is for you.
--
Jack

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/xmissionbobo/
Old October 30th 03, 11:03 AM
suzilem

"nJb" wrote in message
Jeff Cochran wrote:

I'm looking for recommendations on a beginner's kiln for fusing. Been
looking at a Jen-Ken jewelry kiln for about $360, infinite switch and
analog pyrometer, mostly because the dealer I like for my stained
glass is selling these and including an introductory pack of Wasser
glass. Looking at 110v kilns only at this time, if this pans out I'd
have no problem investing in a better/bigger/stronger/etc. kiln in the
future.

If you're looking to fuse jewelry a jewelry kiln will be fine. If you
want to make larger pieces the jewelry kiln will become too small very
fast. If you think you will be going larger it might be better to wait
to purchase and put the $360 toward a larger kiln. If you can rent kiln
space, that may be the best course until you decide whether or not this
is for you.

I agree with Jack, that a smaller kiln becomes too small, too fast. I have
a Paragon Caldera (digital controller) which is perfect for jewelry (and
I expect will be perfect for annealing beads when I start doing lampwork).
Unfortunately, I wanna fuse and slump plates and dishes and the little
6x6x6 cavity is annoying me. :-( I don't have room in my apartment
for a larger kiln, so I'm making do with what I have. Poor me. ;-)

I do recommend the digital controller over the analog controller. With
the programming capability, I just put the shelf of jewelry in, push
the button and I don't need to babysit the kiln until it's time to flash
drop the temp at the end. Much preferable to the analog controller.
Also, a given fusing sequence that "works" is easily reproducible.

Sue
www.austinlastingimages.com

Old October 30th 03, 04:19 PM
Beadseeker

Jeff,
I would agree that the 6 x 6 is too small. Check out www.warmglass.com, there
are some good recommendations on there about which kiln to buy. I have a Jen
Ken octagonal kiln w/infinite controller and viewing window which I bought from
Marty at Centre de Verre (there's a link for C de V on the warmglass site)..
Runs on 110. I'm very pleased with it. (I'm a firephobe so I'm never going to
do lampwork)
Patti.
Old November 6th 03, 06:49 PM
Jerry Maske

I tell all my fusing students about kilns, and, basically, I say,
imagine the largest piece you think you will ever want to do, then buy a
kiln twice that size.

It's a bit extreme, but you will be amazed how fast you outgrow ANY
kiln. And as far as controllers go, get a digital controller unless you
are really good at sticking your head in a 1500 degree kiln to see what
the glass is actually doing. Annealing will bite you pretty good too if
you don't have a controller.

Good luck,
Jerry

Jeff Cochran wrote:

I'm looking for recommendations on a beginner's kiln for fusing. Been
looking at a Jen-Ken jewelry kiln for about $360, infinite switch and
analog pyrometer, mostly because the dealer I like for my stained
glass is selling these and including an introductory pack of Wasser
glass. Looking at 110v kilns only at this time, if this pans out I'd
have no problem investing in a better/bigger/stronger/etc. kiln in the
future.

Thanks for any suggestions, insights, warnings and so on.

Jeff

--
? Angel Antics Glass Crafters ?
Fine Art Glass, Kaleidoscopes and

Old November 7th 03, 03:02 AM
Paul

When I bought my first kiln I followed the advice to "buy as big as I
could afford" -- the result was the Jen Ken in this pictu
http://www.izm.com/glass/open.jpg

While I don't regret the purchase, I don't think buying a small one
would have been such a bad thing. I run a lot of tests with the kiln
mostly empty -- and probably will be buying a small kiln too.

If I had bought a small one first I would have learned a bit that
might have changed my choice for a large kiln. I wouldn't buy a kiln
today with a brick lid -- too much hassle with particulate falling.

I do agree that a controller is a smart investment regardless of size.

There's nothing wrong with starting small.

- Paul

(the address is not valid - please replace 'google'
with 'paul' if emailing me)

Old November 7th 03, 12:37 PM
Lauri Levanto

Good advise, Jerry!

I bought the biggest kiln I could afford -considering the door size of my
studio, too. I did not pay attention to the electricity need
and it costed an arm and few toes to install a hevier wiring!

Now I have an urge to order a smaller kiln, too for testing and electricity
savings.
-lauri

Old November 9th 03, 08:45 PM
Barbara Otterson

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 13:49:56 -0500, Jerry Maske
wrote:

I tell all my fusing students about kilns, and, basically, I say,
imagine the largest piece you think you will ever want to do, then buy a
kiln twice that size.

It's a bit extreme, but you will be amazed how fast you outgrow ANY
kiln. And as far as controllers go, get a digital controller unless you
are really good at sticking your head in a 1500 degree kiln to see what
the glass is actually doing. Annealing will bite you pretty good too if
you don't have a controller.

Excellent advice. Advice I should have followed when laying
out my original studio. Now I need one twice as large.... good
thing I'm moving.........
Barbara
Dream Master
www.dreamweaverstudio.com

Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower.
~~ Albert Camus

Another Fantasy Question - Fusing Harry Beads 22 April 19th 04 06:26 AM
Good news, and agonizing over kiln purchase Kalera Stratton Beads 14 October 17th 03 02:11 AM
Good news, and agonizing over kiln purchase Kalera Stratton Beads 0 October 14th 03 06:11 PM
Seeking Kiln Advice saucy Beads 5 August 11th 03 04:18 AM
Kiln question Kalera Stratton Beads 13 July 11th 03 06:35 AM