It's time to clean house

Old May 13th 10, 01:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Default It's time to clean house

I'm out of space. My sewing room is useless and overflowing with ....
stuff. So I'm going to take out all the fabric I know I won't use. No
more 'oh, I might need this to back something one day'. I am going to
have a sale and get rid of all the stuff that I bought on huge sales
just because it was cheap, never mind ugly. And most of what Janae
left me, too. I have so much fabric that was intended for clothing and
so much quilting fabric (really good quality) that is absolutely NOT
me. And then there is that aqua and green Amy Butler piece that I had
to have and then couldn't cut and now I can't stand. I'm even going to
sell all those narrow strips and selvages that I couldn't stand to
throw away. I'm gonna bag 'em up and and sell them for $1 a bag. LOL
Wish me luck, it's going to take firm resolve, but I have to reclaim
my sewing room so I can get back to making what I want to. It's just
too hard to have to step over stuff that will never, ever be useful to
me.

Sunny
Old May 13th 10, 02:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
J*

surely some of those fabs are worth much much more to folks than just a $1 a
bag.
ok maybe some tiny scraps but if you're tossing out bigger pieces,
consider the size of those pieces before you price them for sale. please.
no point in selling too cheapaas folks might not respect the fabric for what
it is.
just my two centavos,
j.

"Sunny"wrote...

Old May 13th 10, 03:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default It's time, how to - garage sale?

Atta girl, Sunny. Go for it! Having your space cleared so you can do what
makes you happy is heaps and gobs more important than storing stuff that
you're not going to use. I can paint a Grandma Moses painting in the middle
of a landfill or the intersection of I-10 and Hwy 59 - but - I need clear
and clean when I quilt. There are probably lots of tricks and tips on
having a grandly successful garage sale. Since this group is authority on
all things, I hope the Garage Sale experts will give you some guidance.
Polly

Old May 13th 10, 03:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise in Iowa[_2_]

Oh, I wish I lived near you. I love getting fabric at garage sales.
--
Louise in Iowa
nieland1390@mchsi dot com

Old May 13th 10, 04:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

On May 12, 7:57*pm, Sunny wrote:
[...]

Good luck, Sunny. I did the same thing about 3 weeks ago; SIL had a
garage sale
and I bagged up scraps I knew I'd never use. Even some very, very
thick/stiff
polyester batting I never could figure out how to mail to Jill without
it costing
a fortune. Most of the decisions I don't regret. I love having culled
down to just
things I love.
But I realized, sitting in our metal lawn chairs, they could use a
pad. I thought, oh, I could use that green fabric...WOOPS, I sold it.
And I can use that stupid ultrathick batting...
WOOPS, I sold that too. Murphy's law in action. You don't want it till
it's gone.
Still I am very happy for the order that I have now in the sewing
room.

Sherry
Old May 13th 10, 04:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Louise, I also love getting fabric at garage sales. That's part of my
problem, lol. Most of what is going out the door is fabric that I
didn't buy. Although, I'm going to clear out my scraps also. And many
of them are cut into 2" and 2.5" strips. Don't worry, I will price the
good fabric accordingly. I have some big pieces (4 yards) that Janae
left that are gorgeous and beautiful and coordinated even though all
three are big prints. And also other yardage that's good. Like I said,
I have two pieces of big patterned Amy Butler (I think it was one of
her first lines) that I HAD TO HAVE and then stuck back. Now I'm just
done with it. I need space to work. I need clean work surfaces. And I
think I know better what I want to do than I used to.

I'm going in with my friend for the sale. Her location is perfect. And
I already know that if the ad in the newspaper says 'fabric' that the
quilters will swoop down and clean up out. Yay!

Sunny
Old May 13th 10, 04:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Find the contact number for a local quilt guild and they probably would
gladly announce your sale. Mention fabric in an ad and you will get a good
turnout for that too.
Taria

Old May 13th 10, 01:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Good for you! Here are some inspirational quotes from a professional
clutter-clearer:

"Clutter is trapped energy. It keeps you stuck in the past and
prevents good new things from coming to you."
"While clearing, focus on what you are making space for, and what you
want to invite into your life: new friends, a business opportunity..."
"Make an appointment with yourself -and show up!"

And her practical tips:
-Tackle the easiest point on your list first.
-Clear using different boxes or bags: rubbish, returns, repairs,
charity, friends, sale, etc
-Wear a color that cheers you up and listen to upbeat music.
-Always clear from the inside out, and be aware of the fact that it
will get worse before it gets better.
-Reorganize while clearing, find a permanent home for everything.
-Start with clearing the easier things, progress to more challenging
clutter like gifts or photograhs, then graduate to clearing out mental
clutter or habits you have outgrown.
-Always focus on what you have achieved already, not what is still to
do!

"Clutter clearing is a transformational tool you can use to regain
energy, a sense of purpose and enjoyment. You are what you are, not
what you have!"
Roberta in D

Old May 13th 10, 08:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Laity Price

Once you have made the decision to part with the fabric don't be
tempted to bring it back in the house. Decide now what will be done
with any fabric that does not sell. Deliver it straight from the
closed garage sale to the donation location.

Susan

Old May 13th 10, 08:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy in CNY

Sunny,
a couple years ago i did the same thing. my sister did too, we had a
combined GS. and i took all the fabric
she didnt want and mine that i didnt want and measured and priced each
piece. i rolled each piece and tied it
with old ribbon and trims i didnt want...bonus for the buyer...i
charged $3/yd for anything under 36 inches, $2/yd for anything up to 2
yards and $1/yd for anything over 2 yrds. it broke out pretty evenly
per piece. we sold ALL of it. there were women at my garage at 7:30 in
the morning! and were only there for fabric!
good luck with your sale!
amy in CNY

it is a good time to really clean stashes [email protected] Needlework 2 May 4th 09 11:15 AM
House Of Gods & House Of Kings [email protected] Beads 0 January 4th 08 12:40 PM
OT CLEAN Roberta Zollner Quilting 10 April 29th 06 01:01 PM
Eye Clean Jack Schmidling Jewelry 4 February 15th 06 05:07 AM
OT - HOW TO CLEAN THE HOUSE LN \(remove NOSPAM\) Quilting 8 December 11th 04 04:18 AM