Help Request: setting small 3mm heart stones

Old January 27th 06, 04:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry

Default Help Request: setting small 3mm heart stones

Hi, all. This is my first post to this group and was referred here by
another silversmith. I have a number of 3mm topaz and want to either
make silver setting for them or, failing that, find a source for
silver heads. I do lapidary and silver work, but my setting have been
limited to bezels on cabochons. I also buy heads from Tripp's and Rio
and then incorporate faceted stones into the stuff I do. I recently
purchased a parcel of topaz and part of it was a bunch of 3mm hearts.
They wouold be great as accents to larger stones, but I have to find a
way to set them. Making a handmade prong setting that small would be
tough I think and before I attempt it, I thought I would seek help. I
haven't worked with PMC, but was considering it using a torch. I
doubt that topaz would hold up while firing like corundum does(does
it?) Anyway, I will definitely appreciate any help on this.
Otherwise, I just have a bunch of loose stones with nowhere to go )

Old January 27th 06, 05:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry

First of all, blue topaz will turn white during heating. It is also why it
tends to fade when it has been in the sun awhile and warmed up. If you had
to do it in PMC, what you can do is use the same size in cz's, fire the
piece, then break the cz's out which sometimes is very easy to do, other
times not. Then just replace the stones with the topaz.

Simpler way for a newbie at setting faceted stones: Make your mounting
first. Then line up how you want the faceted stone to sit and place the
tiny-est amount of crazy glue with a pin point between the stone and
mounting to hold it there in its seat. With pliers, then carefully bend the
prongs over the stone a little at a time and do one prong, go opposite
prong, then next prong, opposite prong, etc. Then do final tightening. A
few minutes soak in acetone will remove the crazy glue. Wash well, rinse
very well. Then set your cabs. Just note that many cabs are color
treated and the acetone will remove some or all of the color as well. Nor
is it safe for stones such as turquoise or coral.

Judy Shaw
Grad. Jeweler-Gemologist

"So Ida, Adios" wrote in message
news Hi, all. This is my first post to this group and was referred here by
[...]

allset - beginner stone setting ph Jewelry 1 January 19th 04 07:22 PM
Good link for setting stones and other objects for the non-metalsmith Marisa Cappetta Beads 9 January 6th 04 01:05 AM
Setting Stones In Wood mrkndne Jewelry 1 December 21st 03 05:26 AM
Pendant setting of small hand hoding a approx 1 carat diamond wanted. skip Jewelry 0 November 15th 03 10:09 PM
Trick to Setting Stones In Stamped Bezels? Dale Jewelry 5 October 16th 03 10:51 AM