new featherweight

Old August 7th 05, 04:38 AM
Elizabeth Wilson

Default new featherweight

My Dh brought me a featherweight from England for our anniversary. Of
course, she runs on 220 cuurent rather than 110 and needs a little tlc from
the singer man, but she will amke a good baby sister for my american-made
machine. My "Scottie" didn't come with a carrying case or attachments but my
American model is fully equiped so the "girls" can share.

Elizabeth in Spring, Texas

Old August 7th 05, 12:39 PM
Carolyn McCarty

Congratulations, Elizabeth! I am a tad envious...though what I would do
with a machine that I couldn't use because of the 220/110 difference, I
don't quite know. But what fun! Will you be able to use her?

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you aren't trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools --Red Green

Old August 7th 05, 02:14 PM
Elizabeth Wilson

I am first going to take her to my local Singer shop for a thorought
cleaning and overall -- I'll ask them there if I can get her rewired or just
use a converter. It is my understanding that she will run on 110 current,
just slower. The damage is done trying to use 220 cuurent on a machine wired
for 110. We'll see.

He paid the equivalent of about $150 for her (my first fw cost $20). I never
thought I would be a sewing machine collector, but I have managed to acquire
quite a few!

Old August 7th 05, 04:54 PM
teleflora

They were selling for $795 at the Oklahoma City Quilt show last weekend! I
saw a white one(original paint) and a red one (repainted) go home with
people while I was there. He also had them in gold, purple, blue; black and
bright green.

Cindy

Old August 9th 05, 07:53 PM
Bonnie Patterson

Most of us in the US have 220 coming into our homes, electric stoves,
dryers, hot water heaters, some window air conditioners, and other
appliances run on 220. They use special plugs and receptacles so that
110 appliances don't get plugged into the 220.

An electrician could run a new 220 line to your sewing area, and
instal the proper receptacle. The wire size doesn't have to be the
#10-3 like the stove has, 12-3 or 14-3 would work. Code calls for 12-2
with ground for 110 receptacles, (that is 2 conductors, 220 requires 3
conductors). (ex-husband was an electrical contractor)

Bonnie, in Middletown, VA