new-to-me Featherweight!

Old January 3rd 09, 10:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary

Default new-to-me Featherweight!

I just got a Featherweight! It runs beautifully, and has all
attachments, the book, and the button-hole kit. I just oiled and
cleaned it up, put in a new needle, and have run it to check the
tension. What a treasure! It was made in 1950, looks very, very
good, and was apparently very well treated over the years. The case is
a disaster and not worth fixing -- with dried glue, etc., there is no
way I would ever trust it. However, I have a new case on order, and
will move the foot-pedal holder from the old case to the new one, and
should have it in my hands in a week or two. Meanwhile, the machine
is waiting patiently on a table, covered with a tea towel. I am
delighted! It joins a White treadle machine that was my grandmother's
(the one she taught me to sew on many years ago) and a wonderful
Singer 99K.
Old January 3rd 09, 10:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carolyn McCarty

Congratulations, Mary! I hope you get as much use and pleasure out of your
FW as I do out of mine.

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green

Old January 3rd 09, 10:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

On Jan 3, 4:07�pm, Mary wrote:
I just got a Featherweight! �It runs beautifully, and has all
attachments, the book, and the button-hole kit. �I just oiled and
cleaned it up, put in a new needle, and have run it to check the
tension. �What a treasure! �It was made in 1950, looks very, very
good, and was apparently very well treated over the years. The case is
a disaster and not worth fixing -- with dried glue, etc., there is no
way I would ever trust it. �However, I have a new case on order, and
will move the foot-pedal holder from the old case to the new one, and
should have it in my hands in a week or two. �Meanwhile, the machine
is waiting patiently on a table, covered with a tea towel. �I am
delighted! �It joins a White treadle machine that was my grandmother's
(the one she taught me to sew on many years ago) and a wonderful
Singer 99K.

Oooo. I am so jealous. :-) Featherweights are just so cute. They
look like a baby 15-91 to me. (and they're probably just as much
of a workhorse)

Sherry
Old January 4th 09, 06:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article
,
Mary wrote:

I just got a Featherweight! It runs beautifully, and has all
attachments, the book, and the button-hole kit. I just oiled and
cleaned it up, put in a new needle, and have run it to check the
tension. What a treasure! It was made in 1950, looks very, very
good, and was apparently very well treated over the years. The case is
a disaster and not worth fixing -- with dried glue, etc., there is no
way I would ever trust it. However, I have a new case on order, and
will move the foot-pedal holder from the old case to the new one, and
should have it in my hands in a week or two. Meanwhile, the machine
is waiting patiently on a table, covered with a tea towel. I am
delighted! It joins a White treadle machine that was my grandmother's
(the one she taught me to sew on many years ago) and a wonderful
Singer 99K.

Congratulations, Mary! I hope you'll enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old January 9th 09, 12:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary

The new case just arrived for the featherweight, and it is great! I
am going to transfer the footpedal holder fron the lid of the old case
to the lid of the new case -- it works perfectly, so why not? And the
new case has a plastic box attached to the side of the box at the
upper left, so if the screws are in the right place I'll move the old
metal box to the new case, too. Any advice about all this from all
the experts out there?

New Featherweight elspeth Quilting 4 February 18th 06 06:26 PM
Featherweight QuiltiM Quilting 3 September 17th 04 10:12 AM
Featherweight !!!! D & D Quilting 1 April 13th 04 01:18 AM
Another E-Bay Featherweight Tip KittyG Quilting 5 October 30th 03 01:00 PM