My niece wants to learn...

Old October 15th 06, 03:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary Anna

Default My niece wants to learn...

My 9 year old niece spent the night with us last night, and asked me what I
was doing while I was sewing some squares together. I told her that I was
learning how to make quilts and she immediately asked "Can you teach me
how?" Well, of course I was happy to do that!

I wasn't sure if she'd like it or not, but after she sewed her first few
squares together, she informed me that she will be spending more time with
me so that we can learn together and make a quilt! I thought that was
great, lol! I took photos of some of what we did if anyone wants to take a
look and let us know how we are doing. The one that looks sort of like
watercolor paints is my niece's handiwork, and the one with the hearts is
mine. We've been taking a back stitch at the beginning and end of the
sewing line and also one or two in the middle to help anchor the thread. Is
that the correct thing to do?

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...54831664fPBNVI

Not great stitches for either one of us, but hey, we're just learning! I
was pretty impressed with Katybug's (ny nickname for her, lol!) first
attempts. I think if she sticks with it, she'll do very well. I hope she
does; it would be so wonderful if we could actually complete a quilt
together. She seem really excited by the idea. I'm planning on it being
just a smaller patchwork quilt; I don't want to overwhelm her to start off.

--
Mary Anna in NY
Old October 15th 06, 03:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate G.

What fun! Looks like you are off to a great start! I agree with your thinking -- that a backstitch
at the beginning, end... and every so often along the seam is a good thing.

Can't wait to see your finished projects!

Kate in MI

Old October 15th 06, 06:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

You and your neice might like to try Manx quilting. The
instructions are posted at -
http://tinyurl.com/y43699

It used to be the task of the young girls in Manx households
to make the blocks for quilts. This was how they learned to
sew.
--

Cheryl & the Cats in OZ
o o o o o o

:
[...]
: --
: Mary Anna in NY

Old October 15th 06, 02:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Pretty fabrics, nice running stitches! I usually load about 3 little running
stitches on the needle and pull the thread through, then start the next
needle load with a backstitch.

You can skip the knot at the beginning and end by starting with a few
running stitches going the opposite direction, pull the thread through until
there's just a quarter inch of tail, that's enough to hold while you stitch
back over it. Then finish by running a few stitches back.
Roberta in D

Old October 15th 06, 03:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary Anna

Cherly, I am absolutely facinated with the manx quilts after looking at
those pictures! They are beautiful! Now I am thinking that I will ask
Katybug if she'd rather do one of those instead of a patchwork. I
skimmed through the directions; it looks like it would actually be
easier than a patchwork pattern. She's also having some trouble with
knotting thread, so I think the continuous stitching line would appeal
to her.

And along that same line, Roberta...thanks for the tip about using
running stitches instead of knots. We will definately be trying that!

Mary Anna in NY

Old October 15th 06, 04:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Foster

In article ,
Mary Anna wrote:

[...]

How wonderful! The two of you learning together will be such fun. The
backstitches are definitely necessary in hand piecing -- I usually take
one every third, fourth, or fifth stitch, depending on my whim. G
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old October 15th 06, 06:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

WTG, Katybug
Auntie, make sure it ends up being a 'usable' size. Every so often have her
measure it up against herself that way she can decide when it is big enuf.
Remember trying to teach the neighbor gal to crochet....she was doing good
and then started wavering on one end. Told her it had to be redone--she was
FINE with that until her Mom piped up. She yelled "YOU NEVER LIKE ANYTHING I
DO" and threw it down and that was that. I explained to her Mom that it was
all a process of learning and I STILL had to tear a few rows out now and
then. She never did come back
Tell her that frog-stitching must be learned correctly, too

We got us another one

Butterfly

Old October 17th 06, 02:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carolyn McCarty

Nice! I think it's a grand idea, learning together. Hope you and your
niece have lots of fun learning this new skill!

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green